Echo

The circulation of the Shields Gazette has plummeted in recent years. They moved the printing to Sheffield, closed the town centre office and have only a small office left.

Sadly the age of the printed press is coming to an end. I have fond memories of the echo and the football echo. I also used to look forward to the sunday sun back in the day. It always seemed to be the first with transfer stories. I first learned of many a big signing that way. Now its all on line instantly. Adapt or die im afraid.

Sad if true. The Sunderland Echo is very much a part of the history of the region.

It might be part of the history but it's not part of the future. Society has changed, printed press is in decline. It doesn't help when you have a very moderate product, much diminished in quality and one of the worst mobile browsing experiences available to man. It's a shadow of it's former self and it's plain to see why its failing. The majority of the region just won't miss it at all as it is irrelevant in most households these days.

It was pink and I remember it been green, there was a reason for this, I think it was the first time we were relegated then changed it back to pink when we were promoted.
It was called the Football Echo or more commonly the Footie Echo
It was originally pink, then turned to white, then back to pink. I found an old one in a box of stuff at home. I've definitely got some pink one's somewhere as well! I used to cut the pictures out as a kid, hence the missing part on this photo. Notice Boro and the Mags got relegated that year!
Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
It might be part of the history but it's not part of the future. Society has changed, printed press is in decline. It doesn't help when you have a very moderate product, much diminished in quality and one of the worst mobile browsing experiences available to man. It's a shadow of it's former self and it's plain to see why its failing. The majority of the region just won't miss it at all as it is irrelevant in most households these days.

Yeah, I guess so. Still sad though.

Sad news if true
Very. But it’s been dying on its arse since it moved out of town and is now just a generic local paper churned out like so many others, the standard of journalism has dropped and their website is almost unusable. I would like to think that maybe one day we will have another paper worthy of the name.

Please tell me these people own the chronicle also, imagine having to actually reading that site for safc news daily
You’ve got Roker report for that mate. It’s where the echo get their stories anyway. Just a couple of days later. And they’ve never had a mag reporting on our club. I had a feeling the echo was on its last legs when they pulled that stunt.

Not on the online version of the Echo you couldn't. It became so riddled with adverts, popups, anti-ad blocker blockers, 'Check your PPI' stubs and clickbait, the articles themselves were hidden amongst the crap.
They (and other online local newspapers) have all made the mistake of adding more and more adverts as viewerships dwindle only exacerbating the problem until there's no readership left.

Have to agree there. If I see the echo tweet about some SAFC news and link an article I tend to see if I can find a similar article elsewhere, only clicking on the echo link if I can't find another source reporting it. This is purely because it's the worst website known to man. It's actually embarrassing that they can have a website like that, almost everyone says that it's far too full of adverts, doesn't load properly and is not fit for purpose and it's never been improved. Fully appreciate they need ads, but ones that make the website nearly unreadable are counterproductive. The idea that the written version is produced in Sheffield also doesn't appeal.

Be a shame if it goes in some ways, because I remember it fondly from years ago, but it's become a poor print copy, an awful website and is largely irrelevant given the many other sources around so, in other ways I won't miss it other than from a nostalgia point of view

Have to agree there. If I see the echo tweet about some SAFC news and link an article I tend to see if I can find a similar article elsewhere, only clicking on the echo link if I can't find another source reporting it. This is purely because it's the worst website known to man. It's actually embarrassing that they can have a website like that, almost everyone says that it's far too full of adverts, doesn't load properly and is not fit for purpose and it's never been improved. Fully appreciate they need ads, but ones that make the website nearly unreadable are counterproductive. The idea that the written version is produced in Sheffield also doesn't appeal.

Be a shame if it goes in some ways, because I remember it fondly from years ago, but it's become a poor print copy, an awful website and is largely irrelevant given the many other sources around so, in other ways I won't miss it other than from a nostalgia point of view
I think all the local papers (throughout the country) must get their website's done by the same company as they are all horrific.

When they stopped printing the Football Echo they started publishing it online in exactly the same format. I always remember it as I loved the sound the pages made as you 'turned them over'. Wonder why they stopped doing publishing it online? Don't think it lasted that long iirc.

When they stopped printing the Football Echo they started publishing it online in exactly the same format. I always remember it as I loved the sound the pages made as you 'turned them over'. Wonder why they stopped doing publishing it online? Don't think it lasted that long iirc.
I think they probably didn’t have the staff resource to do it . I loved the footy echo

Back