Durham Cricket League

Who uses language like creepy by the way? As for speaking face to face I’ve nee idea who WHED is but I’m more than happy to not hide behind a keyboard and say whatever I type.

As for engaging, you certainly didn't on the merger page, I also know who you are from years ago on here, so I would’ve known if you’d engaged. If you have with your club rep then he/she certainly didn’t convey your concerns at any point during the merger process so if you did, I’d suggest taking it up with them but I’d expect you didn’t.
:rolleyes: This

I’ve got nothing else to add on it - let people make their own minds up, when you suggested meeting in public to discuss things I felt it started to get a bit creepy to be honest. Wasn’t WHED banned for that sort of thing?

How do you know I’m on Facebook? How do you know I didn’t engage? Or with my own clubs rep?

Are you saying those clubs HAVE showers, or they require them? Think an essential criteria should be HOT Showers personally.

Same goes for football clubs, but that’s for another forum obviously.
All those clubs have access to showers, only one which definitely dont is East Rainton, we dont have electric, so can oarrange a cold shower. Hot not so likely! Think they have them at Stanhope and Burnhope.

All those clubs have access to showers, only one which definitely dont is East Rainton, we dont have electric, so can oarrange a cold shower. Hot not so likely! Think they have them at Stanhope and Burnhope.

Why don’t you have electric?

Im sorry, but hot showers and electricity should be a minimum requirement at any sports facility.

Im sorry, but hot showers and electricity should be a minimum requirement at any sports facility.
You got £50,000 to spare! Cause we haven't. This is grassroots or village cricket.

I'm actually unsure if showers hot or otherwise were a DCL requirement either.

Last edited:
You got £50,000 to spare! Cause we haven't. This is grassroots or village cricket.

I'm actually unsure if showers hot or otherwise were a DCL requirement either.

Genuinely not trying to offend but saying it’s grassroots cricket isn’t an excuse for the fact that having electricity in a sports facility should be a basic requirement. It may event be a matter for the HSE or the Sports Grounds Safety Authority - especially when you consider juniors will be playing there regularly as part of either your team or the opposition. The laws and regulations are far more stringent when dealing with children.

Why would it cost £50k? What are you referring to? The electricity or the showers? I remember Evenwood getting pelters for having no electricity and to be frank, it’s ridiculous that a sporting establishment in 2020 hasn’t got electricity.
_______

Edit: most importantly, if you’ve got no electricity - where are the teas made and what’s on the menu? No cups of tea clearly?!

Last edited:
Genuinely not trying to offend but saying it’s grassroots cricket isn’t an excuse for the fact that having electricity in a sports facility should be a basic requirement. It may event be a matter for the HSE or the Sports Grounds Safety Authority - especially when you consider juniors will be playing there regularly as part of either your team or the opposition. The laws and regulations are far more stringent when dealing with children.

Why would it cost £50k? What are you referring to? The electricity or the showers? I remember Evenwood getting pelters for having no electricity and to be frank, it’s ridiculous that a sporting establishment in 2020 hasn’t got electricity.
_______

Edit: most importantly, if you’ve got no electricity - where are the teas made and what’s on the menu? No cups of tea clearly?!
£50,000 was a quote earlier this year to install an electricity supply to the site. Maybe if a few clubs donated their playing budgets for players they shouldn't be paying it could be sorted!

On a serious note, the club meets all current Health and safety legislation for what the club currently offers on site. All legal requirements. To suggest negligence is rude if nothing else.

£50,000 was a quote earlier this year to install an electricity supply to the site. Maybe if a few clubs donated their playing budgets for players they shouldn't be paying it could be sorted!

On a serious note, the club meets all current Health and safety legislation for what the club currently offers on site. All legal requirements. To suggest negligence is rude if nothing else.

My intention wasn’t to be rude or offend. So I’m sorry if that’s the way it came across.

I’m qualified to quite a high standard of H&S with regards construction/engineering - without going into more detailed nuts and bolts of it. So I suppose what I’m suggesting is that it’s quite difficult for me to understand that whilst other things which involve the public and children can be so ridiculously strict to (at times) over the top levels - sports venues can pass legislation with an absolute bare minimum of facilities.

Surely I’m not the only one who thinks a cricket club should at the very least have electricity?!

Mind you still didn’t answer the most important question: Teas?! ;)

My intention wasn’t to be rude or offend. So I’m sorry if that’s the way it came across.

I’m qualified to quite a high standard of H&S with regards construction/engineering - without going into more detailed nuts and bolts of it. So I suppose what I’m suggesting is that it’s quite difficult for me to understand that whilst other things which involve the public and children can be so ridiculously strict to (at times) over the top levels - sports venues can pass legislation with an absolute bare minimum of facilities.

Surely I’m not the only one who thinks a cricket club should at the very least have electricity?!

Mind you still didn’t answer the most important question: Teas?! ;)

Apologise for jumping to conclusions! I agree we should. But the astronomical cost of installing it is prohibitive.
We are currently researching either solar panels or a generator (the last one also presents a number of issues). But time will tell. It took the club til 1985 to get running water, we still have a well if that helps our stone age appearance (now blocked I might add).
I think a few on here can vouch for Raintons teas! So no issues there.

If they were my club and countless others around the country wouldn’t exist though. You don’t need electricity to play a game of cricket and while showers are massively preferential you don’t absolutely need them either.

Apologise for jumping to conclusions! I agree we should. But the astronomical cost of installing it is prohibitive.
We are currently researching either solar panels or a generator (the last one also presents a number of issues). But time will tell. It took the club til 1985 to get running water, we still have a well if that helps our stone age appearance (now blocked I might add).
I think a few on here can vouch for Raintons teas! So no issues there.

I’d still look forward to visiting, even before you mentioned the teas - but now I know that I might make an appearance even if I’m not playing!
Played for years at Rainton with no electric or running water. Teas were always class thanks to Mrs Willey

Mind have the houses probably had nee electric as well :)

Just how good marra? (excitement building)
If they were my club and countless others around the country wouldn’t exist though. You don’t need electricity to play a game of cricket and while showers are massively preferential you don’t absolutely need them either.

Aye well, I don’t know about you but I like to get a wash after I’ve spent hours running and diving about a field.

Last edited:
I’d still look forward to visiting, even before you mentioned the teas - but now I know that I might make an appearance even if I’m not playing!

Just how good marra? (excitement building)

Aye well, I don’t know about you but I like to get a wash after I’ve spent hours running and diving about a field.

I do too but given the choice of enforcing that rule and folding a load of clubs or leaving it as it is I know what I’d do.

I do too but given the choice of enforcing that rule and folding a load of clubs or leaving it as it is I know what I’d do.

Yeah buy a packet of wet wipes or a bottle of water, or get a hose down. Or alternatively, go home and get a wash straight after the game just like the millions of 5 a side footballers do or for that matter cricketers do.

Same goes for Hunwick. We don't have showers but we'd like to think our ground is of a decent enough standard (electricity, covers, sight screens, bar, electronic scoreboard, new and improved drainage, 2 lane astro turf netting facility etc...).

The DCL panel didnt have any issue when we joined the league originally at least.

I’d do the same as you I’m sure, but we should still strive for the best ;)
Yeah buy a packet of wet wipes or a bottle of water, or get a hose down. Or alternatively, go home and get a wash straight after the game just like the millions of 5 a side footballers do or for that matter cricketers do.

Every time I’ve ever played 5-a-side football there’ve been wash facilities at the venue.

Do we take from this that whenever you play cricket or football you don’t get a shower after? Cock shy marra? You can only show the hand you’ve been dealt y’knar ;)

Last edited:
I’d do the same as you I’m sure, but we should still strive for the best ;)

Every time I’ve ever played 5-a-side football there’ve been wash facilities at the venue.

Do we take from this that whenever you play cricket or football you don’t get a shower after? Cock shy marra? You can only show the hand you’ve been dealt y’knar ;)
Cock shy is not something you can be with our first team

Back