Draught from floor....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uplift the carpet and if you’re not confident of refitting try doing half the room at a time. Pull it back half way along with the underlay and lay a 8mm ply over the whole floor. Relay underlay and carpet then repeat on the other half.if you have gaps on bottom of your skirting apply decorators caulk around the perimeter. There will still be plenty of airflow underneath

Cheers

I’d lay some cheap ply wood over the boards, stain it incase of any sort water spillages and drill holes every so often to allow it to breathe and for airflow

Uplift the carpet and if you’re not confident of refitting try doing half the room at a time. Pull it back half way along with the underlay and lay a 8mm ply over the whole floor. Relay underlay and carpet then repeat on the other half.if you have gaps on bottom of your skirting apply decorators caulk around the perimeter. There will still be plenty of airflow underneath
Is the correct answer .

How is a draught getting past floorboards, carpet and underlay? My house is the same as the ops with a half metre gap under the floorboards. There is airbricks front and rear to give ventilation under there. We have carpet in the living room but no draughts.

How is a draught getting past floorboards, carpet and underlay? My house is the same as the ops with a half metre gap under the floorboards. There is airbricks front and rear to give ventilation under there. We have carpet in the living room but no draughts.

Don't know mate, but you can feel the draught, maybe they are just badly fitted....

The draught is a good thing. You shouldn’t have issues with damp. You just need a barrier to stop it permeating through the underlay and carpet. Foil backed underlay will do this and it insulates the temperature difference.

Airflow will be okay under the joists if airbricks are clear. You need that. But draughts could be mostly solved by cutting polystyrene to fit tight between the joists. Don't need any netting for that. I wouldn't use fibre glass insulation, as it wouldn't stop the draughts. 3 mill ply on top of floorboards. Seal between bottom of skirting and ply. Don't forget to seal or at least bung up the holes where the radiator pipes come through.

Reactions: PTR
you're supposed to be at work anarl

:lol::lol:
I can’t believe I’ve read that question.

Where the fuck do you think it should go ?

As mince.

:lol::lol:
Airflow will be okay under the joists if airbricks are clear. You need that. But draughts could be mostly solved by cutting polystyrene to fit tight between the joists. Don't need any netting for that. I wouldn't use fibre glass insulation, as it wouldn't stop the draughts. 3 mill ply on top of floorboards. Seal between bottom of skirting and ply. Don't forget to seal or at least bung up the holes where the radiator pipes come through.

Cheers mate, spot on that

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back