Durham CCC 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the idea of promoting our own but that team lacks an opening bowler and a spinner. Carse,Weighell and Potts are good young players at different stages of their development but I don't think they have got 50 championship wickets between them. Also we can't over bowl them even if they do perform as they will just breakdown. I honestly believe a quality opening bowler is a must for the championship side next season.

fair point, perhaps I'm expecting too much of carse, if not for his injures I think he would be a good solid bowler by now but aye lacks a bit of experience after missing most of this season and last. would allow us to rotate the younger bowlers to keep them fresh and healthy hopefully.

spin wise I think smith and steel are good options for if it is really turning or we need to get the over rate down, pringle will battle burnham for that spot in the middle order and both have all rounder capabilities.

so i'll compromise on one more signing as long as it is an opening bowler. we'll basically be looking for a graham onions who is willing to sign a contract that he wasn't.

would quite happily see gidman return even at the expense of burnham - let him concentrate on one day cricket perhaps and/or give him a kick up the arse to make runs.

with options with the ball like steel, smith, gidman, burnham, pringle in the middle order it could allow us to play an extra batsman anarl

Woody not in the Ashes squad hopefully means a winters rest, build up his fitness and hopefully Durham have the strike bowler they need.
So how about
Latham
Steel
Smith
Clark
Collingwood
Burnham
Gidman
Richardson
Wood
Potts
Rushworth.

Woody not in the Ashes squad hopefully means a winters rest, build up his fitness and hopefully Durham have the strike bowler they need.
So how about
Latham
Steel
Smith
Clark
Collingwood
Burnham
Gidman
Richardson
Wood
Potts
Rushworth.

that looks strong that mind. obviously it is dependant on gidman actually signing - given he still plays his local cricket up here it seems like a move that would suit everyone better. fancy commuting between Canterbury and sacriston.

I'd argue that with that batting I'd say picking the better keeper is a better option so swap poynter for Richardson as richo has been struggling

So how about
Latham
Steel
Smith
Clark
Collingwood
Burnham
Gidman
Richardson
Wood
Potts
Rushworth.

One massive flaw with that plan is that he'll likely not get a central contract as a result.

Can we afford his wages? Possibly not, but even if we can he may rather be in Division One where he can get more exposure in the fight for his international career.

One massive flaw with that plan is that he'll likely not get a central contract as a result.

Can we afford his wages? Possibly not, but even if we can he may rather be in Division One where he can get more exposure in the fight for his international career.

stokes punishment will probably be stripped of his central contract anarl, but still be picked for every match and not allowed to play for us

stokes punishment will probably be stripped of his central contract anarl, but still be picked for every match and not allowed to play for us
When this is studied more closely you may well be correct.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41422104

Yes, we can but dream and at the moment that's about all we have to cling to. Most likely scenario is that Woody will go down the T20 route earning a fortune bowling 4 overs a game.

Last edited:

Him and Colly will take up a fair percentage of the amount available.

it is frightening when you think the players that have left since last year - stoneman, borthwick, Jennings, coughlin, onions might be earning more than our entire team next year :confused:
Don't forget the likes of Mustard who was a big earner then the likes of Muchall Arshad there is no way they could have retained that many on the kind of salaries they are paying on the county circuit.

Don't forget the likes of Mustard who was a big earner then the likes of Muchall Arshad there is no way they could have retained that many on the kind of salaries they are paying on the county circuit.

aye, it is understandable all the cost cutting we've had to make. still horrendous like.

all the money thrown into an international standard white elephant

Colly will be at Durham and fighting for as long as his body holds out and he'll definitely be there next year - from the man himself to Marty.

What are peoples thoughts on bringing a Kolpak in? Ryan Mclaren looks like he is leaving Lancashire.

We need some more experience. So have no issue with it.

ECB probably dock us points though.

Yeah, echo these sentiments too in fairness. With Bunny gone, we need a strike bowler - McLaren might not be described as that exactly, but he doesn't half take wickets. Handy with the bat too.

McLaren at 8 would ease the pressure on someone like Carse for example - who we could attempt to mould into our new ball bowler.

Reactions: WCC
Yeah, echo these sentiments too in fairness. With Bunny gone, we need a strike bowler - McLaren might not be described as that exactly, but he doesn't half take wickets. Handy with the bat too.

McLaren at 8 would ease the pressure on someone like Carse for example - who we could attempt to mould into our new ball bowler.
I reckon we’re missing a decent all rounder so mcclaren(Got more runs than Vince at 36s I believe) as well as opening bowler would be ideal.

Mind if Woody stays and is fit. We have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back