Durham to play at Darlington

Apparently, according to the Cricketer, they tried to allocate one of the RL50 games to Sedburgh school but it wasn't feasible outside school term. It really is a beautiful ground with the stunning backdrop of the Howgill Fells. I'd return in a shot if they ever revisit, particularly for a CC game.I've no objection to outgrounds even outside the county boundary providing they're attractive and easily accessible.

Apparently, according to the Cricketer, they tried to allocate one of the RL50 games to Sedburgh school but it wasn't feasible outside school term. It really is a beautiful ground with the stunning backdrop of the Howgill Fells. I'd return in a shot if they ever revisit, particularly for a CC game.I've no objection to outgrounds even outside the county boundary providing they're attractive and easily accessible.

And 3 miles less from CLS to Sedbergh than it is to Scarborough.:D

They wanted Durham to play a home game at Sedburgh??

Sedbergh's nearly two hours to get to man. I can understand it better for Lancs, where its just 10 mins off the m6

Sedbergh's nearly two hours to get to man. I can understand it better for Lancs, where its just 10 mins off the m6
True but journey time is dependant on where you live in Durham. South Shields to Darlington is about the same distance as, say, Barnard Castle is to Sedburgh.35-40miles.
Certainly an argument for taking the game to attractive venues in Cumbria to attract a wider audience imo.
After all, Chester-le-Street in inaccessible to many without their own transport for evening games. Each to his own, though.

Castle

Great times at Feethams in the early days.
Taylors Pies...the chippy on the way to the station....Jesus of Middlesbrough...beating Kent in the dark in 1997 with Boon bowling spin to give us our first CC win since 1995.

Cant wait.
Jesus of Middlesbrough, I was just thinking of him the other day it must be getting onto 20 years since Tony passed away.

One of my first City away games was at Feethams then went to that massive white elephant they built (is that still there?) the season we got promoted from Division 3. Good times. Never been to the cricket ground though

Hey @brandon, is that you making comments on the ESPN Cricinfo commentary or has someone nicked your nom de plume?

Not guilty, your honour.
Wish they'd play at Ashbrooke tbh. I'm pretty sure it's where Durham held their first ever game of some sort.

It’s a lovely ground but I believe it was deemed unfit for first class cricket some time ago - not sure how easy it would be to upgrade it. Or if the appetite would be there.

Last edited:
Not guilty, your honour.

It’s a lovely ground but I believe it was deemed unfit for first class cricket some time ago - not sure how easy it would be to upgrade it. Or if the appetite would be there.

The greatest portion of support for Durham CCC comes from Sunderland. It would be nice for the club to recognise that. And the council too.

Back