Education

I might be. I know my dad went on to produce his much wanted male child after the utter disappointment of fathering three female children. 😂😂
Must be common
I had a workmate with a similar story
Awful treatment for the daughters
He'd be locked up these days
I would say it was harder with less opportunity in our days to be honest, it’s a case of getting off your arse and making it happen now.
It's the expectation that's changed
Averagely educated parents expecting Einstein to appear at 20 years old to put a pic on Facebook

Last edited:

Must be common

Averagely educated parents expecting Einstein to appear at 20 years old to put a pic on Facebook
He wasn’t a nice man although i was weirdly still upset when my mam causally dropped into a telephone conversation that my dad was dead, such in such in the post office had told her. I’m still quite baffled by my reaction

He wasn’t a nice man although i was weirdly still upset when my mam causally dropped into a telephone conversation that my dad was dead, such in such in the post office had told her. I’m still quite baffled by my reaction
Our family had a similar situation with my Dad
All a slightly different experience but the common thing was how he was with our Mam
I found it easy as I got older to not give two hoots about him as he'd never really been a proper Dad
Then my family seemed to kind of almost white wash it when he died
" it was his upbringing"
" that's what people were like "
Etc
Nah ,not having it .

All a slightly different experience but the common thing was how he was with our Mam
I found it easy as I got older to not give two hoots about him as he'd never really been a proper Dad
" it was his upbringing"
Etc
Nah ,not having it .
I wouldn’t be having it either. Some people are just shitty, that’s the bald truth.

Glad you've done well but it's a very different world to when you left school 40 years ago.
Agree mate and social media has a lot todo with some of the ego problem's today.
But would say there are so many more opportunities now, ok they aren’t all great jobs but you got too start somewhere.
compared too leaving school in the 80s we were pretty innocent kids,the north east was on its arse, there literally was no jobs, apprenticeships nothing other than YTS training courses.The then governments way of fudging the unemployed figures.
6 years now would barely get you a pension, with the new pension scheme.
It has changed. Infact you would've only got 5 years worth of Army pension due to serving 1 for the Queen, joining at 16?
Still not a bad pension if you do the full 20, I suppose.

It stands that you can get qualifications and help in 6 years of service, though.
That’s true mate my first year was with the junior leaders, which give us a head start before joining the Regular Army, the new recruits hated us as we were already miles ahead of them in both fitness and military knowledge 👍
Must be common

Social media has a lot to answer for

Last edited:
For any younguns out there worried about school.
What is it really all about and why so much stress about qualifications???
I was born in the late 60’s loved school as I could play football and meet with my mates left school with very average results.
Joined junior Army at 16 and wow what a life done 6 years was class 👍👍 learnt respect, discipline, life skills and a mentality too when the shit hits the fan you got too stand up and be counted, at 22 started a real life in civvy street real work and kids, but never looked back, total respect to the British Army for setting me off in life on the right foot.
Never claimed a penny in benefits in my life.
Just took my early retirement at 55 and would not change a thing.
So anyone getting worked up about school and exams just do your thing work he’d be a decent person and you be ok.

Decent advice.
Absolutely this. Me and most of my mates did. I had a shit upbringing, no money, no carpets in our house( it was very cold on your feet) a dad who was incredibly violent, but I had an English literature teacher who was fantastic. I don’t think I’ve gone on to be hugely successful but I’m quite content.

The most important thing of all is being content.
Met up with my Newport Mate after the game yesterday for a few pints before coming home. Lovely to take time and reflect. We are both from poor working class backgrounds and both have done OK with our lives.

I am currently struggling mentally being a Dad and giving up work at the same time.
A lifetime of stressful jobs and was time to get out. The problem I am going through is I want to give my both lads everything. A Dad’s thing and no doubt some historical issues compensating for the fact that I wasn’t given anything in monetary terms.
I could have carried on a few more years, would like nothing more than supporting my kids financially even more. They never ask for Nowt thus probably my past playing games in my daft head.

Eldest at Uni. Been home this week and worked 5 early shifts at Tesco’s on overtime and made some decent money. Ffs how proud I was.
Youngest at 6th form wants to get into aviation, real passion for it. Sorted work experience out at 2 airports on his own, one doing it in his holidays.
Why do I feel so guilty about it, because I do?

I keep torturing myself on having enough money to Service after hanging up my boots this year. I think I am ok but equally I know my past is now kicking me in the head.

My Mate said to me yesterday that I was well liked as a boss, always decent and fair. To be honest I choked up a bit (soft twat). So you keep going kid, be mighty proud for coming through a tough childhood and being content is a good thing, a very good thing, just keep telling yourself that when you are having a shite one.
Always talk to the dog because they understand 👍
I am looking forward to mounting your mam Amber,don’t you worry,she is in safe hands with me,I promise to be gentle 🙂

Put the lotion in the basket.
Put the f’ing lotion in the basket.

I think you and me are related. I have a white van with dog cages in the back.
Maybe I can entice @Amber ’s Mum for you.

He was still your Dad. Probably like me I wish things would have been better.
Still stand by his grave. He didn’t do nothing wrong, well apart from an affair but we never did anything together apart from when I was really young he took me fishing and I loved it. Ironically last week with my dog in the middle of the fields I thought of him and really missed him.
" it was his upbringing"
Etc
Nah ,not having it .

The “generation” thing. Let’s not punish ourselves too much Mate.
I guess we have a few skeletons 😟

Last edited:
Decent advice.

The most important thing of all is being content.
Met up with my Newport Mate after the game yesterday for a few pints before coming home. Lovely to take time and reflect. We are both from poor working class backgrounds and both have done OK with our lives.

I am currently struggling mentally being a Dad and giving up work at the same time.
A lifetime of stressful jobs and was time to get out. The problem I am going through is I want to give my both lads everything. A Dad’s thing and no doubt some historical issues compensating for the fact that I wasn’t given anything in monetary terms.
I could have carried on a few more years, would like nothing more than supporting my kids financially even more. They never ask for Nowt thus probably my past playing games in my daft head.

Eldest at Uni. Been home this week and worked 5 early shifts at Tesco’s on overtime and made some decent money. Ffs how proud I was.
Youngest at 6th form wants to get into aviation, real passion for it. Sorted work experience out at 2 airports on his own, one doing it in his holidays.
Why do I feel so guilty about it, because I do?

I keep torturing myself on having enough money to Service after hanging up my boots this year. I think I am ok but equally I know my past is now kicking me in the head.

My Mate said to me yesterday that I was well liked as a boss, always decent and fair. To be honest I choked up a bit (soft twat). So you keep going kid, be mighty proud for coming through a tough childhood and being content is a good thing, a very good thing, just keep telling yourself that when you are having a shite one.
Always talk to the dog because they understand 👍
Sounds to me like you have and are raising two thoroughly decent nice( very underrated trait in my opinion) humans. You should be proud of that. Really proud. They both sound super motivated too which is fab. Yes I know we want to give our kids everything and that includes money but some of us can’t, so what we give them is our time and love and we listen. You give that too. I think being listened to was the thing I wished I’d had from my childhood, I often felt lost amongst the drama of every day life. I don’t know if that makes sense. I spent a lot of time at my mate’s house and her Mam always sat and chatted with me and I went home with a little boost. So I make the time to sit down and listen to my kids, like really listen, no telly on, no distractions, just talking. Mind my son can talk underwater so it’s not difficult! I don’t have money to give them, so my son, like my daughter did, works part time. I can say it’s brought him on in leaps and bounds and has made him appreciate the things he gets.

Please stop beating yourself up. You obviously have a great relationship with your kids and believe me that’s worth more than money. Anyway, like me you have a third child( the dog) so you must be alright ❤️ xx
He was still your Dad. Probably like me I wish things would have been better.
Still stand by his grave. He didn’t do nothing wrong, well apart from an affair but we never did anything together apart from when I was really young he took me fishing and I loved it. Ironically last week with my dog in the middle of the fields I thought of him and really missed him.

The “generation” thing. Let’s not punish ourselves too much Mate.
I guess we have a few skeletons 😟
He was but he was vile to my mam, I learnt things in my 30s that had gone on which I wished I hadn’t to be honest.
She hated him, and rightly so, so feeling upset by his death was almost disloyal and I wasn’t able to say. I didn’t want to hurt her.
omg I’m a mood hoover!! Sorry

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you have and are raising two thoroughly decent nice( very underrated trait in my opinion) humans. You should be proud of that. Really proud. They both sound super motivated too which is fab. Yes I know we want to give our kids everything and that includes money but some of us can’t, so what we give them is our time and love and we listen. You give that too. I think being listened to was the thing I wished I’d had from my childhood, I often felt lost amongst the drama of every day life. I don’t know if that makes sense. I spent a lot of time at my mate’s house and her Mam always sat and chatted with me and I went home with a little boost. So I make the time to sit down and listen to my kids, like really listen, no telly on, no distractions, just talking. Mind my son can talk underwater so it’s not difficult! I don’t have money to give them, so my son, like my daughter did, works part time. I can say it’s brought him on in leaps and bounds and has made him appreciate the things he gets.

Please stop beating yourself up. You obviously have a great relationship with your kids and believe me that’s worth more than money. Anyway, like me you have a third child( the dog) so you must be alright ❤️ xx

He was but he was vile to my mam, I learnt things in my 30s that had gone on which I wished I hadn’t to be honest.
She hated him, and rightly so, so feeling upset by his death was almost disloyal and I wasn’t able to say. I didn’t want to hurt her.
omg I’m a mood hoover!! Sorry
Well said and I talk all my problems through with my dog as well. She never judges 👍

I’ve never once been asked to show my degree certificates when I’ve got a job. I’m not sure if there is a database where an employer can check. I often think it would have been easier to save the money and years of my life and just pretend I had one.

@monkeytassle i believe knew of someone who lied about their degree, got found out and lost their job.

@monkeytassle i believe knew of someone who lied about their degree, got found out and lost their job.
Was involved in a case once where someone had lied about their degree to get a promotion. The NHS didn't fuck around: sacked them, went after them for civil recovery of all the salary paid since they were appointed (not the difference between old job and new, the lot), and worked with the police to bring a criminal prosecution.

Fairly certain a few grand a year wasn't worth that.

Back