Edinburgh Fringe - tips

I avoid Edinburgh like the plague when the festival is on. Full of tourist w@nks and the pubs put their prices up for the month just to fleece everyone. Even spoons takes off the meal with a pint deal the twunts.

Just dip in and give stuff a chance. See some free stuff in the back rooms of pubs. Get drunk and stay up into the early hours.

Don't over think it. You'll see some rubbish and see some really good stuff.

Don't bother with big names or shows, it's not what it's for
I agree to a point, although if there's someone playing that the OP wants to see, he should definitely go to that as well.

I didn't go in 2018 but I went every year 2008-17 and am back this August. :cool:

Gonna see Henning Wehn again, also Iain Dale interviewing Jess Phillips and Nicola Sturgeon (separately). And a bunch of free shows. :D

I lived in Edinburgh for 3 years and I f***ing love the place, festival or otherwise.

I agree to a point, although if there's someone playing that the OP wants to see, he should definitely go to that as well.

I didn't go in 2018 but I went every year 2008-17 and am back this August. :cool:

Gonna see Henning Wehn again, also Iain Dale interviewing Jess Phillips and Nicola Sturgeon (separately). And a bunch of free shows. :D

I lived in Edinburgh for 3 years and I f***ing love the place, festival or otherwise.

He's interviewing Neil & Christine Hamilton when we're there on the Sat :lol::lol:
Bit of a bump.
We're off up to Edinburgh tomorrow, coming back Monday. Any last minute recommendations?

Last edited:
Going for the first time this year, just there and back in the same day and I think we're going to see four different shows. I'm not paying and get the shows selected for me but I imagine I'll be seeing some diverse stuff.
Went yesterday and loved it although absolutely shattered from racing about. Fitted in five shows and narrowly missed a sixth before getting the 10pm train home. As expected it was a diverse selection but the highlight was something described in The Guardian as a 'subversive, feminist musical'. I would have run a mile had I read the description beforehand but it was outstanding.

Music n comedy only for me though the jaws thing sounds interesting. If it’s on while we’re there I’ll gan. Anyone seen the lassie singer doing jazzish versions of nick cave songs?

Love how 'inequality' is shown by scruffy estates, where the people living in them are supposedly never responsible for the place looking like a shit-tip.

Back