Dressing up as the Fresh Prince of Bel Air

We went on a fancy dress pub crawl at uni and the theme was you paired up with a mate and had to dress as an exaggerated version of them.

The awkward silence when one of the lads emerged from his flat blacked up because his partner was black was palpable :lol:

Was fine in the end like. I think people hadn’t even considered the likely outcome of that interracial pairing which was why people were a bit stunned :lol:

Mint. :lol:

About 20 seconds of awkward silence which felt like an age.

Thank fuck the black lad was known for wearing a really distinctive hat when it was cold and he didn’t wear some ridiculous Afro wig.

I was paired up with a lad who played non-league football so just borrowed his training tracksuit. He was half Indian but I never once considered altering my skin tone for the evening :lol:

:lol:

Having the discussion the other day when it was suggested and there is absolutely no way you would be recognisable as him without blacking up would you?
even if you did, you'd end up looking more like either kid or play.

May as well have asked if Elton welsby is an acceptable fancy dress outfit.

Is blacking up racist if it's done out of respect for the person? No, not in the slightest. You're portraying a character by dressing up as them. Race has nothing to do with it.

It's the PC brigade getting offended at everything like they always do.

Would they feel the same about some stranger in the pub doing it?
Logon or register to see this image

What if I just get a really good suntan and dress up as Will, is that acceptable? Is being a white Will Smith acceptable? Is it the brown face-paint that's insulting or the fact that you're dressing up as somebody of a different race? Are those dreadlock hats you buy in joke shops racist? Are people with Jamaican flag stickers on their cars racists? What if a black fella wears a Freddy mask on halloween, is that racist?

It's f***ing ridiculous man. There's a difference between donning a 1920's blackface and acting out a racist stereotype than dressing up as a person you admire and going to a party.

Back