Durham CCC v Durham Uni

Status
Not open for further replies.

420 odd runs in one day is a canny effort regardless of the opposition.

How did Borthwick get out on 99?
We'd gone by then so other than telling you he was clean bowled....

After one of the clean bowleds' today the bails broke and a new set had to be called for.

It was absolutely bitterly cold this morning. fortunately the bairn was in the indoor centre so I could pop in and get some warmth. Much pleasanter this afternoon when the sun got out.

Graeme Fowler still top dog for the Durham Uni team; he is as mad as a hatter on twitter.
He'll have to get his thinking cap on for tomorrow as I would expect Durham to declare overnight. Cant see the point in bringing Rushy out to bat when we have 420 on the board, unless they want to give him a while at the crease.

TBH if its anything like last year it could all be over by tomorrow night. Hope not because there is a Family Fun Day on Sunday.

We'd gone by then so other than telling you he was clean bowled....

After one of the clean bowleds' today the bails broke and a new set had to be called for.

It was absolutely bitterly cold this morning. fortunately the bairn was in the indoor centre so I could pop in and get some warmth. Much pleasanter this afternoon when the sun got out.

He'll have to get his thinking cap on for tomorrow as I would expect Durham to declare overnight. Cant see the point in bringing Rushy out to bat when we have 420 on the board, unless they want to give him a while at the crease.

TBH if its anything like last year it could all be over by tomorrow night. Hope not because there is a Family Fun Day on Sunday.

Good runs for Mustard/Borthwick & Stokes.

Hope they put up a better effort than last season, 19 all out?

Good runs for Mustard/Borthwick & Stokes.

Hope they put up a better effort than last season, 19 all out?
Stokes smacked a 6 onto the roof again and also smacked a 6 about 90 yards towards the old scoreboard. A helluva hit considering the wicket being used is up towards the new scoreboard.

Mustard played well and was caught to a smart catch in the slips.

Yes, havent checked but 19 all out seems about right. It was the lowest first class score anywhere in the world in the last 10 years or so when it happened. We'd barely got settled in the ground when it was all over!

Hopefully they'll put on a better show than that tomorrow.

Stokes smacked a 6 onto the roof again and also smacked a 6 about 90 yards towards the old scoreboard. A helluva hit considering the wicket being used is up towards the new scoreboard.

Mustard played well and was caught to a smart catch in the slips.

Yes, havent checked but 19 all out seems about right. It was the lowest first class score anywhere in the world in the last 10 years or so when it happened. We'd barely got settled in the ground when it was all over!

Hopefully they'll put on a better show than that tomorrow.

Was there many in the ground?

I remember going to day 1 of this fixture about 4 year ago when Wiseman played for Durham and I'm sure I counted 17 at the start of play...

Was there many in the ground?

I remember going to day 1 of this fixture about 4 year ago when Wiseman played for Durham and I'm sure I counted 17 at the start of play...
Not today. I was in the ground, the members lounge and the colin milburn lounge and would guess at 150?

Great knocks from the middle to lower order. Think tomorrow we'll bowl them all out for less than the follow-on but I would imagine our lot wanting to bat again themselves.

Great knocks from the middle to lower order. Think tomorrow we'll bowl them all out for less than the follow-on but I would imagine our lot wanting to bat again themselves.
Fair suggestion. The club will want the game to go into Sunday and the main thing here is about giving our batsmen time in the middle rather than winning the game.

There is a case for saying that Durham has enough runs already to win the game.

What would be your team be for Somerset then?
The only problem position seems to be the number 3. Colly will obviously come back in at 6 but do you play Smith, Muchell or Richardson at 3.

I'd be tempted to go with Richardson.

Therefore same as today with Richardson at 3 and Colly at 6. I really do think that an overseas batsman at the top of the order with Jennings or Rocky would have been great but it isnt to be.

Scorecard from last year if anyone is interested;

http://msn.cricket365.com/scorecard/13290/Durham-v-Durham-University-06-04-2012-11-00

Did anyone get down there today. Just wondering how well we actually batted. The standard of the university team appears to decline year by year. Looking on cricinfo looks like only their captain has actually played first class cricket for a county.

I popped along at about 12.20pm and was going to stay till mid afternoon but it was so cold I ended up leaving during the lunch break so only saw about an hours play.

Stokes looked in fine form so I'm pleased to see he went on to make a century. Plenty of sixes scored today which isn't that surprising given the standard of the bowling and the fact the wicket they used was only about 30 yards from the pavillion.:)

Overheard Colly telling one of the supporters that he should be fit and available for the Somerset match next week.

The only problem position seems to be the number 3. Colly will obviously come back in at 6 but do you play Smith, Muchell or Richardson at 3.

I'd be tempted to go with Richardson.

Therefore same as today with Richardson at 3 and Colly at 6. I really do think that an overseas batsman at the top of the order with Jennings or Rocky would have been great but it isnt to be.

Scorecard from last year if anyone is interested;

http://msn.cricket365.com/scorecard/13290/Durham-v-Durham-University-06-04-2012-11-00

Definitely aggree with the number 3 issue, I'd even go as far to say that I think 1, 2 and 3 is worrying - but only due to the inexperience of the lads currently occupying them slots.

However as stated elsewhere, I'm very excited to see the young lads getting stuck in. One thing is for sure though - I don't think I'd swap our 4-8 for anyone else's 4-8 in the whole of the county scene.

I too would put Richo up there when Colly is fit.

Last edited:
Interesting that Benks batted at 4 in the order. Hope that happens in the championship as well. Thought he or Colly should have been batting there last season. Now that Diva has gone i dont think they can tuck themselves away at 5 and 6 for the season. Also it looks like Stokes is going to have a heavy workload this season in all forms of the game and deserves a bit of protection. At 21 he probably wants to do everything.

Smith bowling a few overs here, I wonder if that and batting at 3 in this game points to him being given the nod to start next weeks opening CC game against Somerset instead of Richardson.

Smith sent down 18 overs and took 2 wickets. If he isn't in the plans for next week it seems odd giving him so many overs. Unless it was just to get spin from both ends with the old ball?

We have a lead of about 270 will we bat all day tomorrow?

I suppose it depends on who needs the most time out in the middle, the batsmen or the bowlers. I would like to see us bat till all the recognised batters have had a knock, it doesn't make sense to waste batting practice when batting could be difficult early season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back