Durham v Middlesex 7/8/22

This gives a better picture of the squad who actually contributed to that championship win. Harmi didn't appear, Benks less than a third of the games.
The core squad was
Stoneman
Jennings
Smith
Stokes
Richardson
Colly
Borthwick
Mustard
Onions
Rushworth
Wood/Thorp.
Apart from Smith,/Thorp all Academy products.

And every single one would improve this squad so I don't know what your point is

And every single one would improve this squad so I don't know what your point is
I've never disputed that or suggested they wouldn't. My original point was that a championship winning team could be assembled using only a fraction of the salary cap and composed predominantly of academy products.

Last edited:
I've never disputed that or suggested they wouldn't. My original point was that a championship winning team could be assembled using only a fraction of the salary cap and composed predominantly of academy products.

You're comparing the best crop of academy products we've ever had with the current crop..also comparing a salary cap team with the current lot who are at 60% of the salary cap

Does our current academy compare to the one that existed then and the years previously? I have the impression that the academy too has been cut back.

Does our current academy compare to the one that existed then and the years previously? I have the impression that the academy too has been cut back.

Calling onions, mustard, borthwick, stokes, woody, stoneman etc 'academy lads' whilst true they're hardly comparable with mcalindon, Gibson etc with half a season of experience

And as you point out, the depth of benkenstein, claydon, Thorp etc compared to basically 16-17 year olds who e barely played second xi is night and day

Club pulled them out of NEPL fixtures a while ago.

I think going forward we're going to see poorer youth produced due to this. The NEPL was fantastic for the Academy team, really getting them ready to play FC cricket by honing their skills as youngsters against strong club opposition. To be honest, I think we're already seeing the effects of it. Although many do play individually for clubs, I think we should be trying to get the Academy back into the NEPL as a team instead of the current set up.

I think going forward we're going to see poorer youth produced due to this. The NEPL was fantastic for the Academy team, really getting them ready to play FC cricket by honing their skills as youngsters against strong club opposition. To be honest, I think we're already seeing the effects of it. Although many do play individually for clubs, I think we should be trying to get the Academy back into the NEPL as a team instead of the current set up.

My gut feeling is I absolutely agree, personally I'm not involved enough locally to see how it impacts olayers, I can see their maybe be benefits as well as negatives but one thing you can't argue is by being separated instead of playing together agains clubs they aren't building chemistry in the way academy groups will have previously and if there's one thing playing to anybody this season it's that team morale is shot and I can see that so being results based

I think there was a decent size drop in quality coming through, big enough to bin the set up but I think the quality will start coming back soon (lots of improved youth setups are now bearing fruit) and can imagine they would look at getting an academy side back in the league

I think there was a decent size drop in quality coming through, big enough to bin the set up but I think the quality will start coming back soon (lots of improved youth setups are now bearing fruit) and can imagine they would look at getting an academy side back in the league
It was never in relation to quality. They dropped the Academy team from the Saturday league for financial reasons.

Yup good to see the lad doing well. Maybe he saw the light with those "running" the club
I suspect others will be doing the same quite soon.
Recruitment has been absolutely shite under these 2. Going to be difficult going forward to attract players to the club.
Players in other clubs know their reputation so will think twice about joining us. As if it wasn’t already tough enough to encourage them to move to the far North.

Last edited:
I suspect others will be doing the same quite soon.

Players in other clubs know their reputation so will think twice about joining us. As if it wasn’t already tough enough to encourage them to move to the far North.

Agreed on both statements.

Said on here the other week that Evison from Notts to Kent would have been a good solid signing for us. Recruitment with this regime worries me as does the possibility of some players who may think "enough is enough, I want out".

Back