DSL Breakaway?

No shock in Durham City being involved, don't think they were keen on the pyramid from day one .Always thought they were better than everyone

Durham City not happy they can't play a couple if Aussies apparently under the DCL rules.

Unless someone put forward a lot of money I can't see how any club could be interested

Aren't they two of the teams that are struggling?
Certainly Horden had a poor year last year and only escaped relegation due to the Brandon situation but I was more talking about South Hetton and Seaham Park who both nearly folded recently and still trying to pick themselves backup

Them and kimmer are worst off clubs from last DSL I believe
I think Kimmer will do pretty well next season

Last edited:
Certainly Horden had a poor year last year and only escaped relegation due to the Brandon situation but I was more talking about South Hetton and Seaham Park who both nearly folded recently and still trying to pick themselves backup

I think Kimmer will do pretty well next season
There are a few beermonsters from last year's team who will struggle in the field. The banter will see them through though.

The pyramid is there primarily to produce DCCC players, more so now the Academy has gone/ DCCC's current struggles so yes, it should have a structure where the top 2 or 3 divisions are where the best players in the region compete. @wicketkeeper would concur.

To a degree of course

It shouldn’t be a divine rite either

Yeah of course every club should always be able to progress always said that, it is very wrong to block a team progressing, especially after the extremely hard work clubs put in on and off the field.

However if local cricket gets to be too competive and too many mandated aspects are introduced like must having a Sunday third team to enter a league for example,that is going too far imo.

I think that’s the wrong way to go when participation is clearly reducing.

Last edited:
Yeah of course every club should always be able to progress always said that, it is very wrong to block a team progressing, especially after the extremely hard work clubs put in on and off the field.

However if local cricket gets to be too competive and too many mandated aspects are introduced like must having a Sunday third team to enter a league for example,that is going too far imo.

Sunday third teams are a good area of expansion mind. 29 sides in this year's HLSCL, with NEPL 3s on top.

As a big supporter of Sunday cricket I do tend to agree making a club have a mandatory team to enter a league can be a very difficult entry requirement

Would focus more on having a good junior set up.

Just think teams need to earn their place in the natural order of a league rather than be given it as they have history

If that’s the case SAFC should be promoted back to the PL ;)

The Elephant in the room is some teams struggling to field 2nd teams on a Saturday.

Is the DSL talks about given some clubs protection from the current mandatory having to field 2 Saturday teams??

I can't believe why any club would want to leave the current structure in place now. Whilst not 100% perfect, it's still miles better than before the NEPL1 was formed

Sunday third teams are a good area of expansion mind. 29 sides in this year's HLSCL, with NEPL 3s on top.

Of course they are, I agree totally.

But is the mandated aspect I disagree with.

A club could work extremely hard for years to progress through the leagues having first, second teams and excellent junior set up.

Then told cannot progress any further because cannot get a third team out on a Sunday due to dwindling numbers and interest.

That cannot be fair imo, two senior teams should be more than enough in this day and age

The Elephant in the room is some teams struggling to field 2nd teams on a Saturday.

Is the DSL talks about given some clubs protection from the current mandatory having to field 2 Saturday teams??

I can't believe why any club would want to leave the current structure in place now. Whilst not 100% perfect, it's still miles better than before the NEPL1 was formed

Most of the clubs on that list are absolutely fine for two Saturday teams. Nearly every club in the DCL manages it ok, even if the standard can be mixed.

Surely if teams are struggling to field second teams then third teams should not be a mandated aspect.

Whether the system is miles better now than before is entirely a matter of opinion, as only thing wrong with the old system imo, was the lack of promotion and relegation admittedly quite a big thing.

Last edited:
Surely if teams are struggling to field second teams then third teams should not be a mandated aspect.

Whether the system it is miles better now than before is entirely a matter of opinion, as only thing wrong with the old system imo, was the lack of promotion and relegation admittedly quite a big thing.

Third teams are only mandated at NEPL level. It's fair enough that you need strength in depth to reach that point imo otherwise you could just lash out loads of money on a first team.

Back