Elite Dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.
So,erm what's the crack with engineers? Went to farseer cos I (thought I'd) finally got all the shit for G5 FSD range mods. When I arrive I've had to revert my 4 to 3 and despite having G5 access I can't even get a g4 f***ing mod. :evil:

Also have mats/ blueprints changed cos it seems I'm missing one bit for the mod now even though I could've sworn I had everything.

So,erm what's the crack with engineers? Went to farseer cos I (thought I'd) finally got all the shit for G5 FSD range mods. When I arrive I've had to revert my 4 to 3 and despite having G5 access I can't even get a g4 f***ing mod. :evil:

Also have mats/ blueprints changed cos it seems I'm missing one bit for the mod now even though I could've sworn I had everything.
Any modifications from pre 3.0 are now classed as 'legacy' which means they have to be converted to the new engineering system. This means that you will suffer a reduction of one G level for whatever legacy mod is being converted. Your legacy G5 access no longer exists. I had a bit of a rant about this a few pages back as all my modules were now legacy G5 and, although I could have just left them at that, the new system removes the random aspect of engineering so if you have the materials you can improve all modules to the same maximum G level.

Unfortunately if you have converted from legacy G4 to new G3 you will need to work your way up through G3 to G4 then up to G5 so the mats required are:

G3 = Phosphorous, Chemical Processors, Strange Wake Solutions
G4 = Manganese, Chemical Distillery, Eccentric Hyperspace Trajectories
G5 = Arsenic, Chemical Manipulators, Datamined Wake Exceptions.

I can take 6-12 rolls on G5 to reach max value and unlock the blueprint.

Any modifications from pre 3.0 are now classed as 'legacy' which means they have to be converted to the new engineering system. This means that you will suffer a reduction of one G level for whatever legacy mod is being converted. Your legacy G5 access no longer exists. I had a bit of a rant about this a few pages back as all my modules were now legacy G5 and, although I could have just left them at that, the new system removes the random aspect of engineering so if you have the materials you can improve all modules to the same maximum G level.

Unfortunately if you have converted from legacy G4 to new G3 you will need to work your way up through G3 to G4 then up to G5 so the mats required are:

G3 = Phosphorous, Chemical Processors, Strange Wake Solutions
G4 = Manganese, Chemical Distillery, Eccentric Hyperspace Trajectories
G5 = Arsenic, Chemical Manipulators, Datamined Wake Exceptions.

I can take 6-12 rolls on G5 to reach max value and unlock the blueprint.
So if Im understanding I'll have to roll a few G3 to unlock G4 then a load of G4 to unlock G5. Going to need a shit load of mats to do that.

Pain in the arse by the sounds of it. Only want to increase my jump range. Doubles the grind at least.

So if Im understanding I'll have to roll a few G3 to unlock G4 then a load of G4 to unlock G5. Going to need a shit load of mats to do that.

Pain in the arse by the sounds of it. Only want to increase my jump range. Doubles the grind at least.
Yup. hence my previous rant. I'd already engineered every single module in every ship to old G5 and then had to start all over again engineering them from new G4 to new G5. :evil:

Yup. hence my previous rant. I'd already engineered every single module in every ship to old G5 and then had to start all over again engineering them from new G4 to new G5. :evil:
So why still have the requirements to get each engineer to G5 if you then need to upgrade each mod separately. Mad decision from the devs it just makes the engineering more inaccessible.
Not sure if I'll bother now just doesn't seem worth the effort.

So why still have the requirements to get each engineer to G5 if you then need to upgrade each mod separately. Mad decision from the devs it just makes the engineering more inaccessible.
Not sure if I'll bother now just doesn't seem worth the effort.
The big benefit of the new system is that you can remote engineer a module once you've pinned the blueprint without having to travel all the way to the engineer's workshop. Unless you want to add experimental effects of course.

The big benefit of the new system is that you can remote engineer a module once you've pinned the blueprint without having to travel all the way to the engineer's workshop. Unless you want to add experimental effects of course.

or increase your rep with the engineer in question

Engineering has been the ruin of this game IMHO - everything has been sacrificed for this shit mechanic, even the “fixes” have proven to be frustrating

or increase your rep with the engineer in question

Engineering has been the ruin of this game IMHO - everything has been sacrificed for this shit mechanic, even the “fixes” have proven to be frustrating
Thats why I said "once you've pinned the blueprint." Its worth going round all the engineers again and getting them back up to G5. Bit of a pain in the arse but ho hum!

ordered my self a x52 flight stick for arma and in preparation for Star Citizen.

so picked this up while its on sale to have another go.

Bought an Imperial Courier as a stripped down Mats mining dodgem yesterday and spent a couple of hours weaving in and out the asteroid belts in Delkar (just a jump from home at Founders World)

Can’t post pics on here but i’m quite impressed with the new addition to the fleet - Pristina Aguilera :)

Been trying to get into pirating still, what an absolute fuck on for zero reward.

Firstly you have to setup your ship for pirating so you gonk it from the off.

Found my first miner carrying low temp diamonds. Bingo. Pull him out of supercruise, target him, weapons are coming out. "hmm, there seems to be no ore to mine here, im out of here!" and he jumps out before I've got anywhere near him. WTF. Now have to sit on my arse till MY fsd cools down and then I can jump.

^ Happened a few times now.

Spent hours flying around trying to get a working profit doing this. Firstly the miners are like rocky horse shit. You then have to try and get the cargo out without it flying all over space. Shooting their power now doesn't disable them. Shooting their thrusters just sends them spirally though space forever. If they decide to fight back you just have to tank it with shields as your limpets do their work. You then have cargo all over space that you need to pickup before it explodes, and it doesn't last long before it does so you end up losing just about all of it.

Then, when you finally get back to the station to sell it, you have a bill to repair your ship which makes the whole thing f***ing pointless. I can make about 500k (if lucky, usually nothing like that amount) in a few hours of a complete fuck on. OR, I could go back to the boring data/cargo missions and make millions for a 10 minute run which has zero hassle or risk of dying but is boring as fuck. They seem to be dumbing the game down to be nothing but a trading game where you fly from place to place doing sweet FA.

I've basically turned into a space tramp now. I fly about finding old battle remnants and scooping up their cargo/data they have left over...

Been trying to get into pirating still, what an absolute fuck on for zero reward.

Firstly you have to setup your ship for pirating so you gonk it from the off.

Found my first miner carrying low temp diamonds. Bingo. Pull him out of supercruise, target him, weapons are coming out. "hmm, there seems to be no ore to mine here, im out of here!" and he jumps out before I've got anywhere near him. WTF. Now have to sit on my arse till MY fsd cools down and then I can jump.

^ Happened a few times now.

Spent hours flying around trying to get a working profit doing this. Firstly the miners are like rocky horse shit. You then have to try and get the cargo out without it flying all over space. Shooting their power now doesn't disable them. Shooting their thrusters just sends them spirally though space forever. If they decide to fight back you just have to tank it with shields as your limpets do their work. You then have cargo all over space that you need to pickup before it explodes, and it doesn't last long before it does so you end up losing just about all of it.

Then, when you finally get back to the station to sell it, you have a bill to repair your ship which makes the whole thing f***ing pointless. I can make about 500k (if lucky, usually nothing like that amount) in a few hours of a complete fuck on. OR, I could go back to the boring data/cargo missions and make millions for a 10 minute run which has zero hassle or risk of dying but is boring as fuck. They seem to be dumbing the game down to be nothing but a trading game where you fly from place to place doing sweet FA.

I've basically turned into a space tramp now. I fly about finding old battle remnants and scooping up their cargo/data they have left over...
Use collector limpets rather than scooping each item. Makes it quicker and easier. Are you using a interdictor to pull them down? If not you're gonna have to use a big gun to cripple the FSD fast so they can't jump out.

Use collector limpets rather than scooping each item. Makes it quicker and easier. Are you using a interdictor to pull them down? If not you're gonna have to use a big gun to cripple the FSD fast so they can't jump out.

Yep. Hatchbreakers and then 2 limpets to collect. Takes forever when they are sprayed out all over space and by the time you have got loads ejected it's not long before they explode.

Yep use an interdictor to pull them out of cruise. Some of them just jump out before my ship even stops spinning and guns come out. It really is fucked. Totally ruins pirating as it isn't worth all the hassle.

Pirating was never a viable way to earn money even from the start of the game. If you rigged your ship to pirate you had very little space left for cargo holds to actually pick stuff up and the re-sale price was always rubbish.

Yep. Hatchbreakers and then 2 limpets to collect. Takes forever when they are sprayed out all over space and by the time you have got loads ejected it's not long before they explode.

Yep use an interdictor to pull them out of cruise. Some of them just jump out before my ship even stops spinning and guns come out. It really is fucked. Totally ruins pirating as it isn't worth all the hassle.
Gonna have to test this next time I'm on. Never had any bother before. I would dict them weapons out and engage only ever had one runner get away but I'd twatted the shit out of him before he escaped.

Pirating was never a viable way to earn money even from the start of the game. If you rigged your ship to pirate you had very little space left for cargo holds to actually pick stuff up and the re-sale price was always rubbish.

Yep. It's almost like they have gimped it so people won't do it. Which in PvP is fair dues as the place would be swamped with pirates (as well as the gankers) but I want to do it in PVE like I done in the original all those years ago.

Like they keep pushing, every "occupation" should be a viable way of playing, but it isn't. Added into the fact is WAY more dangerous than things like data running it's just a complete waste of time.

Gonna have to test this next time I'm on. Never had any bother before. I would dict them weapons out and engage only ever had one runner get away but I'd twatted the shit out of him before he escaped.

Yeah I done some in my Vulture years ago and never had any run. Gave up back then as the hassle was too much as well and selling the crap you got wasn't worth the effort and repairs. We could actually take out the power plant back then too which made it easier.

Find a miner (look for mining lasers) and pull them out of cruise. If they run they will be away before you even get near them. Get the odd few decide to fight but then that opens up other ballaches like stopping their ship so cargo doesn't get flung all over the place.

Last edited:
So to get access to engineers you just have to do their pre-reqs? Inara says you need to be invited? Is that an either or scenario?

Looking to try and boost my thrusters etc. with Palin but need to be 5000ly away from start point (?). Am I best just fitting out a shit ship with fuel scoop and flying out as far as I can until it triggers and then self destructing? If so best and cheapest ship (aspx?)

@Slippery Jim @Pseudonym Number 1 @ShoutyBearHead

So to get access to engineers you just have to do their pre-reqs? Inara says you need to be invited? Is that an either or scenario?

Looking to try and boost my thrusters etc. with Palin but need to be 5000ly away from start point (?). Am I best just fitting out a shit ship with fuel scoop and flying out as far as I can until it triggers and then self destructing? If so best and cheapest ship (aspx?)

@Slippery Jim @Pseudonym Number 1 @ShoutyBearHead
DBX stripped of everything - and I MEAN everything - costs a lot less than an AspX. Get Farseer to do the FSD and you can get 60Ly per jump.

Coriolis EDCD Edition

Palin is a total pig to gain access to. After you've done the 5kLy from where you started Elite at the very beginning of the game you need to get 25 Thargoid fragments. I'm assuming you've already got the invite from Sirius?

DBX stripped of everything - and I MEAN everything - costs a lot less than an AspX. Get Farseer to do the FSD and you can get 60Ly per jump.

Coriolis EDCD Edition

Palin is a total pig to gain access to. After you've done the 5kLy from where you started Elite at the very beginning of the game you need to get 25 Thargoid fragments. I'm assuming you've already got the invite from Sirius?

Nah need the sirius thing too. What a fuck on! Might head there and just start doing that bollocks :/ Havent got Farseer to level 5 or owt yet either! Maybe head to see her and see what I can do up those parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back