Education

ChrisK

Winger
For any younguns out there worried about school.
What is it really all about and why so much stress about qualifications???
I was born in the late 60’s loved school as I could play football and meet with my mates left school with very average results.
Joined junior Army at 16 and wow what a life done 6 years was class 👍👍 learnt respect, discipline, life skills and a mentality too when the shit hits the fan you got too stand up and be counted, at 22 started a real life in civvy street real work and kids, but never looked back, total respect to the British Army for setting me off in life on the right foot.
Never claimed a penny in benefits in my life.
Just took my early retirement at 55 and would not change a thing.
So anyone getting worked up about school and exams just do your thing work he’d be a decent person and you be ok.

This isn’t a pop, but it has had me thinking lately after a mate contacted me about a job for his 22 year old son who was leaving the army.

What does the army get out of having you for only six years? Do you get a pension from that length of service?

This isn’t a pop, but it has had me thinking lately after a mate contacted me about a job for his 22 year old son who was leaving the army.

What does the army get out of having you for only six years? Do you get a pension from that length of service?
Suppose they are offering a career path mate
But pensions are pants mate like most private sector pensions.
I would definitely recommend it for 16 year olds tho sets u off on a great start in life.

Can certainly work for those determined enough.

Sadly the ratio of those without options or opportunities vastly outweighs those who ‘made it’

I would definitely recommend it for 16 year olds tho sets u off on a great start in life.
Well you're that many years behind your contemporaries when you join the job market
I'm a similar age to you,bit older , but today's school leavers are entering a totally different world to what we did
Pros and cons in how they are different .

Government reckon its one of the most generous going

1/70th accrual rate final salary with zero employee contributions payable after 22 years service when still in your 40's sounds canny to me mind.

Of course if you've only done 6 years at a low rank, you aren't going to get much
Well you're that many years behind your contemporaries when you join the job market
I'm a similar age to you,bit older , but today's school leavers are entering a totally different world to what we did
Pros and cons in how they are different .

Depends what you want to do. Can get a HGV license in army & have a few years experience driving big vehicles, so could pretty much walk into a HGV driving job I reckon given current shortages

Last edited:
Can certainly work for those determined enough.

Sadly the ratio of those without options or opportunities vastly outweighs those who ‘made it’
Ahh come on man give over.
the NE has never had so much opportunity when I left school you couldn’t get a job the only option was the Forces now u can get a job no bother.
Too many soft cocks wanting sympathy

Government reckon its one of the most generous going

1/70th accrual rate final salary with zero employee contributions payable after 22 years service when still in your 40's sounds canny to me mind.

Of course if you've only done 6 years at a low rank, you aren't going to get much

Depends what you want to do. Can get a HGV license in army & have a few years experience driving big vehicles, so could pretty much walk into a HGV driving job I reckon given current shortages
Of course ,Is that it though
A free hgv licence ?
Just do it now instead and skip the Army . 🤷‍♂️

Ahh come on man give over.
the NE has never had so much opportunity when I left school you couldn’t get a job the only option was the Forces now u can get a job no bother.
Too many soft cocks wanting sympathy

I disagree with that.

There are tons of examples from the 80’s and 90’s of young kids facing every possible adversity: poverty, race, domestic problems etc… who managed to drive themselves to go to top universities and have gone on to be hugely successful.

I agree with you that education isn’t the be all and end all. But to suggest that you should forget about it all together and joining the forces is the only option if you had a rough upbringing is blatantly bollocks

I disagree with that.

There are tons of examples from the 80’s and 90’s of young kids facing every possible adversity: poverty, race, domestic problems etc… who managed to drive themselves to go to top universities and have gone on to be hugely successful.

I agree with you that education isn’t the be all and end all. But to suggest that you should forget about it all together and joining the forces is the only option if you had a rough upbringing is blatantly bollocksa
Absolutely this. Me and most of my mates did. I had a shit upbringing, no money, no carpets in our house( it was very cold on your feet) a dad who was incredibly violent, but I had an English literature teacher who was fantastic. I don’t think I’ve gone on to be hugely successful but I’m quite content.

I wasn't wanted so it can't have been me Amber, but I still want your mam (one day) don't forget 😉
I haven’t forgotten! I’m still saving her for you.

Ah don’t worry I wasn’t wanted either, I was told his words were “f***ing hell not another one”
He showed it every day. Never mind, we rise above it do we not.
Had it just of been the 2 female kids, your dad could've been Henry VIII
This is actually true! Class 😂

Last edited:

Back