Durham to play at Darlington

Durham ban flags with football references don’t they? Although a big Jarrow FC (iirc) one got into the T20 QF against Sussex a couple of years ago.

not heard that one before. besides the point, I remain convinced these people don't regularly watch Durham. You would notice a regular "he's the bloke who goes all over watching england". Last fan i knew of who fit that bill was George Summerside.

Last edited:

not heard that one before. besides the point, I remain convinced these people don't regularly watch Durham. You would notice a regular "he's the bloke who goes all over watching england". Last fan i knew of who fit that bill was George Summerside.

I don’t know many of the people with DCCC emblems on their flags and you might be right re their attendance but I suppose the badges being on TV abroad is still a good thing. The FTECB flag that was behind Crawley’s catch was class.

Have Durham ever thought about a game at Ashbrooke even a low key friendly of some sort? I'm far from knowledgeable about the game so don't even know if Ashbrooke could be used?

Have Durham ever thought about a game at Ashbrooke even a low key friendly of some sort? I'm far from knowledgeable about the game so don't even know if Ashbrooke could be used?
Seem to recall they did play a low key friendly there some years ago it but it'd be a no no nowadays with a row of houses along the boundary edge. It was the preferred location when we gained 1st class status but was discarded for a number of reasons.

Essex ultimately lost a County Championship when they were deducted points for a sub-standard pitch at Southchurch Park in Southend. The club's appeal, that it is a council owned pitch, who decided to use their own groundsmen instead of the club's that was offered, fell on deaf ears.

Counties (apart from Somerset until a couple of months ago) can't take that risk, which is why I feel it may have been a consideration for Ashbrooke (albeit a small one) among other factors. Lovely ground, mind.

Just to chip in I sit with a couple from Berwick, a bloke from Battle Hill nr Wallsend and a bloke from Backworth. Couple of other regulars one from Gateshead and another from up near Consett.
You might want to consider changing your seat :). I'm trying to avoid the bunch of loud pig ignorant Mags that sit in the middle of the Members Terrace .... Swap ya?

I'm sure Tyne Tees broadcast it as well.

I remember it may have been this game or one of those Callers One Day games at Jesmond but when Mike Gatting was batting all you could on the telly was some wag in the crowd bellowing, "GATT. FAT TWAT!!" :lol:
You might want to consider changing your seat :). I'm trying to avoid the bunch of loud pig ignorant Mags that sit in the middle of the Members Terrace .... Swap ya?

Some of them who sit in the Members Balcony are a race apart. Need the Deckchair Casuals to teach them a lesson again.:lol:

Last edited:
Saw durham lose to Leicestershire around 1998 or 9 down Darlington. Eric gates was there in the guy gilly and gatesy era of commentary for safc.

we lost about 8 wickets in an hour or so just before and after lunch. Phil Simmons was in the leicester team with Alan mullaly

red hot day and ended up paralytic and to this day I don’t know how I got to Newcastle central station and then back to Chester le street on the train from Darlington

Saw durham lose to Leicestershire around 1998 or 9 down Darlington. Eric gates was there in the guy gilly and gatesy era of commentary for safc.

we lost about 8 wickets in an hour or so just before and after lunch. Phil Simmons was in the leicester team with Alan mullaly

red hot day and ended up paralytic and to this day I don’t know how I got to Newcastle central station and then back to Chester le street on the train from Darlington

I can remember seeing Gatesy down there at that game.

Leics didnt just used to beat us in the 1990s they used to thrash us!:eek:

I seem to remember going there to watch Durham about 2009/2010 for a friendly, can’t remember much about it though

Back