Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

I am having fun taking on the energy companies billing systems at the moment.

I took Octopus to the Ombudsman and he has just ruled in my favour.

Now it looks like British Gas are next on the list for my dad's account.

He had been having issues with them refusing to accept the actual meter reading because it was lower than their estimate - this has gone on for a long time and the estimates getting wilder and wilder.

I have now taken this up - they still refused to accept the actual meter reading despite photos etc - eventually I raised a formal complaint and after quite a bit more too and fro, they finally accepted the correct reading - but having revised this down massively, they said it was all sorted ....only the new statement just changes the meter reading, but doesn't actually apply any credit for that. I pointed this out to them and they offered £50 compensation but assured me the bill was correct (it clearly isn't). Obviously I refused this and showed them the correct workings for standing charges and Energy used (or in this case not used) and also the direct debit payments made on the account...ie what the bill should be doing.

Their latest response is that the figures are worked out by the billing system and they can't do anything about it, but they will give £150 compensation and that is their final offer.

Clearly the billing system is wrong, but they just won't admit this - presumably because that opens the floodgates to loads of people claiming against them. I am begining to wonder if their new billing system was written by the same people who created Horizon.

I am having fun taking on the energy companies billing systems at the moment.

I took Octopus to the Ombudsman and he has just ruled in my favour.

Now it looks like British Gas are next on the list for my dad's account.

He had been having issues with them refusing to accept the actual meter reading because it was lower than their estimate - this has gone on for a long time and the estimates getting wilder and wilder.

I have now taken this up - they still refused to accept the actual meter reading despite photos etc - eventually I raised a formal complaint and after quite a bit more too and fro, they finally accepted the correct reading - but having revised this down massively, they said it was all sorted ....only the new statement just changes the meter reading, but doesn't actually apply any credit for that. I pointed this out to them and they offered £50 compensation but assured me the bill was correct (it clearly isn't). Obviously I refused this and showed them the correct workings for standing charges and Energy used (or in this case not used) and also the direct debit payments made on the account...ie what the bill should be doing.

Their latest response is that the figures are worked out by the billing system and they can't do anything about it, but they will give £150 compensation and that is their final offer.

Clearly the billing system is wrong, but they just won't admit this - presumably because that opens the floodgates to loads of people claiming against them. I am begining to wonder if their new billing system was written by the same people who created Horizon.
They are f***ing thieves

Before the supposed April price drop, the cheapest fixed term monthly EDF were offering me was 165 pm. After the drop, they cheapest theyre offering me is 195 pm.
How the fuck does that work!?

Why is a direct debit tariff cheaper than paying monthly or quarterly in arrears? That needs to be fcking answered.

In theory because it is cheaper and easier for them to collect and nobody gets in arrears - but they clearly abuse this and build up loads of credit beyond what is needed.

In my opinion, there should also be an option of paying monthly direct debit, but paying the amount on the bill, not a set monthly amount (obviously this will be much bigger in winter but no worse than the old traditional method of paying quarterly bills on demand)

Why is a direct debit tariff cheaper than paying monthly or quarterly in arrears? That needs to be fcking answered.
Because they want your money in their bank
In theory because it is cheaper and easier for them to collect and nobody gets in arrears - but they clearly abuse this and build up loads of credit beyond what is needed.

In my opinion, there should also be an option of paying monthly direct debit, but paying the amount on the bill, not a set monthly amount (obviously this will be much bigger in winter but no worse than the old traditional method of paying quarterly bills on demand)
Agreed

Last edited:

I do this and I’m with Eon .
I changed over a couple of years ago when the prices started rising and it’s worked out really well for us as I keep a very close eye on what we use . I don’t think they actively promote it but if you ring up they’ll change you to monthly bill dd.
I worked out what I thought was a reasonable monthly payment and when the bill comes in less than that I put my ‘credit’ in a savings account ready for the winter months.

I've been away a few days so not using any gas/electric bar the fridge running which is next to nowt, according to the meter I'm still paying £2 a day so £60 a month just for the standing charges. Is this normal?

I've been away a few days so not using any gas/electric bar the fridge running which is next to nowt, according to the meter I'm still paying £2 a day so £60 a month just for the standing charges. Is this normal?
Just the fridge - are you sure you've got nowt else plugged in & drawing power even if on standby?
eg...
TV
Sky box
microwave
oven
alarm clock

It all adds up.

Last edited:
Just the fridge - are you sure you've got nowt else plugged in & drawing power even if on standby?
eg...
TV
Sky box
microwave
oven
alarm clock

It all adds up.
I guess so, usage showing as 3p/hr so 72p a day. Even so, that's still equates to about £40 a month in standing charges, I guess that's classed as nowt these days, I'm still living in 1990s.....

This used to be a thing, I did this for years with some supplier, much preferred it.

Ovo send me a letter every month begging me to sign back up to the direct debit.

I told them to get fucked when they wanted the DD set at £250pm.

I’ve got a grand sat in an ISA just now that gets added to each month that pays the bills as and when they arrive.

I’ll never bother with a DD for energy again.

I've switched to outfox the market. 10% off current rates and no exit fees.

Only takes 3 days to fully switch now, it's been ages since I've switched.
i've looked at that 12 month fix with no exit fees and the martin lewis calculator recons its cheaper for my usage by 11% based on what they predict the cap will do. think i might go for that. can always jump ship.

i've looked at that 12 month fix with no exit fees and the martin lewis calculator recons its cheaper for my usage by 11% based on what they predict the cap will do. think i might go for that. can always jump ship.
That's my logic. Nowt to lose with no exit fees really.

Back