Durham New Contracts

Relevant BWT averages for Durham, all had 8 inns

Lees 386 at 48.2
Harte 250 at 41.6
Bedingham 253 at 31.6
Add Bancroft, Behardien and Borthwick and you have the top 6 for the beginning of next season.

If you look at the 2008 and 2009 sides DiVo, Benks and the overseas (Shiv, McKenzie etc) scored about 60-70% of the runs. There's only really Will Smith's (import from Notts) golden summer of 2008 who was a reliable bat. Typically in that side you would only have one or sometimes two of Kyle Coetzer, Muchall and Harmison Jnr from the academy in the top 6.

Kiwi Paul Wiseman was the spinner, replaced by Blackwell from Somerset with Gaz Breese filling in. Aussies Thorp and Claydon were regulars in the seam attack.

So the majority of the side were imports, not hearing many people complaining about that side though.

What about last time we won the county championship just a few years ago??

and I’m not sure I get your point

We aren’t signing places for to lace their shoelaces

That’s the whole point being made

re: Dickson. Maybe don't be so harsh and watch for next season. Maybe he just didn't adjust to a new setup and pitch straight away, some very good players have come to Durham and not adjusted. For all we know Borthwick will have a tough time in his first set of matches but we'll still know he's capable.

Relevant BWT averages for Durham, all had 8 inns

Lees 386 at 48.2
Harte 250 at 41.6
Bedingham 253 at 31.6
Add Bancroft, Behardien and Borthwick and you have the top 6 for the beginning of next season.
You missed out Raine 124 at 41.33 and he bats at 10 !

I must say that I am disappointed in the recent trend by DCCC in bringing in average Kolpaks. I know that our golden years were littered with Kolpak imports also, but these were international cricketers who offered a lot to the club and were no doubt invaluable in the dressing room, helping bring on young talent. I'm not so sure our more recent acquisitions will offer anywhere near as much and seem to be more of the journeyman type of signing we have criticised other counties for, at the expense of their own local talent.

I must say that I am disappointed in the recent trend by DCCC in bringing in average Kolpaks. I know that our golden years were littered with Kolpak imports also, but these were international cricketers who offered a lot to the club and were no doubt invaluable in the dressing room, helping bring on young talent. I'm not so sure our more recent acquisitions will offer anywhere near as much and seem to be more of the journeyman type of signing we have criticised other counties for, at the expense of their own local talent.

100% agree

People pointing out MDV and Benk like it has relevance are totally missing the point

If we signed them then absolutely get them in

But we aren’t, journeyman players who I don’t think will aid any young talents coming through

I’ve nothing against them personally but it’s not for me

I've submitted much the same concern to be addressed at Thursday's members' forum asking if this is now the changed policy. That'll be me of their Christmas card list😀

You daft bugger :lol:

Durham can’t afford him anyway, plus the tracks at Brandon are far better than down by the Riverside ;)

They don’t have to be ‘international cricketers’ though, they just have to be good enough to improve the team - because at present, we aren’t very good.

We do have potential though.

Aside from Dickson, all the other foreign lads did pretty well for us, see the figures a bit further up which @Parkside posted.

Last edited:
The trouble with 'International' crickers is that when their country comes calling they're off! e.g. Bancroft. Not an insult it's what you'd expect. The ideal surely in International class who can't get into the team - Saffers have the quota system to contend with.

re: Dickson. Maybe don't be so harsh and watch for next season. Maybe he just didn't adjust to a new setup and pitch straight away, some very good players have come to Durham and not adjusted. For all we know Borthwick will have a tough time in his first set of matches but we'll still know he's capable.

If bancroft rejoins then there's not much chance dickson plays alot barring injuries as he'll have lees & borthwick ahead of him at 1 & 3. it's quite surprising how long a contract we gave him in hindsight

I can't remember where I read it on here but someone suggested the club were concerned about Bancroft's form, he scored 46 and 72 for Western Australia in their first Sheffield Shield match.

I can't remember where I read it on here but someone suggested the club were concerned about Bancroft's form, he scored 46 and 72 for Western Australia in their first Sheffield Shield match.
Good stuff, was reading the coaches comments before the match that he had been working hard on his game to stop getting strangled down the legside

Interesting, just been told that Bishop Auckland have signed one of the released players as a player/coach for next season

Back