DURHAM PROMOTED

We look strong next season with Ackerman coming in, where will he play?

I'd say the key to next year is the availability of Potts

he is as good as it comes in the CC. Think our batting looks strong, BDL is diff gravy, Ben Raine will take wickets in any league, in any format

I'd say getting good cover/competition for Potts is absolute key

Carse is a bonus, is quick and will play the odd game when fit.

This 100%, brilliantly put.

Hopefully there'll be an opportunity for a small celebration at the Leicester match.
As he will presumably be there, suggest Matt Salisbury be invited to the party in view of his undoubted contribution to the promotion! Just a shame he seems to have picked up an injury today. Didn’t appear on the field after tea.

he is as good as it comes in the CC. Think our batting looks strong, BDL is diff gravy, Ben Raine will take wickets in any league, in any format

I still think our fast bowling is thin. We might not have Carse, no Coggers and Potts might be called up.

The young'uns, Stan and Olly, haven't shown much this season. Maybe next year is the year when they start to emerge.

However, listening to Campbell on the comms on the streams, it looks like they've been thinking about this. There is an opportunity to bring in an overseas and the option they're thinking about is a fast bowler. So, we'll see and fingers crossed.

As he will presumably be there, suggest Matt Salisbury be invited to the party in view of his undoubted contribution to the promotion! Just a shame he seems to have picked up an injury today. Didn’t appear on the field after tea.
He might have had too many celebratory drinks in the tea break!😆

I imagine Ackermann will be captaining us in white ball cricket next season.

As far as red ball cricket is concerned the only two places in the top seven that look iffy are Jones and Borthwick and the latter's captaincy has been excellent this season so who knows...perhaps Campbell might have Ackermann opening with Lees?

Top seven stays the same, Ackerman will cover international absences.

The young fast bowling group will be a year older, but it's a slight worry that they haven't progressed. So then Raine, Parky plus two seamers make up the team. I'd say Bushnell deserves a go, with an overseas.

Remember we aren't playing any red ball cricket for two f*cking months in the middle of summer.

The young fast bowling group will be a year older, but it's a slight worry that they haven't progressed. So then Raine, Parky plus two seamers make up the team. I'd say Bushnell deserves a go, with an overseas.

Remember we aren't playing any red ball cricket for two f*cking months in the middle of summer.
Killeen imo is the most likely to progress from the young seamers but he has had an injury hit season with Robinson, Darwood and Hogg a bit down the line on the conveyor belt. Don't think either Gibson or Macalinden have the character to progress but both DeLeede and Bushnell have the potential to be top all-rounders.

Expect a load of “band wagon”hoppers next season … Mags!
At least they'll know the words to the club anthem.
Killeen imo is the most likely to progress from the young seamers but he has had an injury hit season with Robinson, Darwood and Hogg a bit down the line on the conveyor belt. Don't think either Gibson or Macalinden have the character to progress but both DeLeede and Bushnell have the potential to be top all-rounders.
Mitch's season was pretty much ruined through injury. Hopefully all of them will come back a year older and stronger, but apart from Bushnell, none of them made much first team impact this year. Shame.

Last edited:
I imagine Ackermann will be captaining us in white ball cricket next season.

As far as red ball cricket is concerned the only two places in the top seven that look iffy are Jones and Borthwick and the latter's captaincy has been excellent this season so who knows...perhaps Campbell might have Ackermann opening with Lees?

Yeah jones has been hit n miss

Originally when he signed the talk was Beds was being eased out, has that died down?

Borthwick has captained brilliantly for me and deserves his spot. Even if he isn’t the batsman he was

Bushnell, even though not frontline bowler, has progressed the most for me

I’ve seen some 2nd team stuff and I agree with you nobody has kicked on, disappointing, not really sure where the blame lies as they look decent prospects
I still think our fast bowling is thin. We might not have Carse, no Coggers and Potts might be called up.

The young'uns, Stan and Olly, haven't shown much this season. Maybe next year is the year when they start to emerge.

However, listening to Campbell on the comms on the streams, it looks like they've been thinking about this. There is an opportunity to bring in an overseas and the option they're thinking about is a fast bowler. So, we'll see and fingers crossed.

That’s fair

As I say I think Potts being available and fit as much has he has, has been transformative

Take him out and there isn’t much there.

We need a quality bowler, div 1 quality. Easier said than done but maybe we can do it like we did with the spin bowlers this year, which worked out brilliantly

We have parky 2 now so we don’t need loans you would think

Last edited:
Yeah jones has been hit n miss

Originally when he signed the talk was Beds was being eased out, has that died down?

Borthwick has captained brilliantly for me and deserves his spot. Even if he isn’t the batsman he was

Bushnell, even though not frontline bowler, has progressed the most for me

I’ve seen some 2nd team stuff and I agree with you nobody has kicked on, disappointing, not really sure where the blame lies as they look decent prospects

That’s fair

As I say I think Potts being available and fit as much has he has, has been transformative

Take him out and there isn’t much there.

We need a quality bowler, div 1 quality. Easier said than done but maybe we can do it like we did with the spin bowlers this year, which worked out brilliantly

We have parky 2 now so we don’t need loans you would think
Id sign overseas fast bowler and look around for another as well

I recall the similar one at the first home game against Notts in 2017 which was on display for the first couple of days. Imagine how long it would be allowed to be up nowadays?🤔
Would be taken down straight away. Stewards were straight over checking my flag when it first got put up. They indicated to me they have been briefed to make sure nothing is offensive on them

GET IN! Huge credit to Ryan Campbell for changing the way we play. Was never going to be easy after years of Franklin mismanagement.

I stated in my initial post that I think we should remember all those who went before for their positive contributions. We were in a difficult place in 2016 and the road to where we now find ourselves was a very difficult one to tread - Franklin had to go when he did, I don’t think anyone on here disagreed with that when it came, but I don’t think this thread is the place to settle old scores. He did do a lot of good in amongst what ultimately ended in failure, but don’t take my words for it, take those of Cambell himself on last nights Look North when he said "I took over a pretty good squad, a lot of hard work has gone into this team for a long time now, I came at the right time,"

A little bit like Geoff Cook’s team in 2008 bearing the fruits of Martyn Moxon’s labour.
Franklin was far far worse. Hey ho he's history now and ruining other teams, we've had a good year and the players are now happy.

See above ;).
He was no worse and probably a bit better than Lewis. Campbell has shown them both up like.

County Championship Winning Coach… #justsayinglike.
I'll second that - positively Dobell-esque.:D

You’re too kind :oops:

If anyone from the print media is after a Durham correspondent, my inbox is empty 🥴
I was a bit perplexed by the female commentator saying Ollie Robinson was quicker than Potts like.

That’s just ridiculous.
Did they have a B team?

Righto fatha :rolleyes:
I noticed another story about Durham which I'couldn't read because I'm not subscribed. But the short summary was "County’s remarkable rise from sixth place in Division Two in 2022 to runaway leaders has been down to a Bazball-type approach inspired by their Australian head coach".

I don't think that's right.
For a start there's been quite a big turnover of players with a few leaving and better ones arriving.
The bazball we've been playing has been on flat pitches, unusual for Durham and with very good slow bowling support.
Borthwick has become an effective captain.

Just saying it's more that just 'bazball', that's too simplistic as there are several factors. Having said that, without doubt, one of the main reasons for success is the arrival and impact of Campbell.

I’d just put down to the sort of lazy county cricket journalism that we have to endure these days.

It’s in moments like this that I realise just how massive a miss Tim Wellock is to local sports journalism.

Last edited:

Back