Drop Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, Pakistan international

:lol: FFS

I thought you meant playing for us man?

He created a lot of unnecessary pressure on those around him; however today was a far better example of how to pace a one day innings and I hope he continues to play in this vain.

If you're going to stay in for an entire innings your strike rate needs to be at or around the 100 mark unless the expansive batsmen actually score some runs.

Whilst I agree that his strike rate shouldve been 100. Scoring a century at 80's shouldnt put any pressure on other batsmen doing their thing. Having an anchor stabilise the whole innings should get you a score of 300. Its not his fault no-one else stepped up when the time was right. I would understand if cook did a boycott or summat like. Its clear that the team selection has gone astray. Surely Athers and nasser cant be both wrong.

We need an explosive middle order which is lacking at the moment.

My team would be

Cook
Keiswetter
KP
Morgan
Shah
Bopara
Bresnan
Swann
Tremlett
Anderson
Finn

Love the balance in that lineup

Yes Shah is a left field pick. But I reckon he deserves another crack. Abit of a fair one mind this time.

:lol: FFS

I thought you meant playing for us man?

Whilst I agree that his strike rate shouldve been 100. Scoring a century at 80's shouldnt put any pressure on other batsmen doing their thing. Having an anchor stabilise the whole innings should get you a score of 300. Its not his fault no-one else stepped up when the time was right. I would understand if cook did a boycott or summat like. Its clear that the team selection has gone astray. Surely Athers and nasser cant be both wrong.

We need an explosive middle order which is lacking at the moment.

My team would be

Cook
Keiswetter
KP
Morgan
Shah
Bopara
Bresnan
Swann
Tremlett
Anderson
Finn

Yes Shah is a left field pick. But I reckon he deserves another crack. Abit of a fair one mind this time.

Only because most of the team isn't English anyway. :lol:

Not been impressed by Tremlett in the one-dayers I've seen him play and Finn seems to have a problem pushing it downleg side recently. Shah's had enough chances, I'd be looking to get Hales in. Or if he's it enough maybe Stokes.

Rob Key was talking about Hales during the Notts game and compared him to Stokes. Said they both had a rare presence about them for 19 year olds. Just no fear, composed, sense of belonging.

Edit - didn't realise you'd snook Bopara in there. I'd agree that if he's going to play I'd have him number 6, think he can score the quick runs at the end of an innings that Bell couldn't. Not sure about Bresnan at 7 but can't think of a batsman who'd give you enough overs (unless Stokes and Bopara could be a 5th bowler).

Last edited:
I love it when a plan comes together.

Logon or register to see this image

oh aye win the toss and opt to field and bowl the oppo out in 42 overs.

Its sad because its games like this which leave us totally unprepared for ODI in other countries, where the wickets are typically hard and straw coloured.

As I said great to win and take advantage of playing in our own conditions but doesnt help the side in the long term

My team would be

Cook
Keiswetter
KP
Morgan
Shah
Bopara
Bresnan
Swann
Tremlett
Anderson
Finn

That team looks worse than the one we've put out in this series. Shah and Bopara are poor players at international level and Tremlett and Finn are length bowlers; they would get carted around the park in the sub-continent on flat, low, slow wickets. We either need bowlers with raw pace or lots of variety, Finn and Tremlett, while good bowlers are neither of those.

Not to mention as a fielding unit that team looks very immobile.

oh aye win the toss and opt to field and bowl the oppo out in 42 overs.

Its sad because its games like this which leave us totally unprepared for ODI in other countries, where the wickets are typically hard and straw coloured.

As I said great to win and take advantage of playing in our own conditions but doesnt help the side in the long term
Isn't that why we tour overseas, to learn these conditions which are foreign to our own?

That team looks worse than the one we've put out in this series. Shah and Bopara are poor players at international level and Tremlett and Finn are length bowlers; they would get carted around the park in the sub-continent on flat, low, slow wickets. We either need bowlers with raw pace or lots of variety, Finn and Tremlett, while good bowlers are neither of those.

Not to mention as a fielding unit that team looks very immobile.

Isn't that why we tour overseas, to learn these conditions which are foreign to our own?

and thats why we are always playing catch up as other sides are far more experienced on flat wickets. New players coming into the side have struggled in the main

good win by England last night and good to see Cook showing what he can do. Unfortuantley I agree with Essesxboy as last night just papered over the cracks yes we won and won well but we need to win well on flat tracks as the next world cup will be played mostly on flat wickets. Trott and Bell need to go and I would like to see someone really step up in the bowling department.

Going forward I would like to see the following:
1Cook
2Keiswetter
3Hales
4KP
5Morgan
6Stokes/Collingwood
7Wright/Patel - depending on conditions
8Bresnan
9Swann
10Broad
11Anderson/Finn/Dernbach - depending on conditions

good win by England last night and good to see Cook showing what he can do. Unfortuantley I agree with Essesxboy as last night just papered over the cracks yes we won and won well but we need to win well on flat tracks as the next world cup will be played mostly on flat wickets. Trott and Bell need to go and I would like to see someone really step up in the bowling department.

Going forward I would like to see the following:
1Cook
2Keiswetter
3Hales
4KP
5Morgan
6Stokes/Collingwood
7Wright/Patel - depending on conditions
8Bresnan
9Swann
10Broad
11Anderson/Finn/Dernbach - depending on conditions

I'd probably go Bopara over Wright/Patel, think he has played best as a finisher.

I'd go along with the bowling although I'd always pick Anderson. Broad's better than Finn, I'd go Broad/Dernbach dependent on conditions. Dernbach when it's slow and low - but tell him to bowl fewer slower balls so there's more a surprise element. He was getting some canny swing late on yesterday too (that the Sri Lankan bowlers didn't).

Edit - and especially on flat tracks, I'd open with Hales and Kieswetter then have Cook come in at 3. Unless they batted 30 overs or something (I know) then I'd put Pietersen and Morgan in ahead of Cook.

Last edited:
Only because most of the team isn't English anyway. :lol:

Not been impressed by Tremlett in the one-dayers I've seen him play and Finn seems to have a problem pushing it downleg side recently. Shah's had enough chances, I'd be looking to get Hales in. Or if he's it enough maybe Stokes.

Rob Key was talking about Hales during the Notts game and compared him to Stokes. Said they both had a rare presence about them for 19 year olds. Just no fear, composed, sense of belonging.

Edit - didn't realise you'd snook Bopara in there. I'd agree that if he's going to play I'd have him number 6, think he can score the quick runs at the end of an innings that Bell couldn't. Not sure about Bresnan at 7 but can't think of a batsman who'd give you enough overs (unless Stokes and Bopara could be a 5th bowler).

:lol:

Totally shredded me line up then.

Did Shah really get a proper, I mean proper run? Every time he came out it looked like he was playing for his place. Did no one put their arm round him and say he's in for the next two-three series, like Broad and bell have had said to them in the past.

I'd probably go Bopara over Wright/Patel, think he has played best as a finisher.

I'd go along with the bowling although I'd always pick Anderson. Broad's better than Finn, I'd go Broad/Dernbach dependent on conditions. Dernbach when it's slow and low - but tell him to bowl fewer slower balls so there's more a surprise element. He was getting some canny swing late on yesterday too (that the Sri Lankan bowlers didn't).

Edit - and especially on flat tracks, I'd open with Hales and Kieswetter then have Cook come in at 3. Unless they batted 30 overs or something (I know) then I'd put Pietersen and Morgan in ahead of Cook.

I don't have a problem with Bopara at 7 either as long as he gets on with it. His batting in the world cup was nothing short of disgraceful as he plodded along and then after finally reaching or getting near 50 he got out because he thought he had done enough. He's another one with power but generally his strike rate is poor.

if you read the papers today, quotes illustrate that England asked the TB groundsman to leave grass on the wicket so the ball would swing

if you get straw coloured wickets in the next w/c in Aus, we will be hopeless as usual in the w/c

papering over the cracks again

if you read the papers today, quotes illustrate that England asked the TB groundsman to leave grass on the wicket so the ball would swing

if you get straw coloured wickets in the next w/c in Aus, we will be hopeless as usual in the w/c

papering over the cracks again
We would probably be hopeless anyway. I doubt three or four hammerings on flat pitches would help our bowlers that much give they've grown up and been developed on green tops.

We would probably be hopeless anyway. I doubt three or four hammerings on flat pitches would help our bowlers that much give they've grown up and been developed on green tops.

quite possibly but then why is there such a clamour for this player and that after every w/c failure. We will never be good enough

EB has a much stronger argument with Anderson in this form of the game. Even when hes swinging it on fast pitches you havent got 4 slips and a gully and even good balls get carved for boundaries. That said we do experiment more with bowlers in this form of the game and i'm not really convinced by any of them.

EB has a much stronger argument with Anderson in this form of the game. Even when hes swinging it on fast pitches you havent got 4 slips and a gully and even good balls get carved for boundaries. That said we do experiment more with bowlers in this form of the game and i'm not really convinced by any of them.

Can anyone confirm if we have been the team to beat post war in either ODI or test cricket?

there is no argument about anderson in test matches.
he is very good but someone has developed an illogical hatred :lol:

im not a fan of having him in the ODI side.

there is no argument about anderson in test matches.
he is very good but someone has developed an illogical hatred :lol:

im not a fan of having him in the ODI side.

there is an argument if you believe England cant become number 1 in the world with a one dimensional bowler like Jimmy leading the attack

We are presently 12 points behind India in the ICC rankings which a hard winter tour in Asia to come

Can anyone confirm if we have been the team to beat post war in either ODI or test cricket?

Not really - I can just imagine an argument in the 80s 'England will never get to Number 1 in the world with Beefy and Gower in the side'

That nutter would have been proved right anarl :)

Can we drop Cook while we're at it?

In today's game getting 100 at nowhere near a run a ball is simply not good enough if we're going to do anything in the ODI format.

To be honest, aside from Morgan and Swann the whole lot of them want dropping.

See it's not just football you know nowt about then. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back