Durham to play at Darlington

Status
Not open for further replies.

The greatest portion of support for Durham CCC comes from Sunderland. It would be nice for the club to recognise that. And the council too.

Pretty bold statement. One which I think probably isn’t true.

I would like to see Durham play at Sunderland mind, but as I said, it doesn’t appear possible or likely anytime soon.

Pretty bold statement. One which I think probably isn’t true.

I would like to see Durham play at Sunderland mind, but as I said, it doesn’t appear possible or likely anytime soon.

Do you see the number of Sunderland flags that follow England? We're all Durham fans too. To a man.

Do you see the number of Sunderland flags that follow England? We're all Durham fans too. To a man.
Missing his point. Sunderland fans come from places like Wheatley Hill too.

I live in Sunderland (or at least Washy) CLS is easier than Sunderland CC.

Darlington is one of the better grounds in the county IMO and its great to have a game in the south of the county for a change.

Not guilty, your honour.

It’s a lovely ground but I believe it was deemed unfit for first class cricket some time ago - not sure how easy it would be to upgrade it. Or if the appetite would be there.
I didn't think it was you, but someone is using the Brandon handle on Cricinfo. They're nee way near as eloquent either :)

The greatest portion of support for Durham CCC comes from Sunderland. It would be nice for the club to recognise that. And the council too.
Never seen any figures to justify that and the 9:40 bus from Park Lane usually has the same 6-8 people every morning. The bus back after play finishes usually gets up to 20 from the ground. Also seems that more cars leaving the ground head off away from Sunderland too. If the SAFC London Branch is anything to go by, it's about 40% Sunderland and 60% outside. Then there's a bunch of Mags from their London Branch supporting Durham anarl .......

Never seen any figures to justify that and the 9:40 bus from Park Lane usually has the same 6-8 people every morning. The bus back after play finishes usually gets up to 20 from the ground. Also seems that more cars leaving the ground head off away from Sunderland too. If the SAFC London Branch is anything to go by, it's about 40% Sunderland and 60% outside. Then there's a bunch of Mags from their London Branch supporting Durham anarl .......
Just to chip in I sit with a couple from Berwick, a bloke from Battle Hill nr Wallsend and a bloke from Backworth. Couple of other regulars one from Gateshead and another from up near Consett.

Plenty from Hartlepool as well. Bold statement you make about Sunderland, one which I disagree with but hey ho. I'd like to see these football fans support Durham though as I don't see such flags at Durham games which is a shame

Spot on.
Never seen any figures to justify that and the 9:40 bus from Park Lane usually has the same 6-8 people every morning. The bus back after play finishes usually gets up to 20 from the ground.

And there's usually far more waiting for the bus to Stanley and Consett at the stop opposite than there is to Sunderland.
Just to chip in I sit with a couple from Berwick, a bloke from Battle Hill nr Wallsend and a bloke from Backworth. Couple of other regulars one from Gateshead and another from up near Consett.

As far as football supporting goes I usually sit with 3 Sunderland fans, 2 Mags and....2 St Mirren fans!:lol:

Last edited:
Pitch is f@@king awful these days - apart from that, it's a lovely ground.
You mean the outfield? Understandable given that it's a sports ground and it obviously takes a while for the grass to recover after the rugby season.

The wicket itself is probably in the top 3 in the region.

You mean the outfield? Understandable given that it's a sports ground and it obviously takes a while for the grass to recover after the rugby season.

The wicket itself is probably in the top 3 in the region.
Yep - the outfield was rank at the rugby stand end the last time I was there with the Juniors. Definitely wouldn't be good enough for a 1st class game. It was nearly as bad as South Shields - and these days that's saying something. Wicket was fine although it was a particularly wet day and it wasn't at it's best.

Based on what?
It sound like very few come from Sunderland.Durham CCC should play all home games at Chester le Street.Access to the ground is as good as anywhere in the county.Lets not forget the town’s facilities.

Last edited:
Some years back club did a membership survey which revealed a majority of members had a Sunderland(SR) postcode.
That could mean Peterlee to be fair. I even think Shotton Colliery is an SR postcode. Murton, Seaham and Easington also. Must admit regulars I know from over the years, very few are from Sunderland.

Plenty from Hartlepool as well. Bold statement you make about Sunderland, one which I disagree with but hey ho. I'd like to see these football fans support Durham though as I don't see such flags at Durham games which is a shame

Durham ban flags with football references don’t they? Although a big Jarrow FC (iirc) one got into the T20 QF against Sussex a couple of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back