Durham Uni

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durham University account for approx 30% of cases this month in County Durham (530000)

I don't have the exact figure but it was 1700 last week so assumed 1800.

That's a high % no matter how you try and dress it up.

Thankfully cases are coming down at the university but a week or so ago Durham City was identified as a uk coronavirus hotspot

Hopefully it settles down.

Durham University account for approx 30% of cases this month in County Durham (530000)

I don't have the exact figure but it was 1700 last week so assumed 1800.

That's a high % no matter how you try and dress it up.

Thankfully cases are coming down at the university but a week or so ago Durham City was identified as a uk coronavirus hotspot

Hopefully it settles down.
High yes, but my point is that because this is still the minority, Durham clearly has bigger problems than the University. By shrugging it away as a student problem, it is dangerous because the rest of the population are spreading it and it was already rising rapidly before the students returned.

Blaming the students is wrong. If they amounted to 80% of cases, absolutely. There needs to be a good look at where the majority of 70% got it from.

Would Durham city also include the hospital? If so then Ward 6 is doing a valiant job of increasing the numbers just by itself.

Not for these purposes.

Your postcode assigns you to a census output area. Census output areas (OA) fit inside lower-layer super output areas (LSOA), which in turn, fit inside middle-layer super output areas (MSOA)

The public-facing COVID data on small areas, like the above, are done at MSOA level.

The given postcode for any person being tested is - theoretically - where they're matched to, but of course people do give the wrong postcodes sometimes.

So if someone from Sunderland had a test in County Durham, it would not count towards County Durham's figures, nor would a hospital inpatient unduly inflate the rate for whichever MSOA UHND is in, because it would be assigned to the patient's home postcode.

Complications do arise for those with no fixed above, in temporary accommodation etc.

Don't know if anyone here's picked up on this one - but bet this is going to make the figures go up as well.

De Montfort and Durham universities are now running pilot projects for rapid Covid testing, including identifying those who might be infectious but have no symptoms.

I have no idea why those two were picked apart from them both starting with the letter D - couldn't think of two more different university setups! Don't know how they're doing it in Durham but DMU are randomly selecting and contacting student groups from the email I got (we're not neatly grouped into colleges like Durham).

Don't know if anyone here's picked up on this one - but bet this is going to make the figures go up as well.

De Montfort and Durham universities are now running pilot projects for rapid Covid testing, including identifying those who might be infectious but have no symptoms.

I have no idea why those two were picked apart from them both starting with the letter D - couldn't think of two more different university setups! Don't know how they're doing it in Durham but DMU are randomly selecting and contacting student groups from the email I got (we're not neatly grouped into colleges like Durham).

Maybe comparing the two? De Montfort is in a very high BAME area and a Durham is about as white as you can get. The two couldn’t be further apart if you only compare ethnicity and it does appear that ethnicity has a role to play in covid.

Would Durham city also include the hospital? If so then Ward 6 is doing a valiant job of increasing the numbers just by itself.
Was wondering about Durham in general

There's the uni issue. Which goes way beyond covid and has plunged itself into debates on class, racism, sexism

Then there was the Councillor who attended a protest and denied covid existed
And growing numbers attending lock down protests despite the massive infection rate surrounding them

Then having the worst death rate in the country in care homes

Letting Dom off his council tax. Which is a separate issue really

Videos of people dancing outside greggs and other assorted venues in large groups
Videos of people gathering outside a lidl (ffs) to shout at staff

Have they all gone completely mad?

Am glad I left the place. Makes my present town in Teesside look positively sane, clean, orderly and well managed. Which just isn't possible unless someone's gassed Durham City with crazy gas

Just one consideration for Universities, students in many places have access to onsite testing and some have said students are using tests almost like a morning after pill from a pub/party night. So, testing is generally higher in students than elsewhere.

The covid swab test is said to be 70% accurate, so 30% of actual cases are not detected. Looking at the false positive rate, The Lancet say between 0.8% and 4%.

Say you have 20,000 students like Durham and a third of students get tested every week. (10 week term, that is roughly 3 tests each per term, which dies not sound unrealistic), that is 6,666 tests per week. Split the false positive half way and say 2.4% rate, that gives 160 false positives per week, potentially.

Not for these purposes.

Your postcode assigns you to a census output area. Census output areas (OA) fit inside lower-layer super output areas (LSOA), which in turn, fit inside middle-layer super output areas (MSOA)

The public-facing COVID data on small areas, like the above, are done at MSOA level.

The given postcode for any person being tested is - theoretically - where they're matched to, but of course people do give the wrong postcodes sometimes.

So if someone from Sunderland had a test in County Durham, it would not count towards County Durham's figures, nor would a hospital inpatient unduly inflate the rate for whichever MSOA UHND is in, because it would be assigned to the patient's home postcode.

Complications do arise for those with no fixed above, in temporary accommodation etc.
Logon or register to see this image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back