Durham Uni

Status
Not open for further replies.
or it could be actually more to who's running the Halls. It's no coincidence that Newcastle, Northumbria and Durham all have halls with Unite which lets say have a rather dodgy record whereas Sunderland and Teesside have none.

Funnily they have halls in Leeds, Manchester, Oxford, Nottingham, Sheffield, Glasgow, Exeter, Edinburgh, Liverpool but none in York, Middlesbrough, Hull, Sunderland, Huddersfield - notice the trend here.

I couldn't edit the other post.

Last edited:

Surely the problem could be as simple there's a large number of students who pick Northumbria and Newcastle simply because of the night life who don't give a toss about the degree with crap like fine arts etc who just want 2 years of partying and will do it regardless.

Durham is Durham not much more needs to be said about there.

Whereas Sunderland and Teesside don't really have anything it's more of a last choice place (no offence intended) so there's possibly less of the house parties in Jesmond when someone has Covid type scenes (which has been reported) hence the lower numbers.

Newcastle has one of the best Fine Art courses in the country. You'll need at least AAB to get in there I reckon. Richard Hamilton lectured there. Jonathan Ive studied at Northumbria - a year below me. I went to his degree show. It was very good. Teesside has a great and very competitive Forensic Science course as well as Paramedic stuff. Sunderland has great Media, Broadcast and Pharmacy courses and also a new medical school. And indeed Durham is Durham. Apart from that you're spot on.

Newcastle has one of the best Fine Art courses in the country. You'll need at least AAB to get in there I reckon. Richard Hamilton lectured there. Jonathan Ive studied at Northumbria - a year below me. I went to his degree show. It was very good. Teesside has a great and very competitive Forensic Science course as well as Paramedic stuff. Sunderland has great Media, Broadcast and Pharmacy courses and also a new medical school. And indeed Durham is Durham. Apart from that you're spot on.
School of Health at Teesside is very impressive.

Really don't have a clue where fine arts came from there it's not even a bad degree. Drama is what I was thinking of though which is pointless unless it's at one of the decent drama schools which isn't the North East unis.

Btw I didn't mean that as a bad thing about Sunderland and Teesside just more that you won't get the typical student knobs who go to Durham and Newcastle as they don't have the reputation so will be more local people who'll end up there or more of a second choice. Similar that we won't go to Falmouth or Staffordshire Uni even known they're probably exactly the same if not better than the Russell Group unis in terms of actual learning, just a shame a name means more than that though.

Really don't have a clue where fine arts came from there it's not even a bad degree. Drama is what I was thinking of though which is pointless unless it's at one of the decent drama schools which isn't the North East unis.

Btw I didn't mean that as a bad thing about Sunderland and Teesside just more that you won't get the typical student knobs who go to Durham and Newcastle as they don't have the reputation so will be more local people who'll end up there or more of a second choice. Similar that we won't go to Falmouth or Staffordshire Uni even known they're probably exactly the same if not better than the Russell Group unis in terms of actual learning, just a shame a name means more than that though.
Cracking bunch of students down at Teesside.

Sorry mate, I got the wrong end of the stick there. I've spent the last two hours arguing on Twitter and was wound up!

Surely the problem could be as simple there's a large number of students who pick Northumbria and Newcastle simply because of the night life who don't give a toss about the degree with crap like fine arts etc who just want 2 years of partying and will do it regardless.

Durham is Durham not much more needs to be said about there.

Whereas Sunderland and Teesside don't really have anything it's more of a last choice place (no offence intended) so there's possibly less of the house parties in Jesmond when someone has Covid type scenes (which has been reported) hence the lower numbers.
Only someone with no knowledge of Sunderland and Teesside would make that statement mind :lol: You’re judging them on their location rather than anything else
Cracking bunch of students down at Teesside.
Well managed institution, financially secure, making strides in research with the NHC. Pilfering a ton of staff from Newcastle & UNN and moving in the right direction in all measurable KPIs. But no, it’s a place of last resort.

IT staff are a pack of wankers mind. ;)

Last edited:
Tbh, the re-opening of unis for taught degrees was always a shit idea.

Everyone knows 'freshers flu' is a constantly recurring issue as people from all over converge.

Why were they allowed back? Guessing its a business decision of the Unis as they simply need the money?
Or a deliberate plan to spread it among the younger population before the usual winter respiratory illness surge......

😂😂😂 as if this government makes plans

You and your stereotypes really couldn’t be more wrong about our local unis. Sunderland’s only 28% local students for a start. And all of our local universities have excellent records in some areas. And Newcastle uni is one of the best in the country, so doubt they’re picked for nightlife reasons.

You and your stereotypes really couldn’t be more wrong about our local unis. Sunderland’s only 28% local students for a start. And all of our local universities have excellent records in some areas. And Newcastle uni is one of the best in the country, so doubt they’re picked for nightlife reasons.

There's definitely people who pick Newcastle for the nightlife like, I'm not saying everyone obviously but there is some who'll pick Newcastle over others because of nightlife reasons. You hear it quite often from students especially at Northumbria and you only really need 1 or 2 people in a flat in halls and you'll have the whole flat out because let's be honest when your 18 or 19 who wants to be the person who doesn't go out and is 'sad'.

I'm not too sure on this but isn't 28% quite high for local numbers and Durham was 7% or so?

Only someone with no knowledge of Sunderland and Teesside would make that statement mind :lol: You’re judging them on their location rather than anything else

Well managed institution, financially secure, making strides in research with the NHC. Pilfering a ton of staff from Newcastle & UNN and moving in the right direction in all measurable KPIs. But no, it’s a place of last resort.

IT staff are a pack of wankers mind. ;)

It was more from a student picking a uni point of view rather than mine and they definitely wouldn't have a clue. Tbf most of them probably wouldn't have a clue where they are more than anything. At the end of the day they both do pretty badly in the league tables (and always have), both are reletively new so don't have the red brick / russell group and are in places that most people local won't have a clue where they are ie not Leeds, Newcastle etc. I'd be surprised if there's many students not from the North East who when choosing a university decide that the best University for them is ranked 100/121 in one the league tables overall and they've never heard or know nothing about the place.

Unless you do proper research which most 16/17 year olds won't do, Teesside and Sunderland aren't the most attractive choice and you won't see that sort of stuff hence you'll get a lot of second choices or the people actually do them as their first choice have done their research and aren't likely to be the type who want to have Covid parties in Jesmond.

Last edited:
Durham city currently has a cases per 100,000 which is about 10 times Manchester. It will spread throughout the wider community in coming weeks.

how do you know that?
Because the virus is highly contagious and there is no reason to think that you can have high rates of transmission in one demographic without it spreading to another. Eg the uptick in cases started amongst the young and has now spread to the old.

how do you know that?

If it is then it's a massive lockdown and Christmas is cancelled.

If it isn't the current spike was all the fault of the Universities and we will get back to rule of 6 and Santa can fill his sack.

I think it will be the latter. (But could be totally wrong)
Because the virus is highly contagious and there is no reason to think that you can have high rates of transmission in one demographic without it spreading to another. Eg the uptick in cases started amongst the young and has now spread to the old.

Apart from the fact students are have very insular lives and the local population are socially distancing and transmission may be much lower out of the student community.

Last edited:

If it isn't the current spike was all the fault of the Universities and we will get back to rule of 6 and Santa can fill his sack.

Apart from the fact students are have very insular lives and the local population are socially distancing and transmission may be much lower out of the student community.
I don’t disagree, to some extent. However while students are largely insular, they are taught by staff who live in local streets, who have children in local schools, the non teaching staff (cleaners etc) are all local, they use the same restaurants, pubs, supermarkets etc etc. I would be surprised if it doesn’t spread straight into the wider population.

73% of the population of Durham is now a student not many people for them to spread it to other than themsleves

I don’t disagree, to some extent. However while students are largely insular, they are taught by staff who live in local streets, who have children in local schools, the non teaching staff (cleaners etc) are all local, they use the same restaurants, pubs, supermarkets etc etc. I would be surprised if it doesn’t spread straight into the wider population.

It will definitely spread but the transmission will be much much lower because of the measures in place.

I don't blame students for getting the virus. They live en masse in Halls and were sitting targets. (Some were selfish)
73% of the population of Durham is now a student not many people for them to spread it to other than themsleves
Wow!! That is a ridiculous number

from what i understand we've seen a spike as university's return, and then to use the popular term and flattening of the curve with a touch of herd immunity thrown in. i believe that's what they've seen in newcastle and that durham came back a little later so are a week or two behind?

@haway this ^^^
I would be surprised if it doesn’t spread straight into the wider population.
i don't think that has been demonstrated as a fact in other areas, yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back