Durham New Contracts

Tongey

Winger

Durham Cricket are delighted to confirm a number of players have committed their futures to the club by agreeing new deals ahead of the 2021 season.

Chris Rushworth, Brydon Carse, Alex Lees, Matthew Potts, Gareth Harte, David Bedingham and Matt Salisbury have all put pen to paper on new deals at Emirates Riverside. With Michael Jones, Jack Campbell and Oli Gibson agreeing new rookie deals.

Alongside the signing of Scott Borthwick and the return of Paul Coughlin and Ben Raine to their home club, further contract extensions come at a positive time as Durham Cricket look to further develop a core group of players, as we look to move forward for more success.

The signings ensure four of Durham’s key bowlers have extended deals beyond next season ensuring Durham have a strong pace attack for the foreseeable future.

The extensions of key batsman: Alex Lees, David Bedingham and Gareth Harte alongside the return of Borthwick further strengthen Durham’s batting line up for the 2021 season.

The club can also confirm that four members of the playing staff will leave the club when their contracts expire at the end of this month.

Nathan Rimmington joined the club in 2018, featuring across all three formats in his three-year spell in the north east. His white ball record saw him named T20 captain for 2020 and was an important member of Durham’s red ball squad in 2019.

Scott Steel will also leave the club having declined a contract extension, while Josh Coughlin and Sol Bell will depart from Durham.

Marcus North, director of cricket said:As a Club we are very happy that this group of players have committed their future to Durham Cricket. We have been working extremely hard over the past 18 months in developing a squad that will ultimately see consistent performances that enables us to compete and have success in all competitions.”

“We feel that this commitment from these players following the announcement of Scott Borthwick’s return is another big step in achieving our objectives.

“It is extremely disappointing that Scott Steel has decided to move on from Durham. Following our offer to extend Scott’s contract at Durham, we could not offer the guarantees he was ultimately looking for and this has resulted in him accepting a 3-year contract with another County. We wish Scott all the best for his future career.

“We would also like to wish Nathan Rimmington, Josh Coughlin, Sol Bell, Ben Whitehead and James Weighell the very best for their future careers and thank them for their commitment to Durham Cricket over the years.”

Surprised about Bell, thought there were high hopes for him (though I know nothing about him other than what I've seen on here)

Overall I think it's good news for Durham. Pleased with the players who have signed new deals especially Rushy who clearly has not been happy with not playing one day cricket but will now probably see out his career with Durham. Also Bedingham although he didn't score a shed load of runs and had a poor T20 I thought after Lees he was our best batsmen in the Bob Willis Trophy.
Pity about Scott Steel but as has been suggested on here by various posters during the season and even at the end of last season not all was perfect between the club and Scott.

Overall I think it's good news for Durham. Pleased with the players who have signed new deals especially Rushy who clearly has not been happy with not playing one day cricket but will now probably see out his career with Durham. Also Bedingham although he didn't score a shed load of runs and had a poor T20 I thought after Lees he was our best batsmen in the Bob Willis Trophy.
Pity about Scott Steel but as has been suggested on here by various posters during the season and even at the end of last season not all was perfect between the club and Scott.
Yes,disappointed with Steel but there's no way we could justify the 3 year contract he's been offered elsewhere.
Bedingham did OK given his inexperience in what would have been alien conditions for him;confident he'll adjust.
Presumably Clark and Poytner seeing out the remainder of their contracts. All that remains now is news that Bancroft is returning.

Looked like the writing was on the wall about Steel but am a little suprised about Bell as one innings in the rain affected last game of the 2019 season at home to Glamorgan hardly represents a fair opportunity for the lad.

What guarantees was Steel after then I wonder?

Would have retained Weighall over Salisbury and surprised that Bell has gone, but other than that it's great news.

Yes,disappointed with Steel but there's no way we could justify the 3 year contract he's been offered elsewhere.
Bedingham did OK given his inexperience in what would have been alien conditions for him;confident he'll adjust.
Presumably Clark and Poytner seeing out the remainder of their contracts. All that remains now is news that Bancroft is returning.

think he could have got a bigger go to see if he was worth of a longer contract but it is what it is.
What guarantees was Steel after then I wonder?

Would have retained Weighall over Salisbury and surprised that Bell has gone, but other than that it's great news.

i think with weighell it was injuries that did for him. his numbers are pretty decent average of 29 with the ball and mid 20s with the bat off the top of my head. something like that. i'm maybe a little bit surprised salisbury was retained, i'd have played him a bit more this year than he was, i think we needed a bit more experience alongside the likes of carse, potts and coughlin who often get absolutely carted
The club can also confirm that four members of the playing staff will leave the club when their contracts expire at the end of this month.

Nathan Rimmington joined the club in 2018....

glad to see the back of rimmington quite honestly. no fault of his own but he will always remind us of how we fucked up bunny's legacy here. offering him a one year deal because of his age then signing an older player on a two year deal was very very poor

Last edited:

Clark has another year left

Eh? Why has steel left? Really promising local lad, great t20 the year before last

What am I missing?

Exactly the type of player we should be keeping

Really disappointed

Eh? Why has steel left? Really promising local lad, great t20 the year before last

What am I missing?

Really disappointed
And not a great year this year (and oddly down the order) and according to @Parkside has a good offer elsewhere. I guess with where the club is at right now they didn't feel matching that offer was the right thing to do. It also sounds like something has gone on between him and the club so perhaps there's a breakdown in the relationship. Obviously we'll be miffed if he does well elsewhere but it happens.

Franklin on Bancroft situation
“There’s water to go under the bridge in terms of Bancroft’s return. As I understand it, he does have first refusal on next year. There’s no doubt when he was here he had a massive impact on the club – not only from a cricket point of view, but also a leadership standpoint when he was captain.

He brought a refreshing energy with him. Cameron will be starting his season soon in Australia so we’ll have to see what happens there.”

Franklin on Bancroft situation
There’s water to go under the bridge in terms of Bancroft’s return. As I understand it, he does have first refusal on next year. There’s no doubt when he was here he had a massive impact on the club – not only from a cricket point of view, but also a leadership standpoint when he was captain.

He brought a refreshing energy with him. Cameron will be starting his season soon in Australia so we’ll have to see what happens there.”

wonder wtf this is meant to mean?

What am I missing?

Really disappointed

I’m at risk of sounding like a broken record here but how much have we spewed on bang average Saffas... budget that could have been spent on a promising local that should be at the heart of what DCCC is about.

Always sad to see young players released but Durham have the worst reputation on the circuit over the years for dismissing young players without giving them a chance or other bad reasons but Sibley,Crawley,Haseeb,Lawrence were stuck with over time and all never really hit their straps till 22-23 & are now moving into the limelight......strange philosophy !
Get Durham it’s identity back somebody please...

Back