Embarrassment

I'm fine with mistakes, no problem whatsoever, but there's levels. The shortest ever coaching stint is the 2nd self-imposed catastrophe in as many months.
So we what go up for sale every time someone makes a couple of errors is that it? Thank god some of our fans aren’t in charge this full thread is embarrassing.

I think the masks have started to fall.....the hiding behind "The Model" slogan is now starting to show the truth.....This summer's transfer window is their biggest and final test. All will be revealed by August 31st if they are ambitious or not

They’ll plough on with the model it will probably go out the window in next years January window if we are 18th or below

I'm not saying he is any of those things you have stated, I personally believe a lot of the stuff towards him has been blown massively out of water, however, let's say he was, they were unable to forecast or recognise that potential, that's literally their job.
and remember they always bang on about data, spreadsheets, research......its obviously all bullshit that comes out of their mouths

I would argue that it was the appointment of Beale that was the misstep, not the admitting their mistake and firing him.

With regards to not seeking to appoint a permanent replacement now, for all we know it could be because they’ve got their absolute top choice lined up to come in the summer but since he’s already employed elsewhere they can’t announce as such.

Howard, you know me, I'm keen on the setup too but the bit in bold..... come on now. :lol:
So we what go up for sale every time someone makes a couple of errors is that it? Thank god some of our fans aren’t in charge this full thread is embarrassing.

No, I haven't asked for anything to go on sale, your conclusion is pretty daft.

Last edited:
I'm not saying he is any of those things you have stated, I personally believe a lot of the stuff towards him has been blown massively out of water, however, let's say he was, they were unable to forecast or recognise that potential, that's literally their job.
I suspect they've focussed solely on Beale's qualities as a coach because that in theory is what they want. A Head Coach still needs to manage; players and fans. Beale isn't up to that. It just feels like a failed experiment.

For me, the next big issue, is, who would want to come and replace Beale.

It's a great point, the interview might as well go, we'll give you a go but if the fans aren't keen and your opening results are slightly less than before you can have a payoff.

I suspect they've focussed solely on Beale's qualities as a coach because that in theory is what they want. A Head Coach still needs to manage; players and fans. Beale isn't up to that. It just feels like a failed experiment.

Yep, I suspect you're right, I would have made that mistake as well but I don't expect them to, to the tune of two months and a liked coach binned.

The one thing that the owner had going for him, at least in my eyes, was the on-pitch stuff was process-driven and highly ambitious in thought and strategy.

Today wasn't that, however it has come about, they're responsible for the shortest stint of a Sunderland coach in my lifetime, appointed a caretaker is effectively saying that they do not trust themselves after the mess they have made or have given up on the rest of the season and the cherry on the cake a player badly needed has gone elsewhere.

Not sure how they could have gone so wrong in the space of 2 months, two and a half years is more than enough for them to be aligned at the top, something they don't appear to be. Beyond embarrassed of them this evening.

I think it reflects well that he’s realised his mistake - although I’m pretty sure if he’d listened to anyone before he took him on he’d have done a lot better 🙄

I think it reflects well that he’s realised his mistake - although I’m pretty sure if he’d listened to anyone before he took him on he’d have done a lot better 🙄

Fair do's, I'm utterly embarrassed by them this evening, think it's cemented the issues and doubt.

The one thing that the owner had going for him, at least in my eyes, was the on-pitch stuff was process-driven and highly ambitious in thought and strategy.

Today wasn't that, however it has come about, they're responsible for the shortest stint of a Sunderland coach in my lifetime, appointed a caretaker is effectively saying that they do not trust themselves after the mess they have made or have given up on the rest of the season and the cherry on the cake a player badly needed has gone elsewhere.

Not sure how they could have gone so wrong in the space of 2 months, two and a half years is more than enough for them to be aligned at the top, something they don't appear to be. Beyond embarrassed of them this evening.
I’m not going to go all or nothing on Speakman. He has done a hell of a lot of good within the club especially our improvement at academy level which will come good for us. He hasn’t got the last bit right though. He appears to have too much power and little check and challenge and decision making has to be shared to be safe.

How on earth did they choose Beale in the first place? And how did they ever think he'd be better than TM? I'm guessing TM told them they didn't know what they were doing... so they got rid... but the events today just seem to confirm that they don't really know what they're doing....
And he'd be right.

They got that one right. Neil was brilliant for us.

They got this majorly wrong, they’ve corrected it. I’m not happy they sacked TM to appoint Beale, but I think it would have been worse to persist with him when it was clear it wasn’t getting any better.
Might have been better to back the manager in situ , with the strengthening of the two positions he was concerned about ,with experienced players .
I'm talking about Mowbray not Beale .

Last edited:

Back