Durham v Durham University

Far from being an expert …. but ….

shouldn't a Student's match be compared to an alternative and if the alternative is more time in the nets wouldn't it be better to bat against someone unknown who is trying to impress to get picked up by a County rather than more time against the same old net bowlers you've you netted against umpteen times.

Just a thought and I'll fully accept if it's way off, I know lots here have experience.

I get people complaining from Durham's perspective, but wasn't the intention of these games to expose talented youngsters who are part of the centre of excellence programmes. A fair few players have come through the University programmes. Obviously they may have succeeded anyway, but I don't think they hurt.

The one downside of the Saffer tour is that conditions at the Riverside on return will be completely different. What better way to acclimate than a game against a side weaker than normal opposition.

Far from being an expert …. but ….

shouldn't a Student's match be compared to an alternative and if the alternative is more time in the nets wouldn't it be better to bat against someone unknown who is trying to impress to get picked up by a County rather than more time against the same old net bowlers you've you netted against umpteen times.

Just a thought and I'll fully accept if it's way off, I know lots here have experience.

Find this post a bit strange if I’m honest Bri, why compare it to time in the nets as the only alternative?

Why couldn’t we play against another county? I’d far rather play against a Division One club and I’m fairly sure there’d be clubs willing to aid their own preparation for the season by agreeing to play us.

Or why not even a red ball fixture over 3 day’s against our own second string? It would be much more of a test than the students will be.

The one downside of the Saffer tour is that conditions at the Riverside on return will be completely different. What better way to acclimate than a game against a side weaker than normal opposition.

“The only way to get smarter, is by playing a smarter opponent.”

Fundamentals of Chess 1883.

;)

Last edited:
If they can't play v another county can't a XI be made from the top players in local cricket? Experienced lads and lads who have just missed out on the pathway to county cricket. Surely even that would be more of a game than the uni fixtures

Find this post a bit strange if I’m honest Bri, why compare it to time in the nets as the only alternative?

Why couldn’t we play against another county? I’d far rather play against a Division One club and I’m fairly sure there’d be clubs willing to aid their own preparation for the season by agreeing to play us.

Or why not even a red ball fixture over 3 day’s against our own second string? It would be much more of a test than the students will be.

“The only way to get smarter, is by playing a smarter opponent.”

Fundamentals of Chess 1883.

;)
Yea, I did mean as an example such as nets.

One thing that will be interesting is to see the side selected and if anyone has caught the eye of the new management team. Plenty of places up for grabs and a squad full of all rounders.

Let’s players practice in a game. These games are a good thing. Let’s promising uni players have a go to.

Not sure they should be first class status though. Are they still?

One thing that will be interesting is to see the side selected and if anyone has caught the eye of the new management team. Plenty of places up for grabs and a squad full of all rounders.

Aye, good point that Wayne - I’d expect the XI picked will more or less be the same XI at Derby the week after.

Let’s players practice in a game. These games are a good thing. Let’s promising uni players have a go to.

Not sure they should be first class status though. Are they still?
It's outrageous any of the uni games are still first class.

If they can't play v another county can't a XI be made from the top players in local cricket? Experienced lads and lads who have just missed out on the pathway to county cricket. Surely even that would be more of a game than the uni fixtures
I just think there's too much of a chasm in standard between even the best club players and the professionals.

Last edited:
Aye, good point that Wayne - I’d expect the XI picked will more or less be the same XI at Derby the week after.
Hopefully they will have appointed the championship captain. We also might have an idea who will bat in the top 3 and are we going to continue with this idea of playing 2 keepers. Iam also interested to see if they are all fit which of the seam bowlers get the nod.wr have got a squad full of right arm seamers who can also bat.

Hopefully they will have appointed the championship captain. We also might have an idea who will bat in the top 3 and are we going to continue with this idea of playing 2 keepers. Iam also interested to see if they are all fit which of the seam bowlers get the nod.wr have got a squad full of right arm seamers who can also bat.
Wonder if the injured bowlers like Potts and Carse are now fit?

A far better idea would be to play a Div 1 county and/or or a NEPL select XI. The latter could be an opportunity to take a look at those that may have potential to play for Durham. Have a 3 day game Friday-Sunday so lads don't need much time off work. Universities produce very few FC cricketers these days.

A far better idea would be to play a Div 1 county and/or or a NEPL select XI. The latter could be an opportunity to take a look at those that may have potential to play for Durham. Have a 3 day game Friday-Sunday so lads don't need much time off work. Universities produce very few FC cricketers these days.

I read somewhere last year that 25% of the county playing staffs came through the university system. Even if that is bollocks I still like that aspiring cricketers can continue their education whilst still gaining valuable experience.

Back