Egg fried rice. Cooking it yourself but it tasting like takeaway?

The oil is important. They'll not use olive oil in China. Can't say what they do use - maybe sesame? - but my Irish mate whose dad was a potato farmer told me that the oil they chips are cooked in are why chip shop, Chinese, and Indian chips all taste so different.
Indian food uses ghee. Lovely lovely ghee.

I used one recipe which was just a dash of both light soy sauce for flavour and dark for the colour. Just fry the egg at the side til it’s solid then mix it all together. Tasted pretty bang on.

Whenever I’m making fried rice dishes though I always just use one of them microwave basmati packs and just hoy it straight in the pan.

I used one recipe which was just a dash of both light soy sauce for flavour and dark for the colour. Just fry the egg at the side til it’s solid then mix it all together. Tasted pretty bang on.

Whenever I’m making fried rice dishes though I always just use one of them microwave basmati packs and just hoy it straight in the pan.
Definitely need a splash of soy in when cooking like.

Basmati for Chinese? Is this the usual? I've been using American long grain.

I always use basmati for Indian but I didn't think it's what was usually used for Chinese.

Watch what yer doing with pre-cooked rice. It's a pretty good way to get food poisoning.
Never use sesame either - far too strong a flavour.

Watch what yer doing with pre-cooked rice. It's a pretty good way to get food poisoning.
Never use sesame either - far too strong a flavour.
As long as it's properly heated you'll be fine. Reheated rice is an everyday thing in Japan, for example. I didn't actually learn you could get ill from rice until after I got back from seeing their practices over there and thought the person who told me was misinformed! :lol: Every day is a school day, eh?

I've always struggled with this, but thanks to als Kitchen, I think I now what to do.

Wash rice properly
Cook for two mins less than instructions
Chill
Then add to frying pan with the eggs that are already part scrambled

I'm meaning to try that myself soon.
This. After boiling it you have to fry it for a few minutes with the egg (with plenty of oil) and keep stirring. Basmati is the best, although it's more tricky to cook than American long grain it tastes far better.

You need a lower moisture content in the rice. You can do this in one of two ways: use yesterdays refrigerated boiled rice; or using the evaporation method, use a little less water than for boiled. Either way, it works best when the boiled rice is cooled.

Choose a carbon steel wok, not a non stick one. Heat it until it’s smoking hot and then pop in a good measure of oil (peanut, groundnut, vegetable or sunflower) and swirl. Don’t use sesame oil as this is a dressing oil not a cooking oil.

Immediately put in your rice. Stir fry well, breaking up lumps. Move rice to one side of wok and add a beaten egg, making sure you don’t get the egg on the rice. Stir fry the egg until done and then combine with the rice. Turn down the heat. Add chopped spring onions, if using. Splash in some Light soy sauce, not dark.

Stir a bit until the colour looks even and right. Serve.
If your groundnut oil is not just peanut oil under a different name, where do you get your groundnut oil from?

Is everybody using basmati rice, then?
Thai Jasmine or Thai Perfumed rice. Same thing, different names.

Basmati is that long grain stuff from the Indians.

If your groundnut oil is not just peanut oil under a different name, where do you get your groundnut oil from?
It is the same. Groundnut oil is the name in Tesco. Peanut oil in most of the Chinese supermarkets. Same stuff different label. Has a good high smoke point.

Back