Durham’s T20 Campaign

Ollie Robinson on loan from Kent is a strange one.
I’ve made no secret of my ambivalence towards this format over the years, but anything Durham related will always draw my interest to some degree and I’m actually looking forward to this.

Much of that probably has to do with the frustration that currently surrounds the red ball side, but the improvement of various clubs’ live streams has been a big advantage for anyone wanting to follow this format and it’s brilliant to be able to sit on an evening and catch up with the games.

I listened to Badger on the WMS Pod speaking about this season’s campaign, he said that the players and coaches would probably get their heads together early this week and have a meeting to discuss tactics, I think with Turner, Trev and Badger likely to feature we may see a spin heavy ‘philosophy’. Certainly on any night where it goes well we’d only need 8 overs from the seamers - which given the likelihood of Potts being lost to England and the routine test of Rushy could be the best course of action.

Could we see Carse and Coggers (who appears to be nearing fitness) as the two main quicks? With Raine added to the mix as the sixth man of a six-man rotation - as all good white ball sides operate?

As usual we’ll probably see a couple of young lads given a go too - Gibson probably, could this bring about the senior introduction of Mitch Killeen?

One things for sure, the batting seems absolutely stacked! Clark as the usual opener to go along with a number of lads who are having a good year up to now - Dickson, Bedders, we may even have Lees and Stokes to atleast begin the campaign. Turner involved too.

It’s normally at this point that I would say ‘the futures bright’, but it backfired massively in terms of the Championship side so I’m saying nowt :lol:
To early for Mitchell I think, the two left armers will be ahead of him.

I believe he has left us. He also got injured in that Hampshire game. Even if he hasn’t left us he’s hardly likely to feature without any warm up or practice games under his belt.
Yeah I heard that down at the Notts 2nds game last week that he'd gone. Always find you learn more from the attendees at the 2nds games than you ever do from the Club unless it's stuff about Michael Buble, Diana Ross and T20 season tickets.

If true, poor of the club not to announce it and to wish him well.

I thought it was odd the article in the Portsmouth paper said he was a "Durham University cricketer".
I'm not sure if he has left but there were some serious attitude issues with training schedules since Xmas so it would be absolutely no surprise if he was gone.

I'm not sure if he has left but there were some serious attitude issues with training schedules since Xmas so it would be absolutely no surprise if he was gone.
Well going by the end product of these training schedules i.e. the absolute trash served up by most of the bowlers so far this season, I can be fully sympathetic with Campbell having a serious attitude problem with training schedules. It'll be very interesting to follow how this lads career progresses.

Last edited:
His Facebook page says he's still a Durham cricketer. Looking at his 2nd XI stats last season he didn't do too badly.

I'd like to think he's still with Durham and they have just farmed him out to cool his heels for a while. The fact he's gone to Hampshire may suggest a touch of homesickness if his family live down there?

Well going by the end product of these training schedules i.e. the absolute trash served up by most of the bowlers so far this season, I can be fully sympathetic with Campbell having a serious attitude problem with training schedules. It'll be very interesting to follow how this lads career progresses.
Well that’s nice. With “supporters” like you who needs an opposition? If the training schedules are so awful perhaps Potts was training on a different planet then? Your assertion is arrogant, ignorant and totally without foundation. I have absolutely no doubt that the players have all trained hard throughout the winter. Furthermore they have not bowled trash (have a close look at the live streams on YouTube they’re all available- every ball) though clearly they have lacked success, but the same can be said of seamers throughout the country. Even Stuart Broad described the current batch of balls as “bowling with plasticine”. See: County game has much to consider as early-season Championship dishes up thin gruel

Potts has certainly been bowling on a different planet so presumably he trained on one.
Well that’s nice. With “supporters” like you who needs an opposition? If the training schedules are so awful perhaps Potts was training on a different planet then? Your assertion is arrogant, ignorant and totally without foundation. I have absolutely no doubt that the players have all trained hard throughout the winter. Furthermore they have not bowled trash (have a close look at the live streams on YouTube they’re all available- every ball) though clearly they have lacked success, but the same can be said of seamers throughout the country. Even Stuart Broad described the current batch of balls as “bowling with plasticine”. See: County game has much to consider as early-season Championship dishes up thin gruel
We clearly have different expectations on standards achieved this season. I have no intention of getting involved in a slanging match.

I think the main problem was that he was telling Durham CCC he had training with Durham University, whilst telling the University he had training with Durham CCC! Whilst in reality he was doing neither and of course this was massively frowned upon. Like I say, I'm not sure if this has played a part in his absence but it would make sense.

Potts has certainly been bowling on a different planet so presumably he trained on one.

We clearly have different expectations on standards achieved this season. I have no intention of getting involved in a slanging match.
We have the same desires and hopes for success and share the same disappointment of achievements to date, but I don’t accept it’s due to lack of effort, desire or commitment to training or anything else. The players deserve our support. I will applaud them win or lose.

Back