Dressing up as the Fresh Prince of Bel Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

I mentioned the fake tan cos did you see that thing recently where some lass used fake tan and people started having a go at her for appropriating blackness or something?

Man alive... WTF is wrong with people?! It's fake tan! Unless she went from pasty white to dark brown over night where's the harm?

I'm not sure what on earth to say about the Bruce Lee bit. That's just odd

Man alive... WTF is wrong with people?! It's fake tan! Unless she went from pasty white to dark brown over night where's the harm?

I'm not sure what on earth to say about the Bruce Lee bit. That's just odd
It was briliant tbh. He looked just like him

Aye but it's rubbish isn't it. It's like a bad costume. You need people to be able to recognise you straight away.

I mentioned the fake tan cos did you see that thing recently where some lass used fake tan and people started having a go at her for appropriating blackness or something?

Come to think of it a black lad at uni went as bruce lee, he yellowed his face a bit and stuck on different shaped eyebrows and a whig. Looked really good.
He was yellow?:lol: wtf

I went to a fancy dress party as Will Smith, I wore a black suit and tie and cut a picture of him out of a magazine and stuck it to some cardboard to make a mask. I also had some ray guns that were confiscated by the doormen at Privilege. If I had just painted my face black I don’t really look much like Will Smith so it probably wouldn’t have worked, plus the paint makes a right mess everywhere.
Nobody accused me of racism or cultural appropriation but this was 2002 so might be different now.

We went on a fancy dress pub crawl at uni and the theme was you paired up with a mate and had to dress as an exaggerated version of them.

The awkward silence when one of the lads emerged from his flat blacked up because his partner was black was palpable :lol:

Was fine in the end like. I think people hadn’t even considered the likely outcome of that interracial pairing which was why people were a bit stunned :lol:
Hopefully in the future it will be acceptable as long as it's done in the spirit of being an actual person and not just making fun of a race in general.

It's obviously tarred from its deeply racist past

He was yellow?:lol: wtf
I dunno, he certainly wasn't black, he put a tanning product on I think that changed his tint to similar to an oriental asian colour.

Hopefully in the future it will be acceptable as long as it's done in the spirit of being an actual person and not just making fun of a race in general.

It's obviously tarred from its deeply racist past

I dunno, he certainly wasn't black, he put a tanning product on I think that changed his tint to similar to an oriental asian colour.
:lol:

I went to a fancy dress party as Will Smith, I wore a black suit and tie and cut a picture of him out of a magazine and stuck it to some cardboard to make a mask. I also had some ray guns that were confiscated by the doormen at Privilege. If I had just painted my face black I don’t really look much like Will Smith so it probably wouldn’t have worked, plus the paint makes a right mess everywhere.
Nobody accused me of racism or cultural appropriation but this was 2002 so might be different now.

I don't see anything wrong with that. Although it does beg the question, why didn't you go as Tommy Lee Jones?

:lol:
Having the discussion the other day when it was suggested and there is absolutely no way you would be recognisable as him without blacking up would you?
Obviously its not on to black up
But its also not on that white people cannot wear a costume for a black person

Hmmmm.

1 do it and risk offending somebody

2 do it and justify it by explaining a thousand different way why it shouldn’t offend anybody blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

3 do it with the deliberate intention of offending and additionally winding people up.

4 don’t bother. Life’s too short

The choice is yours

1 do it and risk offending somebody

2 do it and justify it by explaining a thousand different way why it shouldn’t offend anybody blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

3 do it with the deliberate intention of offending and additionally winding people up.

4 don’t bother. Life’s too short

The choice is yours

5) pick another costume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back