Durham players abroad this winter

Bushnell made his debut for Scarborough C. C. In Perth grade cricket this weekend. He batted at 6 and made 10. Interesting he opened the bowling taking a wicket. The match continues next Saturday.

Crawshaw at the same club this winter but didn't play this weekend.
Nothing unusual about Bushnell bowling. He was always an excellent bowler in his youth - fast and took wickets. No idea why Durham dont make more of his bowling TBH.

Nothing unusual about Bushnell bowling. He was always an excellent bowler in his youth - fast and took wickets. No idea why Durham dont make more of his bowling TBH.
Haven't seen much of his bowling but looking at scorecards doesnt appear to bowl a great deal for any Durham Xl in any form of the game. But opening in 1st grade cricket is a decent effort i will be interested to see how he does with the ball this winter.

Haven't seen much of his bowling but looking at scorecards doesnt appear to bowl a great deal for any Durham Xl in any form of the game. But opening in 1st grade cricket is a decent effort i will be interested to see how he does with the ball this winter.
In junior cricket for Durham City he bowled all the time - in fact opened. For some reason at County level they relied solely on his batting and ironically I opened the bowling up to U15's, sometimes with a spinner at the other end. We all had our own roles within the side and Jonny's was as a batsman, usually number 3.

But having grown up playing alongside or against Jonny he is a very good pace bowler and I was always mystified why he never bowled more.

In junior cricket for Durham City he bowled all the time - in fact opened. For some reason at County level they relied solely on his batting and ironically I opened the bowling up to U15's, sometimes with a spinner at the other end. We all had our own roles within the side and Jonny's was as a batsman, usually number 3.

But having grown up playing alongside or against Jonny he is a very good pace bowler and I was always mystified why he never bowled more.
I believe it was down to the same reason Burnham wasn’t allowed too. If Bushnall is allowed to bowl and taking wickets then he’d play more first team cricket. Meaning better contract etc. if he’s only allowed to bat.. if he’s not scoring as many runs then he won’t get picked as much.
That was Franklin and Norths idea behind Burnham so would imagine it’s the exact same to Bushnall

I believe it was down to the same reason Burnham wasn’t allowed too. If Bushnall is allowed to bowl and taking wickets then he’d play more first team cricket. Meaning better contract etc. if he’s only allowed to bat.. if he’s not scoring as many runs then he won’t get picked as much.
That was Franklin and Norths idea behind Burnham so would imagine it’s the exact same to Bushnall
This is absolute nonsense ! Are you saying that the Durham Coaches are NOT PLAYING/NOT BOWLING Bushnell in case he gets wickets and then have to pay him more money ?
At 21 they see him as a potential "first class" batsman. They do not see him as a potential bowler at first class level. That may change as he gets older and stronger.
Ben Raine was seen by Durham as an opening batter and rarely bowled him. This was not because they would have to pay him more money.
He got released and joined Leicestershire and he started to bowl in the 2nd team.
Look at him now. He is a bowler at first class level and bats 8 or 9.
Chris Rusworth, according to John Windows, got picked for North of England, at 15, as a batter. Look at him now, bats 11 and takes loads of wickets.

This is absolute nonsense ! Are you saying that the Durham Coaches are NOT PLAYING/NOT BOWLING Bushnell in case he gets wickets and then have to pay him more money ?
At 21 they see him as a potential "first class" batsman. They do not see him as a potential bowler at first class level. That may change as he gets older and stronger.
Ben Raine was seen by Durham as an opening batter and rarely bowled him. This was not because they would have to pay him more money.
He got released and joined Leicestershire and he started to bowl in the 2nd team.
Look at him now. He is a bowler at first class level and bats 8 or 9.
Chris Rusworth, according to John Windows, got picked for North of England, at 15, as a batter. Look at him now, bats 11 and takes loads of wickets.
I’m saying this was the case for Burnham. They’re both very similar players so what other reason is there to not letting him bowl? Please give me some

I’m saying this was the case for Burnham. They’re both very similar players so what other reason is there to not letting him bowl? Please give me some
Back stress fractures where Burnhams problem. Had two separate ones during his academy days and then suffered from back stiffness when on the pro staff.
At 17 he looked an outstanding prospect as an all rounder.

I have already given the only reason that matters. At this time he is not considered to be a "first class" bowler. This could change as he develops.
We have some bowlers who are seen as potential first team bowlers in Gibson, McAlindon and possibly Killeen.
How often does Bushnell bowl in the 2nds ? Not very often. The coaches are pushing his batting at the moment where he has great potential.
He will get opportunities to bat at first team level next season as we have lost Eckersley and Dickson.
And no Maddinson !!

Last edited:
I have already given the only reason that matters. At this time he is not considered to be a "first class" bowler. This could change as he develops.
We have some bowlers who are seen as potential first team bowlers in Gibson, McAlindon and possibly Killeen.
How often does Bushnell bowl in the 2nds ? Not very often. The coaches are pushing his batting at the moment where he has great potential.
He will get opportunities to bat at first team level next season as we have lost Eckersley and Dickson.
And no Maddinson !!
Is that because he wasn’t allowed to bowl for the past couple of seasons?
From what I’ve seen of Bushnall, he’s a hell of a better bowler than Killeen so I’d say he’s deffo more of a first class bowler than him. However I think you’ll also see players can get picked for batting who can offer something with the ball too. Bushnall could win you a game with the bat and could make a serious effort with the ball too. Just like McAlindon. Gibson is an average bowler not ready at all for first class cricket and offers nothing with the bat from what I’ve seen.
I feel Durham should’ve used Bushnall as a stokes role in the past. Play mainly to bat and use the bowling in short spells to try break up a partnerships.
Obviously this is my opinion but I think they’ve handled it wrong and hope it will all get sorted as he is as capable bowler as most of the players in that small squad we have left now

Is that because he wasn’t allowed to bowl for the past couple of seasons?
From what I’ve seen of Bushnall, he’s a hell of a better bowler than Killeen so I’d say he’s deffo more of a first class bowler than him. However I think you’ll also see players can get picked for batting who can offer something with the ball too. Bushnall could win you a game with the bat and could make a serious effort with the ball too. Just like McAlindon. Gibson is an average bowler not ready at all for first class cricket and offers nothing with the bat from what I’ve seen.
I feel Durham should’ve used Bushnall as a stokes role in the past. Play mainly to bat and use the bowling in short spells to try break up a partnerships.
Obviously this is my opinion but I think they’ve handled it wrong and hope it will all get sorted as he is as capable bowler as most of the players in that small squad we have left now
You certainly fancy Bushnells bowling let see how he gets on this winter.

He’s got pace & is pretty tall so will generate some bounce. So what’s there not to fancy? Not like we’ve a long line of bowlers queueing up right now
As i said at the start of the thread i have watched very little of him bowling. In the past i would go to academy and 2XI cricket but thats not so easy these days.
I genuinely hope you are right.

As i said at the start of the thread i have watched very little of him bowling. In the past i would go to academy and 2XI cricket but thats not so easy these days.
I genuinely hope you are right.
from when I saw him playing for Sacriston he always looked good pace. He then one year was told he wasn’t allowed to bowl which was always strange because he’s good at all formats so no clue why he’d be limited. He looks like he’s developing into a very handy cricketer so hopefully Durham can keep hold of him by giving him plenty of opportunities next season
I also guess Doneathy is staying in sunny Durham this winter to work on his fitness as I see he’s signed a new contract today & was a real shame he wasn’t allowed to play this season due to standards

from when I saw him playing for Sacriston he always looked good pace. He then one year was told he wasn’t allowed to bowl which was always strange because he’s good at all formats so no clue why he’d be limited. He looks like he’s developing into a very handy cricketer so hopefully Durham can keep hold of him by giving him plenty of opportunities next season
I also guess Doneathy is staying in sunny Durham this winter to work on his fitness as I see he’s signed a new contract today & was a real shame he wasn’t allowed to play this season due to standards
Yes 6 players on development contracts for next season thats possibly a third of our pro squad if you don't count Stokes and Wood.
Opportunities for all i suppose that must mean both Bushnell and Gibson have got full deals.

Tinfoil hat award of the day right here.

Bushnell didn't bowl for a few years as they rated his batting incredibly highly, so didn't want to risk injury by bowling much. Stupid IMO as his bowling offers a lot. Was nothing to do with contracts.

Back