Energy Prices - are they taking the piss???

I was with Shell until Octopus bought them out. Since the transfer to Octopus I've had nowt but bother with them. Wrong readings, wrong charges and now they want to increase my DD payment by 50%. I've spoken to them and they flatly refuse to leave my monthly payments as they are. I thought they were supposed to be the best of a bad bunch but they seem like a load of tossers. Are they really this bad?

Thankfully my fixed rate deal runs out at the end of August so I won't have long to put up with them.

I've switched to outfox the market. 10% off current rates and no exit fees.

Only takes 3 days to fully switch now, it's been ages since I've switched.

Just done a comparison on MSE, these are about 14% cheaper for me (higher user) signed up today, as you say 3 days to switch and no exit fees. Happy days compared to last april.

I was with Shell until Octopus bought them out. Since the transfer to Octopus I've had nowt but bother with them. Wrong readings, wrong charges and now they want to increase my DD payment by 50%. I've spoken to them and they flatly refuse to leave my monthly payments as they are. I thought they were supposed to be the best of a bad bunch but they seem like a load of tossers. Are they really this bad?

Thankfully my fixed rate deal runs out at the end of August so I won't have long to put up with them.
You can reduce your DD via the Octopus App

Where is the comparison bit I might have a look

Sign up if you haven't already, input your usage etc and it will search for you.

Sign up if you haven't already, input your usage etc and it will search for you.
Cheers mate.
Just been doing my sums with my car usage and think I need to switch (ovo stopped proper smart charging with my car)

Cancel the DD and pay on receipt of bill.

What's happened like?
Its just a software access thing.
Hopefully getting sorted and only affects certain chargers which is why I might sit tight a few weeks.
Can still access cheap overnight though which is when I charge mine 90% of the time anyway, just handy plugging it in and letting it charge whenever grid is quiet though.

Its just a software access thing.
Hopefully getting sorted and only affects certain chargers which is why I might sit tight a few weeks.
Can still access cheap overnight though which is when I charge mine 90% of the time anyway, just handy plugging it in and letting it charge whenever grid is quiet though.
Things that would help and needs to happen if they want everyone to jump into an EV, universal, cross platform software and apps for car chargers, and suppliers going forward.

Things that would help and needs to happen if they want everyone to jump into an EV, universal, cross platform software and apps for car chargers, and suppliers going forward.
It's more of a new security thing tbh, jaguar don't want to allow any more third party access to the cars systems which is fair enough.
All people need to sort which I think they are working on now is for ovo just to talk to my charger not to my car which happens with some other chargers/cars.
I think some of it is probably off the back of the JLR/ Rangey theft spike, clamped right down quickly but now need to get some things working again.
I agree on the charging network like, just needs to be universal or tap your debit card (some do now)
Luckily I rarely ever public charge

Interesting, I was with Shell and gone to Octopus and my initial feel was that they are an improvement on Shell, who I thought had gone down hill a lot. Will have to keep a closer look at the bill, so far they have been about what I expected so haven’t looked in detail. They did give the option to fix the new rate in April for a year which I took, so thought that gave me a reasonable price for a year without worrying about increases.
It only lets me reduce it by £10. Anything more and I have to contact them.
I just do the variable DD so pay the actual bill each time

Last edited:

Back