Egg fried rice. Cooking it yourself but it tasting like takeaway?

I've always struggled with this, but thanks to als Kitchen, I think I now what to do.

Wash rice properly
Cook for two mins less than instructions
Chill
Then add to frying pan with the eggs that are already part scrambled

I'm meaning to try that myself soon.
Has Al branched out into Chinese like?

Basmati for Chinese? Is this the usual? I've been using American long grain.

I always use basmati for Indian but I didn't think it's what was usually used for Chinese.

I just use whatever I’ve got at hand. I’ve made it with packs of whole grain rice the lot. I’ve made stir frys with supanoodles before :lol:

Does anyone know what rice they actually use in Chinese takeaways, or is it like this place where some use basmati, some use jasmine, some use long grain and some just use anything in the cupboard and if all else fails just fry up a tin of rice pudding?

How?

Anyone able to make their home-cooked egg fried rice taste like it tastes when you buy it from a Chinese takeaway?

Anyone ever worked as a cook in a Chinese takeaway?

If so could you provide detailed instructions of how you manage it, because I can't ever get it quite right and it surely can't be that hard, can it?

Thanks in advance.
It’s piss easy, I do a lot of Chinese cooking mainly cause my dad used do it and taught me how. It’s really easy to do lots of stuff once you have the basics at home. Check out ching he huangs book/series Chinese food made easy, you’ll get a lot of tips there.

Secret with egg fried rice is as was said boiling the rice and letting it chill. I do it in a rice cooker in the morning, stick in fridge and fry when home. The egg bit some like to make an omelette and chop it up. I prefer to just chuck a whole egg in at the end and let it cook as it coats everything.

Make a massive pan of rice , let it cool down and bag it up and freeze - works great when defrosted and saves having to plan ahead

@Wilfy makes lush fried rice , I could eat just a bowl of that for supper and be very content

To make the egg part easier make a thin omelette in the wok first and shred up and stir through the rice.

If bothering to do this is say Google a nasi goreng recipe as is a much better fried rice dish

Can cook rice the same day btw but chill in cold water after cooking and needs to be very well drained, say an hour stood in a colander

Last edited:
It’s piss easy, I do a lot of Chinese cooking mainly cause my dad used do it and taught me how. It’s really easy to do lots of stuff once you have the basics at home. Check out ching he huangs book/series Chinese food made easy, you’ll get a lot of tips there.

Secret with egg fried rice is as was said boiling the rice and letting it chill. I do it in a rice cooker in the morning, stick in fridge and fry when home. The egg bit some like to make an omelette and chop it up. I prefer to just chuck a whole egg in at the end and let it cook as it coats everything.
This sounds like the ticket... thanks for that

Back