Easiest musical instrument to learn?

safccfas

Winger
Always fancied learning to play a musical instrument like drums, piano or guitar.

What’s the easiest to learn ?

Most practical is probably the guitar as if I’m away with work I can practice drumming my guitar rather than….

Can’t exactly stick a piano or drum kit in the boot next to a bag of clothes.

I’m also thinking I’m a bit lazy so I’ll need to make progress quite quickly or I’ll loose interest.

What’s the recommendations of the SMB ?!?

Tambourine? Triangle?

I'm buying a keyboard next week. Got a £100-£150 to play with if anyone has any recommendations?

Can you play or are you learning ?

Quite like the idea of sitting in an old pub somewhere random having a few pints then having a little tinkle on the old piano in the corner just for the crack

Genuinely I think drums is easy to get to a competent level, it's then one of the hardest to master (grade 5 and above).

Can you play or are you learning ?

Quite like the idea of sitting in an old pub somewhere random having a few pints then having a little tinkle on the old piano in the corner just for the crack

I played when I was a kid but only managed to complete a couple of tunes, Happy Birthday and Bobby Shafto.

Genuinely I think drums is easy to get to a competent level, it's then one of the hardest to master (grade 5 and above).
Reaching a level of competence is the thing with any instrument, I'd love to be decent with guitar but my fingers wouldn't join in so my (cheap) acoustic guitar went into storage years ago. Strangely I was thinking about digging it out to have another go but the strings have probably gone.
Tambourine
That was also a good one at juniors so long as you were looking when the teacher pointed at you to make a sound with it.

Last edited:
Guitar is the easiest to learn to get to a standard which is usable/acceptable.

Piano is tough if you want to play properly. I can play it to a point but only in terms of chords and octave (or arpeggio) left hand.

I'm lucky I learned to play trumpet when I was a kid and I can turn my hand to most instruments at least enough to get something out of them. The only thing that has completely defeated me was the accordion.

Drums...unless you want to learn tuned percussion to go with it are for people who can't learn to play a musical instrument :)

Always fancied learning to play a musical instrument like drums, piano or guitar.

What’s the easiest to learn ?

Most practical is probably the guitar as if I’m away with work I can practice drumming my guitar rather than….

Can’t exactly stick a piano or drum kit in the boot next to a bag of clothes.

I’m also thinking I’m a bit lazy so I’ll need to make progress quite quickly or I’ll loose interest.

What’s the recommendations of the SMB ?!?
Bass is easy

Let's face it, it depends on the person and how much time they commit to learning it. It also depends on how they are learning and whether the way they're learning is effective. Some people have a natural aptitude for things like this, I'm certainly not one of them.

Back