Egg chasers of the SMB

bang on...many a school of thought that though they're the biggest culprits, they aren't the only ones breaching the cap.
Some of the stuff coming from Exeter and lately Wasps/Leicester is cringeworthy.
Stephen Jones has made a sound point that the number of England players they provide can, in part hinder them meet the salary cap
I'm no fan of Sarries and definitely think they should be heavily punished for cheating the salary cap in the way they have. However, they have highlighted the inherent problem with it, by bringing all these top players through, they have nowhere to go if clubs can't afford to pay them, equally there seems to be little incentive for bringing youth through like they have. It's also no coincidence that they are the only English side to have been remotely consistent in Europe, other sides just don't have the players to do it.

There have been many suggestions of how to fix it, the most logical being for academy players not to be included in the cap, but whatever changes has to be done soon.

bang on...many a school of thought that though they're the biggest culprits, they aren't the only ones breaching the cap.
Some of the stuff coming from Exeter and lately Wasps/Leicester is cringeworthy.
Stephen Jones has made a sound point that the number of England players they provide can, in part hinder them meet the salary cap

Stephen Jones has lost his mind, man

I'm no fan of Sarries and definitely think they should be heavily punished for cheating the salary cap in the way they have. However, they have highlighted the inherent problem with it, by bringing all these top players through, they have nowhere to go if clubs can't afford to pay them, equally there seems to be little incentive for bringing youth through like they have. It's also no coincidence that they are the only English side to have been remotely consistent in Europe, other sides just don't have the players to do it.

There have been many suggestions of how to fix it, the most logical being for academy players not to be included in the cap, but whatever changes has to be done soon.
Academy talent shouldn’t be included in the cap. They’ve invested the money in bringing the talent through.

Bath and Bristol both have been rumoured to be doing it for years

Academy talent shouldn’t be included in the cap. They’ve invested the money in bringing the talent through.

Agree with this...especially when said academy players then go on to play for England and they're almost penalised for this the way the RFU "compensate the club"

It's the most logical solution and benefits everyone involved. England enjoy a constant stream of talent and clubs enjoy having world class players on their books who they can pay an appropriate salary to without having to sacrifice other areas of the team to keep in line with the cap.

I'm sure Sarries aren't the only ones guilty of it and that rumour still won't leave us.

It's the most logical solution and benefits everyone involved. England enjoy a constant stream of talent and clubs enjoy having world class players on their books who they can pay an appropriate salary to without having to sacrifice other areas of the team to keep in line with the cap.

I'm sure Sarries aren't the only ones guilty of it and that rumour still won't leave us.
Wasps are the one for me that are dodgy. Kurtly Beales one season last year is iffy as hell.

This is of course a fairly remote possibility, but there have been discussions about ring fencing the premiership after this season. So imagine if they relagated Saracens this season and then abolished promotion from the Championship...
I’d say bath, Leicester, wasps, saints and Gloucester will be delighted with that

Tidied.

Looks like it's definitely happening

Every clubs at it though. You can’t tell me Leinster aren’t paying players on the side.

This is going to properly fuck up England's six nations campaign.

Every clubs at it though. You can’t tell me Leinster aren’t paying players on the side.

This is going to properly fuck up England's six nations campaign.

Leinster have the highest budget in world rugby which allows them to field 3 XVs that are all capable of winning the Pro 14 😢 but the individual salaries are nothing compared to Saracens.

The IRFU central contracts really help the provinces.

Regular Ireland starters are on minimum €350,000 basic wage and most of the big boys €600,000 iirc. Murray and Sexton are probably closer to €800,000 basic.

With win bonuses Sexton will take home over a million from Ireland, whereas England pay £25,000 a game (I think)

How the fuck has Hogg been pinged for a deliberate knock on against La Rochelle? If that wasn't a legitimate attempt to get the ball then I don't know what is, doubly bad for Exeter with a penalty try being given as well

Back