Echo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Very sad if it goes.
Was always part of our home growing up and I still have it delivered but I think I'm just about the only one who does in the street.
It gets called on here but some of it's football coverage is excellent.
Tony Gillans column and the coverage of local football is superb.

Very sad if it goes.
Was always part of our home growing up and I still have it delivered but I think I'm just about the only one who does in the street.
It gets called on here but some of it's football coverage is excellent.
Tony Gillans column and the coverage of local football is superb.

This. Theres something comforting in the memories if reading the Echo at tea time. I used to excitedly wait for it to drop. The excitement of the footy echo on a Saturday was something else though.

Used to sell Borge the Football Echo and the Pink on a Saturday around Washington as a kid. When Sunderland played at home it was a bit of a rush to get back to the New Inn Corner to get them.

What was good back then but got lost along the way was that both papers while having a focus on one of the teams still had a large section with deadicated writers for each club.

While the internet has killed this market for single club papers, there could be a place for a regional sports paper covering all teams and sports in the region from the Tees to the Tweed.

Was the football echo, the pink?
Or was that a different football paper.
Sunderland Echo -White. Football Echo - Pink except it changed to blue for a short time after a relegation.then changed back to Pink.
The Pink was the Newcastle football paper called The Pink, but it was a good read with Sunderland section. It stopped printing whilst the Football Echo kept going for a few more years.

Sunderland Echo -White. Football Echo - Pink except it changed to blue for a short time after a relegation.then changed back to Pink.
The Pink was the Newcastle football paper called The Pink, but it was a good read with Sunderland section. It stopped printing whilst the Football Echo kept going for a few more years.

I remember when Sunderland won and the Mags got beat I would buy both the Football Echo and The Pink and read them several times over the weekend.
Waiting for the Football Echo delivery vans outside the paper shop, what memories, I can still remember " Bye he's late the day !!"
If they ran out of Football Echo's you could always get a Pink.

Was a thriving paper when I was a lad. I was local so I used to work for the Echo as a delivery driver and gantry supervisor in the late 80's early 90s. The dash to get the footy echo to the shops of a Saturday evening was always great fun... drink awaited in the town so getting done, home and out on the lash was paramount :)

Sad to see its decline over the years.

That's technology for you!!

When I moved to London in the 70's my mam used to mail the Footie Echo to me on the Monday. Then I used to mail it on to a mate in Canada! Great days and fond memories.

Once sent a SAFC supporting Irish mate of mine living in Belfast a Footy Echo on a Sunday back in the day when you could post mail on a Sunday and he received it on the Monday morning. (the next day)

I was obsessed with the league tables. Spending hours going through all the permatations. Looking back, it was the equivalent of kids on their computers today, except I spent more a lot time rewriting division 1.

Everything has moved forward, instead of walking to the shop and paying for a paper, you can find an article at ease for free online

Not on the online version of the Echo you couldn't. It became so riddled with adverts, popups, anti-ad blocker blockers, 'Check your PPI' stubs and clickbait, the articles themselves were hidden amongst the crap.
They (and other online local newspapers) have all made the mistake of adding more and more adverts as viewerships dwindle only exacerbating the problem until there's no readership left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back