Durham Hall of Fame

:lol:

What point were you trying to make?

That sports coaches do good jobs and Cook clearly did a particular good job like lots of sports coaches.

But not sure sports coaches work tirelessly like in other industries and they’re normally get well paid to do that job.

For example I have made no secret I love Mccullum for the job he has done and think he is brilliant and has done brilliantly but he is well paid to do that job.

But would not say he worked tirelessly like doctors nurses etc

Last edited:
That sports coaches do good jobs and Cook clearly did a particular good job like lots of sports coaches.

But not sure sports coaches work tirelessly like in other industries and they’re normally get well paid to do that job.

For example I have made no secret I love Mccullum for the job he has done and think he is brilliant and has done brilliantly but he is well paid to do that job.

At domestic level coaches are poorly paid.
Cooks contribution has been outstanding at all levels throughout Durham's 1st class history.In the context of a coach's contribution he did work tirelessly. Your original post appeared to be questioning this.

At domestic level coaches are poorly paid.
Cooks contribution has been outstanding at all levels throughout Durham's 1st class history.In the context of a coach's contribution he did work tirelessly. Your original post appeared to be questioning this.

Maybe it’s been taken out of of context and bow to your greater knowledge.

Just not sure I like sports people who are doing a very good job but also very well paid been put on a further pedestal.

When they is ordinary folk doing ordinary jobs probably working a lot harder and more than sports coaches or players .

For example I have always hated the term in football ‘ a player or manager has been a great servant to that club’

Have they really been a great servant to that football club?

Or have they just done a good job over that period and also been well paid to do that job?

In most cases imo it’s the later.

Like I said on both posts the first one he did a good job and the second one that he clearly did a good job so it’s not as if I was crictising Cook in anyway quite the opposite in fact

Last edited:
Maybe it’s been taken out of of context and bow to your greater knowledge.

Just not sure I like sports people who are doing a very good job but also very well paid been put on a further pedestal.

When they is ordinary folk doing ordinary jobs probably working a lot harder and more than sports coaches or players .

For example I have always hated the term in football ‘ a player or manager has been a great servant to that club’

Have they really been a great servant to that football club?

Or have they just done a good job over that period and also been well paid to do that job?

In most cases imo it’s the later.

Like I said on both posts the first one he did a good job and the second one that he clearly did a good job so it’s not as if I was crictising Cook in anyway quite the opposite in fact
Yes, this hall of fame promotion is a bit artificial. As has a been suggested it appears to be an attempt to make some money - we must be really desperate!
Undoubtedly some have been great servants to their particular club and deserve to be remembered in perpetua. Problem is the media over egg the "great" concept.

Yes, this hall of fame promotion is a bit artificial. As has a been suggested it appears to be an attempt to make some money - we must be really desperate!
Undoubtedly some have been great servants to their particular club and deserve to be remembered in perpetua. Problem is the media over egg the "great" concept.

I think it’s right past success stories for a particular club should be recognized and undoubtedly Cook should be recognized for his achievements at Durham and deservedly soo.

But in general I am definitely of the belief that past sports players who have been very well paid should never be referred to as ‘great servants’

As really especially in football they not ‘great servants’ they just well paid to do a good job.

And if they have been at a football club for a long time, just means they have been well paid for a long time!!

I think it’s right past success stories for a particular club should be recognized and undoubtedly Cook should be recognized for his achievements at Durham and deservedly soo.

But in general I am definitely of the belief that past sports players who have been very well paid should never be referred to as ‘great servants’

As really especially in football they not ‘great servants’ they just well paid to do a good job.

And if they have been at a football club for a long time, just means they have been well paid for a long time!!

Some do the job better than others. And people who have worked at one place for a long time deserve recognition. This doesn't just happen in sport it happens in all forms of employment.

And look at Brian Clough. Took over an average (former) Division 2 side and turned them into European Champoins. Twice. I'm sure he achieved more than his paymasters at Forest expected of him.

This is how professional sport works. Some achieve more than others. This is why more people will remember Cloughy than Steve Cooper.

And this is why Geoff Cook deserves a place at Durham's top table. His work got us from minor County to winning the county championship.

To say that's what he's paid to do is technically correct but I doubt anyone else would have done it anywhere near as good as him.

Some do the job better than others. And people who have worked at one place for a long time deserve recognition. This doesn't just happen in sport it happens in all forms of employment.

And look at Brian Clough. Took over an average (former) Division 2 side and turned them into European Champoins. Twice. I'm sure he achieved more than his paymasters at Forest expected of him.

This is how professional sport works. Some achieve more than others. This is why more people will remember Cloughy than Steve Cooper.

And this is why Geoff Cook deserves a place at Durham's top table. His work got us from minor County to winning the county championship.

To say that's what he's paid to do is technically correct but I doubt anyone else would have done it anywhere near as good as him.

Great post mate totally agree

What an absolutely bizarre point to try and make. Did it not occur to you that it might have been said in the context of a cricket head coach rather than a doctor or nurse?!

What an absolutely bizarre point to try and make. Did it not occur to you that it might have been said in the context of a cricket head coach rather than a doctor or nurse?!

I think I explained my rationale and reasoning quite clear mate in that I believe sports people players and coaches and achievements should be rightly recognized.

But don’t really think sports coaches in general work tirelessly as opposed people who work in other industries.

I think I explained my rationale and reasoning quite clear mate in that I believe sports people players and coaches and achievements should be rightly recognized.

But don’t really think sports coaches in general work tirelessly as opposed people who work in other industries.

You obviously know nothing about Geoff Cook.

Geoff Cook, where do I start? We've been members nigh on 15 years now me and the wife and Durham Cricket Club for many years under the Cook era was like a family, we had such a good bond with the players and coaching staff it was first name terms with many of them and I credit Geoff Cook who instilled that community feel about Durham which is something the club have lost in more recent times.

Geoff would always stop for a chat, and many times it wasn't myself or my wife who would stop for the chat, it would be Geoff who always said hello.

He would turn up at local games of all ages to keep an eye on players all round the county. He was an exceptional coach and mentor to many people, not just the Durham 1st XI.

I have the utmost respect for Geoff Cook, his wife is also a wonderful lady and they played a huge part in me and my wife continuing to enjoy watching Durham through some exceptional times, times I'll never forget.

I would say without any doubt, Geoff Cook work tirelessly during his at Durham and still makes every effort to attend games.

Nobody mentioned other industries apart from you.

Back