Electric cars at work

I thought the big selling point of EV's was that they're loads cheaper to fuel.
But it turns out that they cost a similar amount
I pay 5p per kWh overnight for 4 hours charging. That is 116 miles of charge for £1.44p. Less than £4 to full charge around 300 miles.

Real world miles out of that probs about 220, so same as say half a tank of diesel, which is costing around £30 at the minute I imagine? £30 compared to £4.

I pay 5p per kWh overnight for 4 hours charging. That is 116 miles of charge for £1.44p. Less than £4 to full charge around 300 miles.

Real world miles out of that probs about 220, so same as say half a tank of diesel, which is costing around £30 at the minute I imagine? £30 compared to £4.

Not quite, it'd cost me about £20 in petrol on a good motorway journey (but I'd also be saving about £20k on the purchase price)

And since I only do about 5k miles a year, the numbers just don't stack up.

Depends hugely on the battery size and output of charger. My car has approximately 84kw of usable battery space, so a 50kw charger would give me 60% in an hour. It'll depend on how many miles per kWh they get, I get about 2.5-3.2 depending on traffic, road, temperature etc, so that's around 125-150 miles from that one hour at a rapid charge. You can get faster chargers than this, and many slower ones.

At 2.5 miles per kWh, and £0.25 per kWh, I'm getting about 10p a mile, which is about what a 50mpg car would get, at £1.30 a litre.

There certainly needs to be more charge points. Unfortunately at the moment it's all far too privatised and splintered. You need about six different apps to use the different types of charger - I have PodPoint, BP, Fastned and GeniePoint, plus Zap Map to find points. There are plenty of others too - Hubsta, Electric Blue, Ionity...

If the government are serious about EVs then they need to make it as easy as possible for people because it'll never be as easy as a petrol car. In my little Citroen I could pull up, hoy in 30 litres, pay and be gone in about 3 minutes. In my EV, I'm looking at a good hour or two on charge depending on the type of charger, and if it's a measly 7kw charger, I might get 70 miles over 4 hours. Fine at work, useless when travelling.

In an ideal world, there would be a single provider, with subsidised charging rates (average atm is about £0.25 per kWh) and government backing to put as many charging points in as many places as they can.
The below is cut and pasted from what I put on another thread and is my thoughts on how the government should move forward.

expand...
Every open air carpark at supermarkets, town centres, retail parks, Schools etc should have solar canopies over them and EV charging points integral. Government funded. Not free but cheap cost to charge with the money going back to Government coffers to pay back the capital cost. All excess electric fed into the grid and profit again fed back to the government. That way there is an abundance of easily accessible charging points nationwide, no additional landtake, a shit load of renewable energy being generated and the government is making a proper effort to be NZC. The Government can also cream a bit off the top to replace fuel tax losses

Not quite, it'd cost me about £20 in petrol on a good motorway journey (but I'd also be saving about £20k on the purchase price)

And since I only do about 5k miles a year, the numbers just don't stack up.
£20 at £1.40 a litre is just over 14 litres, that’s not half a tank.

£20 at £1.40 a litre is just over 14 litres, that’s not half a tank.

Depends on the size of the tank, but I never mentioned half a tank. I was referring to your 220 miles. (Might actually be about £23 at £1.40)

But the last time I fully filled up was at just under £1.30, and cost about £40

Last edited:
What’s stopping someone from walking off with it?
While charging, the unit is locked to the car via the Type 2 cable, and features both geofencing and device tracking for added security. Built-in 4G support allows for remote monitoring and charge scheduling.
^
From the article.

Not a bad idea and going forward would it be worth cars have an internal plug as well so something similar to this could be plugged in the boot.
That way people without home charger points could leave it on charge at home during the day then plug it into the car when they get home.
Ideally have a PV panel arrangement in your garden which can charge it while you're at work.

Last edited:

Which energy tafiff are you on for that Joe?
Need to switch mine for an EV friendly one now. Is the daytime rate reasonable as well?

While charging, the unit is locked to the car via the Type 2 cable, and features both geofencing and device tracking for added security. Built-in 4G support allows for remote monitoring and charge scheduling.
^
From the article.

Not a bad idea and going forward would it be worth cars have an internal plug as well so something similar to this could be plugged in the boot.
That way people without home charger points could leave it on charge at home during the day then plug it into the car when they get home.
Ideally have a PV panel arrangement in your garden which can charge it while you're at work.
I’d need more than 20 mile though.

It sounds like a right fart on in comparison to going to the garage

The thing is, electric technology is improving all the time. And oil will eventually run out, or before that it will become so environmentally unpopular it will be an inevitable transition.
Air pollution is a bigger annual killer than covid too, it really should be an obligation from everyone to ditch oil ASAP

Low carbon sources are in excess of 50% of the annual energy productions, where you getting 60% gas from? In 2020 is was 35.7% electricity produced via gas, 3.3% oil and other fuels, 1.8% coal. The rest (the majority) from low carbon and renewable sources.

Directly from that site on the day i posted it. The blend of power source over the past few weeks/ months hasn't been stable and is a cause in part for price increases. The percentages quoted were correct on that day.

The thing is, electric technology is improving all the time. And oil will eventually run out, or before that it will become so environmentally unpopular it will be an inevitable transition.
Air pollution is a bigger annual killer than covid too, it really should be an obligation from everyone to ditch oil ASAP
But meanwhile pavements are going to be crisscrossed with extension leads which I’m sure will eventually start to get weighed in for scrap
It’s a great idea and many will manage it but until you can drive for 6 hrs on one charge and charge it outside your house safely then it’s going to be a battle lost

Directly from that site on the day i posted it. The blend of power source over the past few weeks/ months hasn't been stable and is a cause in part for price increases. The percentages quoted were correct on that day.
Which is a snapshot. Annual figures give a more accurate picture of the generation mix.

But meanwhile pavements are going to be crisscrossed with extension leads which I’m sure will eventually start to get weighed in for scrap
It’s a great idea and many will manage it but until you can drive for 6 hrs on one charge and charge it outside your house safely then it’s going to be a battle lost
The Tesla model 3 can drive for 6 hours at an average speed of 55mph on a single charge and can be charged outside your house if off street parking.
If you're on a motorway doing a 70moh the supercharger network would allow you to top up in five or ten minutes to complete your six hour journey and if you were driving for six hours non stop on a motorway you should really of had a rest or comfort break of at least ten minutes anyway.

But meanwhile pavements are going to be crisscrossed with extension leads
This is going to become a big issue. Surely the future of electric charging is exactly as it is now for diesel, at charging stations? How far are we away from being able to charge a car in a few minutes?

Mental to change the entire model to allow people to charge at kerbside imo, especially at the expense of public space.

Back