Egg fried rice. Cooking it yourself but it tasting like takeaway?

fyl2u

Striker
How?

Anyone able to make their home-cooked egg fried rice taste like it tastes when you buy it from a Chinese takeaway?

Anyone ever worked as a cook in a Chinese takeaway?

If so could you provide detailed instructions of how you manage it, because I can't ever get it quite right and it surely can't be that hard, can it?

Thanks in advance.

I've always struggled with this, but thanks to als Kitchen, I think I now what to do.

Wash rice properly
Cook for two mins less than instructions
Chill
Then add to frying pan with the eggs that are already part scrambled

I'm meaning to try that myself soon.

How?

Anyone able to make their home-cooked egg fried rice taste like it tastes when you buy it from a Chinese takeaway?

Anyone ever worked as a cook in a Chinese takeaway?

If so could you provide detailed instructions of how you manage it, because I can't ever get it quite right and it surely can't be that hard, can it?

Thanks in advance.

You need a proper super rice wok hob or something like that I seem to remember. Your bog standard kitchen cooker set up won’t manage it. I could be wrong like.

I've always struggled with this, but thanks to als Kitchen, I think I now what to do.

Wash rice properly
Chill

And add light soy sauce and mix through in the pan before serving.

Wash rice properly
Chill

I've watched them in a couple of chinese takeaways and they add a ladel or two of some liquids. Probably msg infested stock.

I'm sure I read somewhere you use yesterday's boiled rice.

I've heard this too. Something to do with the process of cooling it, letting it rest, then cooking it from cold that supposedly improves it, but I don't know whether you're meant to stick it in the fridge, freezer, leave it on the side with a cover on it, or if there were any other secrets to it.

All I know is, every Chinese takeaway I ever bought rice from does it better than I have ever managed at home.

Soy sauce, peanut oil.

Peanut oil? Is that a thing? Is fried rice a common one for peanut allergy people to avoid?

Wash rice properly
Chill

How long do you chill it for? And do you just put it in the fridge?

I've heard this too. Something to do with the process of cooling it, letting it rest, then cooking it from cold that supposedly improves it, but I don't know whether you're meant to stick it in the fridge, freezer, leave it on the side with a cover on it, or if there were any other secrets to it.

All I know is, every Chinese takeaway I ever bought rice from does it better than I have ever managed at home.

Peanut oil? Is that a thing? Is fried rice a common one for peanut allergy people to avoid?
Sesame oil does as well. I like the taste of peanut oil though. ;)

Sesame oil does as well. I like the taste of peanut oil though. ;)

I usually just use olive oil for everything. I might have to try sesame oil; I've never used it. I'm not a fan of peanuts and I seem to remember not being keen on peanut oil at some point in the past, although it has been quite a while.

Back