Easiest musical instrument to learn?

Thinking you can master or even learn to play any musical instrument (barring the maracas, tamborine, triangle, etc) "easily" is naive tbh. It takes a lot of dedication and practice.

So you should pick an instrument you are passionate about and willing to put the hours in for

Bass is easy
May I respectfully suggest if you think bass is easy you should spend 7 minutes listening to Marcus Miller or Jaco Pistorious.

You have got to have the groove to play bass.

Plodding along playing root notes is fairly straightforward but have a listen to this please.

And this

May I respectfully suggest if you think bass is easy you should spend 7 minutes listening to Marcus Miller or Jaco Pistorious.

You have got to have the groove to play bass.

Plodding along playing root notes is fairly straightforward but have a listen to this please.

And this

Play bass, guitar and drums. Bass is the easiest by far. Finger movement and positioning is a doddle.

Guitar is the easiest to learn to get to a standard which is usable/acceptable.

Piano is tough if you want to play properly. I can play it to a point but only in terms of chords and octave (or arpeggio) left hand.

I'm lucky I learned to play trumpet when I was a kid and I can turn my hand to most instruments at least enough to get something out of them. The only thing that has completely defeated me was the accordion.

Drums...unless you want to learn tuned percussion to go with it are for people who can't learn to play a musical instrument :)
If you learn a couple of chords and the A-minor Pentatonic scale, and then add a little social awareness, you can basically pass yourself off as being a decent guitar player to most people.

Personally, took this a step further and also competently learned Phrygian mode and the E-harmonic minor scale so I could showboat, or just in case I ever found myself in a situation where I had to pretend I was Yngwie Malmsteen.

If you learn a couple of chords and the A-minor Pentatonic scale, and then add a little social awareness, you can basically pass yourself off as being a decent guitar player to most people.

Personally, took this a step further and also competently learned Phrygian mode and the E-harmonic minor scale so I could showboat, or just in case I ever found myself in a situation where I had to pretend I was Yngwie Malmsteen.
Ah yes, the joys of scales. Never been a fan to be honest although I appreciate fully to play any sort of decent lead guitar you really need to know your way round them.

I had my fill of them when learning the fuckers at school

Always fancied learning to play a musical instrument like drums, piano or guitar.

What’s the easiest to learn ?

Most practical is probably the guitar as if I’m away with work I can practice drumming my guitar rather than….

Can’t exactly stick a piano or drum kit in the boot next to a bag of clothes.

I’m also thinking I’m a bit lazy so I’ll need to make progress quite quickly or I’ll loose interest.

What’s the recommendations of the SMB ?!?
Not get far drumming a guitar.

Not get far drumming a guitar.
When I was a bairn someone gave us a banjo which promptly lost its neck and strings so we had a "drum". Years later I got a banjo and I always wonder if that old hacked up one was any good. Mebbes not a guitar but a banjo drum...

Would love to be musical - but at junior school my singing was so bad they didn’t want me singing with the rest of the class and gave me a triangle. After a few school assemblies that was taken off me and given to someone else. I tapped when I shouldn’t but by the time I should I’d drifted off…. Almost bought a ukulele whilst on holiday but god knows what I’d do with it.

Tambourine? Triangle?

I'm buying a keyboard next week. Got a £100-£150 to play with if anyone has any recommendations?
If you have a laptop/PC then I’d buy a midi keyboard, hook it up and you can play classic piano sounds as well as synth sounds.

Play bass, guitar and drums. Bass is the easiest by far. Finger movement and positioning is a doddle.

Playing a musical instrument is a rewarding pastime. The guitar is good to learn because of its versatility of styles and the ease of accompanying yourself singing simple tunes if that’s your bag. Piano is a lot harder to learn and master to the degree that a guitar enables the above. You can’t do any of that with a bass guitar without being something special.

And I’ve heard a lot of bass players in my time who believe they’ve mastered the instrument because they can move their fingers and know the root notes. Then you hear a bass player who knows how to add swing to ensemble playing, knows about syncopation and can play with, behind or slightly ahead of a drum beat, align with a bass drum rhythmn, whilst supporting and adding colour to a song … and you can tell the difference.

Last edited:

Back