Early leavers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Said it before, the club need to do some research into why people do it. If it's just because they want a pint then there's nothing anyone can do about it. Some, however, might have reasons the club can try and work with. Does the park and ride system need looking at, could they speak to the council about the parking restrictions? As we've seen from this thread people won't stop doing it just because others moan.

I've mentioned that I stay till the end but that I'm one who goes down before half time for a pint. I could easily tell the club why. I want a drink at half time but the service is so slow that if I wait until the whistle I often don't get served until the players are coming out for the second half. If they sorted that I'd stay in my seat till the whistle, maybe it's the same with early leavers, some might stay if some minor change was made
Spot on marra, lets hope Methven can find a solution

Last edited:

Again, I accept it’s up to individuals when they turn up and leave, but from what I have observed in person and on tv, there is not another club who has so many fans:

• 1: still pouring in on 5 mins;
  • 2: that leave so early before half time (the exodus begins on 30 mins);
  • 3: that are still returning in droves after 50 mins;
  • 4: that leave on 80 minutes regardless of the result; and
  • 5: aimlessly wandering the stadium during the match. At any given moment there are hods on the move. We’ve got a high percentage of fans with ants in their pants.
People can say other clubs have late arrivers, people slipping away early before HT for refreshments, and early leavers, and this is of course true, but not to anywhere near the same extent imo.

You counted them?
Have you?

Looks pathetic
Again, I accept it’s up to individuals when they turn up and leave, but from what I have observed in person and on tv, there is not another club who has so many fans:

• 3: that are still returning in droves after 50 mins; and
  • 4: that leave on 80 minutes regardless of the result.
People can say other clubs have late arrivers, people slipping away early before HT for refreshments, and early leavers, and this is of course true, but not to anywhere near the same extent imo.

It’s akin to someone having a conversation with you and you can see their attention waining and they f*ck off without listening to you finish your sentence. That’s what we’ve become, disrespectful. Someone has mentioned this earlier, and I agree. You could argue that they’re not worthy of our respect, but I could argue that they are. They’re playing at a higher standard than many of us ever got close to. We might have dreamt it as youngsters, but we never made it. They did. In my eyes, that demands a bit of respect. As a society, we’re constantly seeking instant gratification. 90 minutes is beyond the capabilities of many it seems. Gone are the days that the players on the pitch were hero-worshipped, they’re barely worth us staying to watch them for the full duration.

• 5: aimlessly wandering the stadium during the match. At any given moment there are hods on the move. We’ve got a high percentage of fans with ants in their pants.

There are some reasons for some of them though

1) the price and quality of beer in the ground; I know not many grounds will have nice beer but many stay in town where you can get a pint for £2.10 and then come across last minute rather than getting there in good time and having a pint of £4.40 piss. When it's match day sale fans doing it there's another issue that often there aren't many cash turnstiles so there's queues, although I see they doubled the number available on Saturday.

2) fully agree, I go early for a pint but tend to go down about 42 minutes and I get served before half time, not sure why some seem to go so much earlier

3) those coming back late are probably, in many cases, the ones who didn't go down early for a pint, leave when the whistle goes and you're often nearly the whole break just waiting to be served, if you then have your drink you're bound to miss some of the second half

4 and 5 I agree with you, although again I'd like the club to look into why people do number 4 in case they can do something about it for some of the fans

There are some reasons for some of them though

1) the price and quality of beer in the ground; I know not many grounds will have nice beer but many stay in town where you can get a pint for £2.10 and then come across last minute rather than getting there in good time and having a pint of £4.40 piss. When it's match day sale fans doing it there's another issue that often there aren't many cash turnstiles so there's queues, although I see they doubled the number available on Saturday.

2) fully agree, I go early for a pint but tend to go down about 42 minutes and I get served before half time, not sure why some seem to go so much earlier

3) those coming back late are probably, in many cases, the ones who didn't go down early for a pint, leave when the whistle goes and you're often nearly the whole break just waiting to be served, if you then have your drink you're bound to miss some of the second half

4 and 5 I agree with you, although again I'd like the club to look into why people do number 4 in case they can do something about it for some of the fans

I think the club maybe need to sit down with the Police and Sunderland City Council, as the Local Highway Authority, to see if something could be done in terms of shutting down local roads immediately around the stadium for an hour or so after the final whistle to non-matchday traffic (other than in an emergency) to allow people to flow away easier. I’m only talking from say the Wheatsheaf to the Alex Bridge Gyratory.

Get a few of the coppers we pay an absolute fortune for out on the road to manage the traffic for an hour or so. Turn Kier Hardie into a dual carriageway towards the Alex Bridge only. Would make a huge difference.

Last edited:
I think the club maybe need to sit down with the Police and Sunderland City Council, as the Local Highway Authority, to see if something could be done in terms of shutting down local roads immediately around the stadium for an hour or so after the final whistle to non-matchday traffic (other than in an emergency) to allow people to flow away easier. I’m only talking from say the Wheatsheaf to the Alex Bridge Gyratory.

Get a few of the coppers we pay an absolute fortune for out on the road to manage the traffic for an hour or so. Turn Kier Hardie into a dual carriageway towards the Alex Bridge only. Would make a huge difference.
Good idea marra, we need someone to tweet Donald with your suggestion

Means he cares about the club and it's reputation
Dont talk shite hes a business man , he couldnt give a toss , its all about money. I dont blame him he wants to maximise the return on his investment but lets not come out with tnis love for the club BS.

It’s akin to someone having a conversation with you and you can see their attention waining and they f*ck off without listening to you finish your sentence. That’s what we’ve become, disrespectful. Someone has mentioned this earlier, and I agree. You could argue that they’re not worthy of our respect, but I could argue that they are. They’re playing at a higher standard than many of us ever got close to. We might have dreamt it as youngsters, but we never made it. They did. In my eyes, that demands a bit of respect. As a society, we’re constantly seeking instant gratification. 90 minutes is beyond the capabilities of many it seems. Gone are the days that the players on the pitch were hero-worshipped, they’re barely worth us staying to watch them for the full duration.
Moat of em are being paid a kings ransome to do a job , wtf has respect got to do with it ?

Last edited:
Dont talk shite hes a business man , he couldnt give a toss , its all about money. I dont blame him he wants to maximise the return on his investment but lets not come out with tnis love for the club BS.

Moat of em are being paid a kings ransome to do a job , wtf has respect got to do with it ?
What an absolute bitter person you are :lol:

Maybe at other clubs people would instead simply not bother?

Reactions: JJH
My choice bud.

My choice in life to go to work to earn money to buy a season ticket, to be able to attend away games.

To go on a bus with my mates be it home or away.
To have a good day out.

To get in late.
Go for a pint at half time.
To leave early.

All of the above are decisions I make as it's my choice.

I don't have to justifify myself to absolute idiots like @offmenut who have opinions which mean nothing in the real world
:lol:

This is brilliant
This gammon @Teesdale Branch has just pmd me, even though my opinions ‘don’t mean anything, ‘ wanting to fight me at the Peterborough game !!
What an absolute helmet.
Wants me to look like Alan Barnes - nice bloke, referencing the poor fella who got mugged in Newcastle.

Can’t believe what an absolute helmet this fella will be in real life. :lol::lol:

Agree agree completely re police. We are paying a fortune for them. There is hardly no bother. Get them on to improve traffic control and earn there money properly.

If it's about missing the traffic, I park southside near the civic, stay until the end, stroll back to the car, and I'm in Stanley by 6/610. When I used to live north of the Tyne I did the same, parking further away on South side and driving back to A19 from that side has always missed the traffic

If it's about missing the traffic, I park southside near the civic, stay until the end, stroll back to the car, and I'm in Stanley by 6/610. When I used to live north of the Tyne I did the same, parking further away on South side and driving back to A19 from that side has always missed the traffic
Exactly.. I would never dream of parking next to the ground.. If I ever took the car that is.. I support the team for the duration of the game and then walk into town at my own leisure to have a beer to let traffic clear and then use public transport to get home.. I would love to know why it is so urgent for thousands of our fans to rush out long before the game is over?

Exactly.. I would never dream of parking next to the ground.. If I ever took the car that is.. I support the team for the duration of the game and then walk into town at my own leisure to have a beer to let traffic clear and then use public transport to get home.. I would love to know why it is so urgent for thousands of our fans to rush out long before the game is over?

This is why the club need to look into it, until they know why people do it it'll never change. Maybe just popping into town for a bit works great for you. Other people might have a young family that they're desperate to get back to. If they're an hour away the difference between getting back at 6 compared to half 6 might mean they can help get a baby in the bath and off to bed, rather than expecting the missus to do it all because they've nipped into town for 45 minutes to let the traffic clear having already been out all afternoon. They might have a very slightly older family but again want to be back to sit down at 6 and have a meal with them, maybe half 6 or 7 is getting late for a tea if the kid is 5 years old.

Not saying that's the case for everyone (it no doubt isn't) but we simply don't know at the minute. How much does waiting add to most people's journeys? Can they afford to wait while the traffic clears? I stay till the end but then I just get a 4 or 16 bus up the road, takes me 45 minutes even if I have to wait for the bus, an hour if I grab a pint at the halfway house first, I can easily get back for 6 but that's not the same for everyone. Everyone is different, I'm just glad so many are going to the game regardless of when they choose to leave

This is why the club need to look into it, until they know why people do it it'll never change. Maybe just popping into town for a bit works great for you. Other people might have a young family that they're desperate to get back to. If they're an hour away the difference between getting back at 6 compared to half 6 might mean they can help get a baby in the bath and off to bed, rather than expecting the missus to do it all because they've nipped into town for 45 minutes to let the traffic clear having already been out all afternoon. They might have a very slightly older family but again want to be back to sit down at 6 and have a meal with them, maybe half 6 or 7 is getting late for a tea if the kid is 5 years old.

Not saying that's the case for everyone (it no doubt isn't) but we simply don't know at the minute. How much does waiting add to most people's journeys? Can they afford to wait while the traffic clears? I stay till the end but then I just get a 4 or 16 bus up the road, takes me 45 minutes even if I have to wait for the bus, an hour if I grab a pint at the halfway house first, I can easily get back for 6 but that's not the same for everyone. Everyone is different, I'm just glad so many are going to the game regardless of when they choose to leave

That's the thing, we are at the back of the South Stand, seems to take an age to get down to the tunnels but we got out, walked to the car and were in Boldon by 5.20pm on Saturday. I think this is largely down to the amount of people leaving early, they actually make it better for those of us who stay until the end.

That's the thing, we are at the back of the South Stand, seems to take an age to get down to the tunnels but we got out, walked to the car and were in Boldon by 5.20pm on Saturday. I think this is largely down to the amount of people leaving early, they actually make it better for those of us who stay until the end.
Got to Durham at 5.45 on Saturday , last ones to leave the stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back