Durham Cricket League

Tudhoe weren’t relegated in Jan. They were relegated last season and will start in Division 2. They were inadvertently given a reprieve 1 week ago without due consideration for all of the facts/detail which was not clear at the time. With a review of the league’s decision they have been placed where they have been since last September bar 6 days. A decision which wasn’t taken lightly but was deemed to be in the best interests of cricket and the whole league as opposed to one team. The league exec will never please everyone and they’re not naive enough to think otherwise. But unfortunately on this occasion for the greater good of the whole league Tudhoe have been placed back in the division where they had been since September last year, 6 days after the wrong decision had been made by the exec, who held their hands up and admitted that.

So where the league will be vilified no doubt by those affiliated with Tudhoe, they have also been praised in other quarters by doing the right thing by the whole league structure. Like I say, never win, dammed if we do, dammed if we don’t.

What will also go unnoticed is the fact the league exec were forced into this situation by making amends to league composition in order to save clubs from going out of existence by amending divisional structure for Whiteleas and Kimblesworth.

Any sign of the fixtures?

So, just had a look at the fixtures since @Poolynorm alerted me to the fact they’d been released.

What’s the rationale behind the league changes? Clubs being promoted/relegated etc?
Its gone off 2019 league positions, personally think cup winners should have been considered for promotion, it was discussed at the agm meeting mind regarding which teams would be being asked and not one person commented, if I was one of those teams who won a cup I'd be asking your representative why they didn't question it.
I dont think anyone was relegated, I think only Easington went down to one team so they were put into the league where their 2nd team was to help their club rebuild

Last edited:
Its gone off 2019 league positions, personally think cup winners should have been considered for promotion, it was discussed at the agm meeting mind regarding which teams would be being asked and not one person commented, if I was one of those teams who won a cup I'd be asking your representative why they didn't question it.
I dont think anyone was relegated, I think only Easington went down to one team so they were put into the league where their 2nd team was to help their club rebuild

Thanks for the heads up mate, perhaps @ac arundez can shed further light on it? Just because Brandon 2’s beat Kimblesworth last year in their respective final yet Brandon stay in the bottom division whilst Kimmer have gone up - that’s just the one I noticed first with it being my club, no idea if there are others.

Seems odd that Brandon 1’s are in the top Division and Brandon 2’s the bottom. I’m not looking for an argument on this one, as I thoroughly enjoyed my cricket last year in the bottom tier and there were some excellent lads in opposition. I remember last year the reason for the positioning of teams was due to their performances from the season before - which I understand, but it appears there’s been no re-think in the case of Brandon.....?

I stick by my claim from last year though that Brandon 2’s would beat many sides in the (atleast) two divisions above.

Either way, got a really good crop of youngsters coming through who got a lot of cricket last year and were a big part of both First and Second XI’s success which will only bode well for their development long term. I’m one of the more senior members of the side now, so in the main I’m just glad to get my whites on and play a bit of cricket :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up mate, perhaps @ac arundez can shed further light on it? Just because Brandon 2’s beat Kimblesworth last year in their respective final yet Brandon stay in the bottom division whilst Kimmer have gone up - that’s just the one I noticed first with it being my club, no idea if there are others.

Seems odd that Brandon 1’s are in the top Division and Brandon 2’s the bottom. I’m not looking for an argument on this one, as I thoroughly enjoyed my cricket last year in the bottom tier and there were some excellent lads in opposition. I remember last year the reason for the positioning of teams was due to their performances from the season before - which I understand, but it appears there’s been no re-think in the case of Brandon.....?

I stick by my claim from last year though that Brandon 2’s would beat many sides in the (atleast) two divisions above.

Either way, got a really good crop of youngsters coming through who got a lot of cricket last year and were a big part of both First and Second XI’s success which will only bode well for their development long term. I’m one of the more senior members of the side now, so in the main I’m just glad to get my whites on and play a bit of cricket :)
I think initially for what would have been the 2020 season you were put into the correct league as everyone was aware of where finishing positions would put each individual team. However I think having won that cup last year you would have been better placed higher up, their is obviously the disadvantage you will have less competitive games but the advantage you could win the league back to back which could put you on a roll for years to come.

I think initially for what would have been the 2020 season you were put into the correct league as everyone was aware of where finishing positions would put each individual team. However I think having won that cup last year you would have been better placed higher up, their is obviously the disadvantage you will have less competitive games but the advantage you could win the league back to back which could put you on a roll for years to come.

Yeah, I said earlier I understood that - even if I didn’t agree with it (and I feel justified in what I was saying at the time ;)), but I’d be interested to now hear the rationale that promoted the losing finalists (and second in the division) yet the winning finalists (and winners of the division) remain in the lower Division.

Teams were invited by Alan Mustard to express interest in moving around due to a massive reshuffle (for various reasons), where there was a conflict (ie. 2 sides that expressed said interest and a resolution couldn’t be found) then it fell back to the league placings from 2019 as it had done for the upper divisions.

It was done extremely fairly in consultation with all impacted clubs and discussed at AGM. The Brandon situation was the trickiest one given their 2020 performance in the cup but had to be done fairly and not one rule for one one for another.

Hopefully less movement in future years but sadly I think the way the pandemic has impacted, it won’t be the last time we will see teams go down to one side or none at all. I have my concerns even for this season if rumours are to be believed about certain clubs. But we can’t keep going around the houses changing structures all the time and have cut off dates for that reason.

Teams were invited by Alan Mustard to express interest in moving around due to a massive reshuffle (for various reasons), where there was a conflict (ie. 2 sides that expressed said interest and a resolution couldn’t be found) then it fell back to the league placings from 2019 as it had done for the upper divisions.

It was done extremely fairly in consultation with all impacted clubs and discussed at AGM. The Brandon situation was the trickiest one given their 2020 performance in the cup but had to be done fairly and not one rule for one one for another.

Hopefully less movement in future years but sadly I think the way the pandemic has impacted, it won’t be the last time we will see teams go down to one side or none at all. I have my concerns even for this season if rumours are to be believed about certain clubs. But we can’t keep going around the houses changing structures all the time and have cut off dates for that reason.

Thanks for the clarification AC, is it possible to explain here in a little more detail the specific rationale in the situation I mentioned - the promoting of Kimblesworth over Brandon given their respective 2020 performances?
-

Edit - forget that @ac arundez, my apologies for the confusion on my part, I’ve seen now the structure from last year and I got it wrong regarding the initial division setup.

Again, thanks for taking the time to explain.

Last edited:

Back