Edinburgh Fringe - tips

We're normally on holiday in August so never managed to go but this year we're ok. The daughter has got a flat up there which is empty most of the summer so we may as well use it, anyone got any tips on where to go, who to see etc?

The BBC have loads of shows you can apply to be in the audience for. It's a random draw so it's hard to get tickets for the most popular programmes, but I've seen a few tv and radio shows over the last few years.

Just being in Edinburgh during the Fringe is fantastic. Have a wander about when there and you’ll more often than not get tickets for anything you want to see.

Yeah, just had a look about on the web, looks canny. The daughter has been to the last couple and she's booked some shows for this year.
Decided we're going the first weekend, Fri,Sat,Sun. and booking some tickets that are only a fiver. Would like to see Frank Skinner or Al Murray but they're nearly £20 each - any chance they would be cheaper on the day?

Yeah, just had a look about on the web, looks canny. The daughter has been to the last couple and she's booked some shows for this year.
Decided we're going the first weekend, Fri,Sat,Sun. and booking some tickets that are only a fiver. Would like to see Frank Skinner or Al Murray but they're nearly £20 each - any chance they would be cheaper on the day?
The bigger, therefore more popular, acts will always still be more expensive, but the first few days always have discounted tickets or two for one type deals but probably need to buy in advance.

20 quid seems cheap.

Jerry Sadowitz.
Dont.

I am (was) a big fan but he was really poor when we saw him.

I would steer clear of the big names (you can see them anywhere, any time) and as stated earlier be prepared to see some shite. The free shows are free for a reason and some are genuinely in store rooms holding 15 people. My advice is go for the mid range, even pay for some in the £5 - £10 range. Royal Mile street entertainers are excellent.

Dont.

I would steer clear of the big names (you can see them anywhere, any time) and as stated earlier be prepared to see some shite. The free shows are free for a reason and some are genuinely in store rooms holding 15 people. My advice is go for the mid range, even pay for some in the £5 - £10 range. Royal Mile street entertainers are excellent.

I've bought a few of them (£5) but always wanted to see JS.
20 quid seems cheap.

Maybe, but when you're going to see a few over the 3 days we're there I'm trying to keep the costs down. The missus drinks like a fish which doesn't help.

Dont.

It’s brilliant, you see one act in one of the main theatres with a few thousand people then the next you are sitting in someone’s living room with 3 other people.

Try and get off the tourist routes a bit if you can. Don't feel pressured to see anything. Even just being in the city during the fringe is a privilege.

Be nice to service staff. I say that having worked in tourist-focused bars and pubs in Edinburgh for a number of years in a previous time of my life. By the end of August you're a zombie.

Just dip in and give stuff a chance. See some free stuff in the back rooms of pubs. Get drunk and stay up into the early hours.

Don't over think it. You'll see some rubbish and see some really good stuff.

Don't bother with big names or shows, it's not what it's for

Probably the best advice TBH

Back