Driving into Newcastle on a morning

Have you checked the train times?

It was one an hour, but they now put a second one on once a day for the commuters. I could do it but I'd be relying solely on the old boneshaker to be reliable. I'm assuming some of the trains will be delayed when the metro system goes down.

*nostaligia warning*

Used to drive into Newcastle 20 years ago for work and apart from 5 minutes of queueing you could get straight in and parked for free if you were ITK. Since they strangled all the rat runs and shut the high level to cars its appalling. Occasionally have to go in for work from Team Valley and you can easily wait half an hour just to cross the Tyne bridge off Gateshead flyover

It was one an hour, but they now put a second one on once a day for the commuters. I could do it but I'd be relying solely on the old boneshaker to be reliable. I'm assuming some of the trains will be delayed when the metro system goes down.

*nostaligia warning*

Used to drive into Newcastle 20 years ago for work and apart from 5 minutes of queueing you could get straight in and parked for free if you were ITK. Since they strangled all the rat runs and shut the high level to cars its appalling. Occasionally have to go in for work from Team Valley and you can easily wait half an hour just to cross the Tyne bridge off Gateshead flyover
I used to park for free in Pottery Lane off Forth banks. Only drawback was all spaces would be gone by 630am. With the police station opening there made it even more of a lottery to get a spot. Not worked there in 2 years but as far as I know it is still free parking there.

The North East gets royally mugged-off in terms of investment in infrastructure considering how many people live here. Even driving to somewhere as close as Leeds and the roads are a lot better. Won't ever change unless the politics in the area does.

I consciously bought a house nearer town just to try and skip some of the commute and give myself some more time in the day. Worth it.

I used to park for free in Pottery Lane off Forth banks. Only drawback was all spaces would be gone by 630am. With the police station opening there made it even more of a lottery to get a spot. Not worked there in 2 years but as far as I know it is still free parking there.

Little car park Under the metro bridge was my choice but I think it’s pay and display now.

Centre of Sunderland to centre of Newcastle takes 45-60 minutes on a bike. If you're not a fat mess, like.
what route do you take ?

was thinking of applying for a job in Newcastle centre too, but my commute would be Seaham to Newcastle centre every day. Genuinely not sure I could hack it day in day out. Don't think there's much prospect of working from home either :neutral:
seaham... theres an express train only stops at sunderland/heworth then newcstle central - bout 35mins from seaham , only runs twice an hour but much quicker than metro

Is they a reason why ever major road in Tyneside seems to be having a massive amount of works done at the same time?! A19, Silverlink, Coast Road- it's f***ing mental.

I've been told, and I hesitate to mention this because I have my doubts etc, that a large oil field has been found a few miles off Blyth and a lot of infrastructure work is being done in preparation for an influx of industry. Now I have no idea whether there's any credence to this lads story but he referenced a lot of work going in at Blyth harbour and plans to take down Cambois pier to allow tankers in as evidence. He also pointed out that there's a load of Premier Inn type places, been granted planning permission from Whitley up to Blyth, the roads being improved and a few other bits and bobs.

'what route do you take ?'

@Fletch

i use the one from seaburn past the dog track, boldon and come out at testos roundabout and on from there. cycle lane etc.

I go the opposite way.

Just as bad. I’m over the tyne bridge for 6.45 every morning or I can add at least another 20/30 minutes to the 11 mile commute

No-one has ever done anything to improve the traffic at the Heworth roundabout. We moved there by the Maiden Over in 1967 and the family are still there now. It's had about four rebuilds in that time and every one improved nothing. Somedays it was quicker to walk to work at Pandon Banks.

North Hylton Road, Follingsby Lane, Sunderland road (or the 184 West of Heworth depending on time).
thought follingsby lane meant to be full of pot holes that you cant see now dark nights here ?

'what route do you take ?'

@Fletch

i use the one from seaburn past the dog track, boldon and come out at testos roundabout and on from there. cycle lane etc.

I be coming from barnes what cycle lane is there from testos mate? i'm considering starting to cycle couple times week to work (Newcastle), the metro is a right ballache now

Back