Durham Cricket League

Supposedly players poached for cash according to one of the affected clubs. Naughty if true and league will hopefully investigate.
Why is it that it’s only members from new/recent teams to the league that seem to be twisting and attempting to cause unnecessary problems? If it’s not the league structure it’s money. Very mediocre players have been requesting money for years. If clubs are stupid enough to pay such players then they need to accept when things go tits up!

Why is it that it’s only members from new/recent teams to the league that seem to be twisting and attempting to cause unnecessary problems? If it’s not the league structure it’s money. Very mediocre players have been requesting money for years. If clubs are stupid enough to pay such players then they need to accept when things go tits up!
Not sure I understand New/recent teams or unessesary problems?
My club doesn't pay players, we couldn't afford to. The new league rules show no players can be paid in divisions 3 - 6. And only the registered professional in divisions 1 and 2. These rules also applied in the Durham cricket league. This is what every club has agreed to. So either play by them or get it out. Seems pretty simple to me.

My club doesn't pay players, we couldn't afford to. The new league rules show no players can be paid in divisions 3 - 6. And only the registered professional in divisions 1 and 2. These rules also applied in the Durham cricket league. This is what every club has agreed to. So either play by them or get it out. Seems pretty simple to me.
They may be the rules but anyone would be naive to believe they are all adhered to. It’s common knowledge that several teams in the divisions pay players who are NOT the registered professional.

I would guarantee at least 3 teams in Div 3 will be paying players. Its pretty impossible to stop or prove tbh. Some may be paying to keep the club foung often paid players bring others and while your competitive people also stick around. There is the other side to it which can kill a club too

I would guarantee at least 3 teams in Div 3 will be paying players. Its pretty impossible to stop or prove tbh. Some may be paying to keep the club foung often paid players bring others and while your competitive people also stick around. There is the other side to it which can kill a club too
Care to name them @eddyfinn? It’s the whole let’s move around all of the local clubs for £500 per season I was talking about.

They may be the rules but anyone would be naive to believe they are all adhered to. It’s common knowledge that several teams in the divisions pay players who are NOT the registered professional.
Not naive to it. But dont agree with it. And it's practically destroyed two clubs. Personally think it needs looking into. Others might disagree.

Care to name them @eddyfinn? It’s the whole let’s move around all of the local clubs for £500 per season I was talking about.
Nah I'll not name any club or any person, its up to the club at the end of the day and how they want to run it. A few will be on a good bit more than £500 mind but agree far too many out there picking up £500 for being pretty average or living on past glories.

What about a paid coach, who also happens to be a player ? That used to be a way round things for some clubs.

The whole 'paid players' thing is difficult to prove although it's blatantly obvious at some clubs

Nah I'll not name any club or any person, its up to the club at the end of the day and how they want to run it. A few will be on a good bit more than £500 mind but agree far too many out there picking up £500 for being pretty average or living on past glories.
Oh I fully agree! Just think of how many burgers that cou
How do you investigate stuff like this? Ask questions?
”Are you breaking league rules and more importantly, dodging the tax man?... no, ok then!” Investigation over.

Oh I fully agree! Just think of how many burgers that cou

”Are you breaking league rules and more importantly, dodging the tax man?... no, ok then!” Investigation over.
Exactly. Without people willing to grass and then testify in front of a committee - it pretty superficial...

Tudhoe relegated, in January. I imagine that's went down well...

Tudhoe weren’t relegated in Jan. They were relegated last season and will start in Division 2. They were inadvertently given a reprieve 1 week ago without due consideration for all of the facts/detail which was not clear at the time. With a review of the league’s decision they have been placed where they have been since last September bar 6 days. A decision which wasn’t taken lightly but was deemed to be in the best interests of cricket and the whole league as opposed to one team. The league exec will never please everyone and they’re not naive enough to think otherwise. But unfortunately on this occasion for the greater good of the whole league Tudhoe have been placed back in the division where they had been since September last year, 6 days after the wrong decision had been made by the exec, who held their hands up and admitted that.

So where the league will be vilified no doubt by those affiliated with Tudhoe, they have also been praised in other quarters by doing the right thing by the whole league structure. Like I say, never win, dammed if we do, dammed if we don’t.

What will also go unnoticed is the fact the league exec were forced into this situation by making amends to league composition in order to save clubs from going out of existence by amending divisional structure for Whiteleas and Kimblesworth.

Last edited:
Tudhoe weren’t relegated in Jan. They were relegated last season and will start in Division 2. They were inadvertently given a reprieve 1 week ago without due consideration for all of the facts/detail which was not clear at the time. With a review of the league’s decision they have been placed where they have been since last September bar 6 days. A decision which wasn’t taken lightly but was deemed to be in the best interests of cricket and the whole league as opposed to one team. The league exec will never please everyone and they’re not naive enough to think otherwise. But unfortunately on this occasion for the greater good of the whole league Tudhoe have been placed back in the division where they had been since September last year, 6 days after the wrong decision had been made by the exec, who held their hands up and admitted that.

So where the league will be vilified no doubt by those affiliated with Tudhoe, they have also been praised in other quarters by doing the right thing by the whole league structure. Like I say, never win, dammed if we do, dammed if we don’t.

What will also go unnoticed is the fact the league exec were forced into this situation by making amends to league composition in order to save clubs from going out of existence by amending divisional structure for Whiteleas and Kimblesworth.

Correct decision arrived at well done the committee

I find it really strange how a decision can be made a week ago and then changed. I gather further information that was given resulted in a change of decision. My only point would be that surely the facts should have been found out before the first decision was made??

I'm sure the right conclusion has been finally found but surely some massive lessons learnt for the league before a ball have even been bowled

Back