DSL Breakaway?

Third teams are only mandated at NEPL level. It's fair enough that you need strength in depth to reach that point imo otherwise you could just lash out loads of money on a first team.

Well guess that’s the debate, imo having two full teams at senior league in this era, where people have soo many other distractions is more than enough depth.

The point been, I think everyone on here universally agrees a team should be able progress through the leagues (apart from wicket keeper).

However that whole principle falls down when the top league in the region could possibly block that principle through unfair and unrealistic ctriteria.

Surely if teams are struggling to field second teams then third teams should not be a mandated aspect.

Whether the system is miles better now than before is entirely a matter of opinion, as only thing wrong with the old system imo, was the lack of promotion and relegation admittedly quite a big thing.
I totally agree and hence some clubs may see the DSL as a more viable option for their club.

It's easier to field a Sunday team now than a third team due to work patterns and kids availability. I personally think the way forward is for 2nd teams to play Sunday's and the thirds optional on a Saturday. That will help all clubs to field 2 teams as a minimum

Well guess that’s the debate, imo having two full teams at senior league in this era, where people have soo many other distractions is more than enough depth.

The point been, I think everyone on here universally agrees a team should be able progress through the leagues (apart from wicket keeper).

However that whole principle falls down when the top league in the region could possibly block that principle through unfair and unrealistic ctriteria.
Yeah agree, need to get onto the ECB to be more relaxed on the national Premier League Criteria. Not sure if they will become more flexible though as they are pushing ground criteria, Clubmark to improve long term stability of grassroots cricket

Last edited:
I totally agree and hence some clubs may see the DSL as a more viable option for their club.

It's easier to field a Sunday team now than a third team due to work patterns and kids availability. I personally think the way forward is for 2nd teams to play Sunday's and the thirds optional on a Saturday. That will help all clubs to field 2 teams as a minimum

Yeah agree, need to get onto the ECB to be more relaxed on the national Premier League Criteria. Not sure if they will become more flexible though as they are pushing ground criteria, Clubmark to improve long term stability of grassroots cricket

Yeah to me it’s about simply adapting to the changing times and putting less pressure on local clubs.

Too many clubs are losing players and if it wasn’t for the leagues like the NEDL been more flexible with clubs like South Hetton and Seaham Harbour them clubs would be no more.

Back