Durham CCC v Durham Uni

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Striker
Hard to think the lads will be playing First Class cricket in three days. I type this as snow is falling again outside! I've never known a March/April so gloomy and cold. I thought after last seasons incredibly damp start, we couldn't get any worse. Of course minus temperatures could be the case. Imagine frost on the outfield meeting the start of the season!

I remember when it snowed on the first day of the season at home to Worcestershire too, which is now iirc over a decade ago!

Could be a while before we see short sleeves in the members area :-D

I don't mind the cold, it's the rain that spoils it for everyone. Cricket fields are great when the suns out and there's play going on, but there's nothing worse that a wet lifeless ground waiting for play to start.

Re the Uni game, I think it's fair to assume that the team will be the starting 11 for the Somerset game, with lack of outdoor practice so far I wouldn't expect them to miss the opportunity to get the starting 11 out in the middle as soon as they can.

Looking at the BBC weather they are forecasting it will be dry and a maximum temp of 6 degrees on Friday for the opening day. So you can take at least a couple of degrees of that for the Riverside.

Reading Harmys column in this weekends Sunday Sun looks like he has already ruled himself out of being an early season starter due to lack of outdoor practice and the the form of other seamers last season.

Reading Harmys column in this weekends Sunday Sun looks like he has already ruled himself out of being an early season starter due to lack of outdoor practice and the the form of other seamers last season.

He's ruled himself out of the Hampshire game at home as well as he has a piss up event the night before in London for his benefit thing.

Dedicated to Durham you know..... :roll::roll:

I shall be there on all days. Looking forward to it.

Hope the uni give us a tougher game this time.

18 all out last year second innings (one player absent).

Aye, hence why I said it might be abit pointless.

Do Durham not have 22 players to have an 11 v 11 game between themselves?

I've often been saying we should have organised a game with our reserves. Would have been a decent game - the young lads wanting to put one over on the first teamers and give Cookie something to think about.

I also would be in favour of a firsts v seconds match. I imagine the likes of Brathwaite, Harrison, Claydon, Wood etc would be a better seam attack than the Uni and considering the problems we had with our batting last season against the seaming ball, it makes real sense.

Is it free in to university matches? Might nip along with the little un to the fun day as i'm led to brlieve thst Peppa pig will be there.

Is it free in to university matches? Might nip along with the little un to the fun day as i'm led to brlieve thst Peppa pig will be there.

Yes the Uni game is free for all 3 days.

I can't see them putting out any other side than the 11 that will start against Somerset, unless Colly needs another week to recover.

Been down with the bairn to his U11 County stuff for most of the day and whilst I was there the first team were training. Spent some time watching them practice, had a bit craic on. A few points of note:

Harmison - was there, bowled, seemed fine and up for it.
Collingwood - bandages off, batted and fielded, seemed ok; he'll probably have a bit of a reaction tomorrow I would imagine but from what I'm told his operation has been a big success.
Stokes - bowling fast as fuck. Really quick.
Coughlin - the club has had really good reports from the club he was playing with in Australia over the winter. Batted and bowled really well.
Rushworth - had a chat with him, good lad. Enjoyed the MCC game and said that Warwickshire look like the team to beat. Reckons that Bell and Trott will be playing for them when we face them

All the players looked to be in pretty good shape.

The BBC are tipping us to be in the bottom 3 so we go into this match and the new season next week with a much lower expectation than recent times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back