Electric cars at work

Free. Mind the car park belongs to SSE.

One bloke drives the 10 miles into work every morning, leaves his car on charge all day. Drives the 10 miles home/back the next day and repeats.

Does constantly charging a full battery have any adverse effects on it?
Aye, you’re not supposed to charge them past 80% most of the time

Aye, you’re not supposed to charge them past 80% most of the time

I had a mobile phone a few years ago which lasted just over a year before the battery died. First thing the bloke in the repair shop asked is did I leave it permanently on charge (I did at graft while listening to sounds through it). Said that's probably the reason i only got a years worth of life out of it.

I had a mobile phone a few years ago which lasted just over a year before the battery died. First thing the bloke in the repair shop asked is did I leave it permanently on charge (I did at graft while listening to sounds through it). Said that's probably the reason i only got a years worth of life out of it.
Years ago, yeah. Before charging circuitry had any intelligence.
All that was happening there though, is that heat was being put into the battery constantly. It wasn't anything to do with being fully-charged, or over-charged. It was just the heat.
Its not really an issue anymore, as "smart" charging means that they won't actually be charging unless the battery needs it.

Can charge it from o% to 85% in 40 mins that’s about 200 miles for free

Who gives a fuck when it’s a least car I charge mine to full all the time
Aye that's decent like. The maximum my car can do is 30 miles so I'm guessing even on a 7kwh charger it won't take long. But like i say I'm not going to go more than a few miles out of my way to sit and get 30 miles charge! When they improve the charging infrastructure I'll get a full electric but for now I'm glad I went for a hybrid

Head office is free, my office is 15p/kwh
Free. Mind the car park belongs to SSE.

One bloke drives the 10 miles into work every morning, leaves his car on charge all day. Drives the 10 miles home/back the next day and repeats.

Does constantly charging a full battery have any adverse effects on it?

SSE are putting them in all their car parks and will be offering to install them at employees homes too.

Last edited:
Aye that's decent like. The maximum my car can do is 30 miles so I'm guessing even on a 7kwh charger it won't take long. But like i say I'm not going to go more than a few miles out of my way to sit and get 30 miles charge! When they improve the charging infrastructure I'll get a full electric but for now I'm glad I went for a hybrid
People drive to the garage to put 20 quid in it’s no different

People drive to the garage to put 20 quid in it’s no different
People do that when they have no alternative though. I can drive mine on petrol. If there's a charging point conveniently somewhere that I'm going anyway then I'll use it, supermarket or the likes. Driving 5 miles or something to then drive 5 miles back and only have 25 miles left just isn't worth it as far as I'm concerned. Plus it still takes about an hour or so to charge, so it's sitting about for ages somewhere I don't want to be as opposed to going to a garage and filling up for 2 minutes.

Didn't you think about that before ordering the car?
I was assured I could charge it at work
Can charge it from o% to 85% in 40 mins that’s about 200 miles for free

Who gives a fuck when it’s a least car I charge mine to full all the time
I know, he was asking the question though.
How are these free ones free when they aren’t affiliated with a shop or company? What’s the benefit to giving people free electricity in Whitburn?

Last edited:
Head office is free, my office is 15p/kwh

SSE are putting them in all their car parks and will be offering to install them at employees homes too.

We've already got about 20 and have had that many for a couple of years. I'm not an SSE employee any more like but our company sub let offices off them. Not that I ever take a car to work, much prefer the bike or train.

And you relied on that for your primary source of power?

:eek:
Well aye. I was told I could. Top it up every day and never need to use another charger unless during the holidays.
I’m still gonna do it like. It still works out as a 35 grand car for £100 a week more than I’m paying now for an 11 year old one.

Last edited:

Back