Durham Hall of Fame

There was a bloke at the Members' meeting three weeks ago who won a couple of tickets for this.

Imho....Geoff Cook nailed on.
Players - Simon Brown, Dean Jones, David Boon, Harmy and Benks for me.

Colly ruled out this year as he hasn't been retired over five years.:D

Ah well five out of six wasn't bad - Colly let in instead of Benks even though he hasn't been retired a full five years.😁

Think the " Hall of Fame" is a good idea..... but, Durham County Cricket Club was formed in 1882, not 1992.
All of those years as the top "Minor County". The first Minor County to beat a first class side(Yorkshire in 1973) and the first to beat a second first class side(Derbyshire 1984).
It looks like no one was considered from 101 years of Durham Cricket ?

Personally, think it's a good idea and something new so good on the club for trying something different! Sunderland didn't ask their season ticket holders who should be in the Hall of fame so I'm not offended.

I didnt even know sunderland had a hall of fame tbh

Think the " Hall of Fame" is a good idea..... but, Durham County Cricket Club was formed in 1882, not 1992.
All of those years as the top "Minor County". The first Minor County to beat a first class side(Yorkshire in 1973) and the first to beat a second first class side(Derbyshire 1984).
Great post can’t argue with those included but definitely should have been players/administers prior to 1992. Without the teams of 70 and 80s performances first class status would never have been awarded

And just to continue that theme Durham County Cricket Club no longer exist we're now just Durham Cricket. 🦁

Excellent evening! Two of the high points: Ryan Campbell's piece about going out to "win", very persuasive rallying cry to supporters and players (Don't be surprised if Durham make a big splash this season) and the stories about the Colonel's pre-game exploits when he was "a young Colonel".

glad the numbers reduced to 3, i know it was the first one last year so they made a thing of it, but you putting 5 or 6 every year your going to quickly run out

Yet again, no one selected from the first 110 years of Durham county cricket club.
The players that built the club to the position where the only way to develop/improve was to become "first class".
Yes Dean Jones was a marvellous player, but, he was the "pro" and was only here one season.
Durham, in Minor Counties, beat Yorkshire in 1973 and then beat Derbyshire in 1984. Some players played in both of those games, and not considered.

Yet again, no one selected from the first 110 years of Durham county cricket club.
The players that built the club to the position where the only way to develop/improve was to become "first class".
Yes Dean Jones was a marvellous player, but, he was the "pro" and was only here one season.
Durham, in Minor Counties, beat Yorkshire in 1973 and then beat Derbyshire in 1984. Some players played in both of those games, and not considered.
Steve Greensword immediately springs to mind.

It will come though don’t worry. It’s every year remember

I actually think they’re doing too many a year, should spread it out

I think it’s a brilliant idea and keep the current team connected to the previous eras

Amazing club

My granddads best mate played in that 73 match and I still have the bat. One of my prize possessions.

I do agree with your point though.

Last edited:

Must admit it’s all a bit ‘meh’ isn’t it 🤷‍♂️

I take your point, as many others do. I think that this is something worth raising with the powers that be.

I was fortunate enough to go to the event as I won tickets in the members draw at one of the meetings. Though I didn’t (obviously) pay, £55 for this type of event is reasonable I think. It was well organised and entertaining. The principle is a good one and it would be a pity if it was somehow downgraded in the eyes of members and supporters because our long history is not taken into account.

It had been my intention to drop a note of thanks to the staff member who organised my tickets, and I think I will raise this issue with them so they can pass on our thoughts to those in the club who make decisions on these things.

Last edited:
I take your point, as many others do. I think that this is something worth raising with the powers that be.

I was fortunate enough to go to the event as I won tickets in the members draw at one of the meetings. Though I didn’t (obviously) pay, £55 for this type of event is reasonable I think. It was well organised and entertaining. The principle is a good one and it would be a pity if it was somehow downgraded in the eyes of members and supporters because our long history is not taken into account.

It had been my intention to drop a note of thanks to the staff member who organised my tickets, and I think I will raise this issue with them so they can pass on our thoughts to those in the club who make decisions on these things.
Brian Hunt's "100 Years of Durham County Cricket" would provide an excellent source for this but the difficulty would be in selection as many of the players involved were so long before any of those selectors were born. It would have to be made purely on statistics which is far from ideal.Perhaps a one off honour's board would be the fairest solution based solely on highest number of caps,or highest aggregate runs or most wickets. Certainly the likes of Hardy, Young, Inglis, Greensword should be recognised.

Back