Draught from floor....

My living room has been baltic ever since we removed the laminate flooring and replaced it with carpet....

The draught comes from under the floorboards, there is a gap of around 50cm below the floor boards to the ground below....

We have a decent underlay, but that doesn't help...

Any ideas on how to stop the draught, is it as simple as laying some type of board over the floor boards?

On the same note, how easy would it be to re-lay the carpet, or would it be best to get a bloke in?

My living room has been baltic ever since we removed the laminate flooring and replaced it with carpet....

The draught comes from under the floorboards, there is a gap of around 50cm below the floor boards to the ground below....

We have a decent underlay, but that doesn't help...

Any ideas on how to stop the draught, is it as simple as laying some type of board over the floor boards?

On the same note, how easy would it be to re-lay the carpet, or would it be best to get a bloke in?

Get someone to move in downstairs and ask them to turn their heating up.
I do realise this will be more difficult if you have a downstairs flat.

Show Brexit is good by outdoing the Europeans. Lock up and impregnate TWO daughters. Up yours Fritzl.

If you lived in London you could rent out the space under the floorboards as a basement apartment. The rent from the tenants would easily cover new insulation.
I bet the Wattingers would be up for that. Must be a nightmare living next to the Pontypines.

in my old house i fettled it by buying a few lengths of pipe insulation then cutting it into strips and plugged it in the bigger floorboard gaps. probably not the best solution but it was effective

in my old house i fettled it by buying a few lengths of pipe insulation then cutting it into strips and plugged it in the bigger floorboard gaps. probably not the best solution but it was effective
Yep, draught exclusion is priority, don't let the cold air physically into the room.
After that, you want to prevent the solid floor from being in thermal-contact with the cold air, that's the job of insulation.

Back