Edinburgh Fringe - tips

Just dip in and give stuff a chance. See some free stuff in the back rooms of pubs. Get drunk and stay up into the early hours.

Don't over think it. You'll see some rubbish and see some really good stuff.

Don't bother with big names or shows, it's not what it's for

That's the plan. The bairn has been up there 3 years now so we know the place pretty well now but never done the Fringe. She used to live on Cowgate and I know some of the boozers on there have stuff on.

Went for first time last year, paid for some shows, caught some free ones, some brilliant, some crap that I left after 10 mins.

Was sat in a pub at midnight on a saturday night and some girls came and asked us if we'd go downstairs for a free show starting in 10 mins, said yes.
Was one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. Young guy called john long, does some funny guitar songs and also joke routines.
Chatted to him after, was great crack.
He's playing again this year, definitely going to see him.

Went for first time last year, paid for some shows, caught some free ones, some brilliant, some crap that I left after 10 mins.

Was sat in a pub at midnight on a saturday night and some girls came and asked us if we'd go downstairs for a free show starting in 10 mins, said yes.
Was one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. Young guy called john long, does some funny guitar songs and also joke routines.
Chatted to him after, was great crack.
He's playing again this year, definitely going to see him.
I'll keep a look out for him, cheers.

If you’re going first weekend then go to pleasance courtyard and have a pint and sit about - really nice place to be but also there are a lot of free tickets going for shows around there in the first few days to get audience numbers up

If you want to see something and it’s sold out, check back at the box office 15 mins before the show starts - they release press tickets that haven’t sold

The half price hut on princes st can also have some good deals but is quite hit and miss

Get a copy of the brochure, they can post one to you, or Watetstones used to stock them, not sure if they still do.

Don't ignore spoken word, one of the best shows i've seen there was a fella talking about hangmen in the uk.

If you plan on seeing a lot of shows, its worth looking at becoming Friend Of The Fringe. Many shows, not all, are the buy one get one free.

There's all sorts there, but if i had to recommend one, it would be Tom Binns in one of his characters: Ian de Montford, a physic from Sunderland, or Ivan Brackenbury, a hospital radio DJ

Get the app on your phone too. It will give you directions, tell you whats on nearby if you want something short notice, and tell you what shows are going to be on sale at the half price hut the following day

Last edited:
Going for the first time this year, just there and back in the same day and I think we're going to see four different shows. I'm not paying and get the shows selected for me but I imagine I'll be seeing some diverse stuff.

Get a copy of the brochure, they can post one to you, or Watetstones used to stock them, not sure if they still do.

Don't ignore spoken word, one of the best shows i've seen there was a fella talking about hangmen in the uk.

If you plan on seeing a lot of shows, its worth looking at becoming Friend Of The Fringe. Many shows, not all, are the buy one get one free.

There's all sorts there, but if i had to recommend one, it would be Tom Binns in one of his characters: Ian de Montford, a physic from Sunderland, or Ivan Brackenbury, a hospital radio DJ

Get the app on your phone too. It will give you directions, tell you whats on nearby if you want something short notice, and tell you what shows are going to be on sale at the half price hut the following day

The bairn has picked up one for me and is bringing it down next week.
She's booked a play which is based on the songs of Belle & Sebastian :lol:

The bairn has picked up one for me and is bringing it down next week.
She's booked a play which is based on the songs of Belle & Sebastian :lol:
Sounds good.

For a nice pint try Sandy Bells, 100yds up the road from the little doggy statue. Its a small spit and sawdust place, but has some good real ales and will have a free folk session on in the evenings

Very funny, for a while I was convinced he was from sunderland.
There's a lad called Sean mcgloughlin on the free fringe I would recommend.

I've just seen that Ian Shaw, son of Robert Shaw is playing his father playing Quint in a play about the making of Jaws called The Shark Is Broken.
I'd be all over that one if I was going.

Just being in Edinburgh during the Fringe is fantastic. Have a wander about when there and you’ll more often than not get tickets for anything you want to see.

This. We went up for the Tattoo last year, not realising the fringe was on also. everywhere you turned there was something happening, street food stalls all over etc. You can't fail to not find something.

Yeah, just had a look about on the web, looks canny. The daughter has been to the last couple and she's booked some shows for this year.
Decided we're going the first weekend, Fri,Sat,Sun. and booking some tickets that are only a fiver. Would like to see Frank Skinner or Al Murray but they're nearly £20 each - any chance they would be cheaper on the day?
I know some of them like Frank Skinner are expensive but they are still cheaper then in a normal tour show.
I don't normally do much free fringe and go to more comedians that I like and want to see

Sounds good.

For a nice pint try Sandy Bells, 100yds up the road from the little doggy statue. Its a small spit and sawdust place, but has some good real ales and will have a free folk session on in the evenings

We pass that on the walk in from her place - straight across the Meadows. I think the BBC place is near there as well, in the Uni.

Very funny, for a while I was convinced he was from sunderland.
There's a lad called Sean mcgloughlin on the free fringe I would recommend.
I thought he was from Sunderland too the first few times i saw him.

After looking at the fringe website, it looks like he's not doing it this year

We pass that on the walk in from her place - straight across the Meadows. I think the BBC place is near there as well, in the Uni.
The bbc site used to be at Potterow, just off Bistro Square, but i think they've been doing a lot of building work there. The last time i was there the bbc were in the grounds of Heriots School, which is, as you say, just round the corner from Sandy Bells. The bbc site is free to get in, and there is a free stage which has various things on throughout the day. They also have a ticketed venue in there, and as someone has said, the tickets are free, but you've got to get them in advance from the bbc website.

Last edited:
We're normally on holiday in August so never managed to go but this year we're ok. The daughter has got a flat up there which is empty most of the summer so we may as well use it, anyone got any tips on where to go, who to see etc?
It's brilliant
Went about 4 years ado and stayed a week down beside dean village
So much going in you have to pace yourself but there's s great buzz from noon til after midnight

North Berwick has fring by the sea which is good too

Back