Dragon Age 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read a few reviews, and also thought about getting DA:O for the PS3, but based on what I can tell from the controls I'm not sure I'll like it.

Think I'm going to get the MacBook out and give the PC version another whirl instead although it's a bit of a ballache booting into windows, I quite fancy giving it a go again. Might try and link the laptop up with the big telly and see if I can get it in glorious 42 inches. :)

About 5 hours in and I love it. Shit loads of side quests but the game is incredibly easy on normal. The hardest part about the first Dragon you come across is keeping it attacking the tank rather than the mage.

Played this for a few hours today and I'm quite enjoying it. I agree with what Giddup said that the main plot doesn't seem to have any real drive about it; but I'm only a few hours in so hopefully that'll change soon. However, it certainly doesn't have that feeling of epicness that DA:O did.

The new fast paced combat isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be; however having waves of respawing enemies does seem a little cheap but I guess it just adds to the overall challenge of the game.

And on a side note; why is everyone in the game bisexual and why does every single lass on the game have large tits. I'm not complaining but it just seems a little odd. :lol:

Canny into this now, gets much better after the opening bits where it just all seemed canny rushed and not knowing wtf was going on.

Once in the city you can piss about doing different quests like the old one in order to advance the main quest.

Died a few times, the refresh rate on the taunts seems long to me and with the respawning enemies during most fights you just end up with your casters continually getting swamped and no way to get them off. Some of the fights which look easy suddenly become insane with the amount of spawns.

Finally got my casters to a position where they can crowd control so thats helping a bit.

Died a few times, the refresh rate on the taunts seems long to me and with the respawning enemies during most fights you just end up with your casters continually getting swamped and no way to get them off. Some of the fights which look easy suddenly become insane with the amount of spawns.
The cooldown on pretty much everything is too long in my opinion. It's 40 seconds for heal FFS; this wouldn't be too bad if the health potions didn't also have a 30 second cooldown anarl. :roll:

Another gripe I have is a lot of the caves and houses are EXACTLY the same. It's seems incredibly lazy and it does get a little bit tedious running through the same cave systems over and over again. At least I've reached the Deep Roads now, should be good for a change of scenery.

The cooldown on pretty much everything is too long in my opinion. It's 40 seconds for heal FFS; this wouldn't be too bad if the health potions didn't also have a 30 second cooldown anarl. :roll:

Another gripe I have is a lot of the caves and houses are EXACTLY the same. It's seems incredibly lazy and it does get a little bit tedious running through the same cave systems over and over again. At least I've reached the Deep Roads now, should be good for a change of scenery.

The Deep Roads is the first part where I had to actually control all my characters in a fight. Mainly because Isabela likes to die a lot and I didn't take a real tank :oops:

The last boss in there is really good though.

Wasn't too bad for a bit but I lost one of my healers due to a decision in game :evil: So I'm back to having just 1 healer and it can get a bit fruity when you have 30+ enemies beating the shit out of me.

Also noticing the same maps thing, very lazy of them. Doesn't get any better either as you have to keep going over the same areas even after the deep roads.

Also noticing the same maps thing, very lazy of them. Doesn't get any better either as you have to keep going over the same areas even after the deep roads.
It's not even like they've made similar maps with just a few changes; I mean how hard could that have been?

And to be honest I was disappointed with how short the Deep Roads expedition was. I was only in there for like an hour of gameplay, in Origins the Deep Roads lasted forever which it should.

It's not even like they've made similar maps with just a few changes; I mean how hard could that have been?

And to be honest I was disappointed with how short the Deep Roads expedition was. I was only in there for like an hour of gameplay, in Origins the Deep Roads lasted forever which it should.

I'm in the Deep Roads on Origins now, need to go back to Orzammar every half an hour to sell all the stuff I find as I keep on running out of space.

I'm in the Deep Roads on Origins now, need to go back to Orzammar every half an hour to sell all the stuff I find as I keep on running out of space.

Dont bother, just keep ditching the cheap stuff. I had way more money than I needed for most of the second half of the game.

you know i read a review in the Daily Mirror on Friday which said Dragon Age 2 was a 4/5 game (mind you every game in there gets over 3)

the statement that had me nearlly choking on me dinner was when it said something like

'the lethargic traversing over longwinded maps has been streamlined, leading to a much more refined gaming experience, even hardcore RPG fans baulked at the 80+ hours invested into Dragon Age Origins'

nee offense but that is how an RPG should be, full of differing choices to make and things to do, i put over 130 hours into FF8, 90+ into Fallout 3 and 45+ on my first playthrough of DA:O which i have just completed for the first time and i still have the DLC awakening to do too , an RPG that can be done in less than 20 hours is not an RPG in my eyes...merely a long adventure game with RPG elements.

seriously i read something from an ex employee of Bioware last week who said it wasnt the same company any more that he joined just over 10 years ago, that EA influence to get games done and out the door and work on the next project was going to kill the company, also said something along the lines of Mass Effect originally being a trilogy but EA want another 4 games including spin offs to capitalise on its cult following, the genre is dying on its arse and its nee wonder with big companies like EA.

They should have went bankrupt in 1985 and saved us a shit load of f***ing aggravation

Last edited:
Completely agree. The blame with this game (despite the fact I'm enjoying it) lies firmly with EA. They're insistance on rushing games has gotten absolutely ridiculous now; it's something which you can usually get away with in other genres but not even 18 months between DA:O and DAII is pathetic. No way you can make a game as great as Origins in just over a year.

Hopefully Skyrim will blow this out of the water and show EA what can happen when you give the developers time to design a truly epic game; although no doubt they'll be too busy county their £££££ and probably planning on bringing out DAIII. :roll:

Glad I held off on this. Was going to get the Signature edition but it was in my wish list and I never got round to it.

I think I'll wait until Xmas when there may be some sort of ultimate edition out.

you know i read a review in the Daily Mirror on Friday which said Dragon Age 2 was a 4/5 game (mind you every game in there gets over 3)

the statement that had me nearlly choking on me dinner was when it said something like

'the lethargic traversing over longwinded maps has been streamlined, leading to a much more refined gaming experience, even hardcore RPG fans baulked at the 80+ hours invested into Dragon Age Origins'

nee offense but that is how an RPG should be, full of differing choices to make and things to do, i put over 130 hours into FF8, 90+ into Fallout 3 and 45+ on my first playthrough of DA:O which i have just completed for the first time and i still have the DLC awakening to do too , an RPG that can be done in less than 20 hours is not an RPG in my eyes...merely a long adventure game with RPG elements.

seriously i read something from an ex employee of Bioware last week who said it wasnt the same company any more that he joined just over 10 years ago, that EA influence to get games done and out the door and work on the next project was going to kill the company, also said something along the lines of Mass Effect originally being a trilogy but EA want another 4 games including spin offs to capitalise on its cult following, the genre is dying on its arse and its nee wonder with big companies like EA.

They should have went bankrupt in 1985 and saved us a shit load of f***ing aggravation

Mass Effect is going to be a trilogy but even before BioWare were bought by EA they said they wanted to basically whore the universe the game is set in out.

Mind, since KotOR I've loved every BioWare game bar that Sonic one. DA2 isn't as good as DAO but its still better than most rpgs out there.

EA have always been about the money. You can tell from all the incarnations of things like FIFA. Not one of them worked fully and had everything in them. They would intentionally leave something out so you had to buy the next one, which would then fuck something else up so you had to buy the next.

As said above, RPG's are not meant to be 20 hours of pressing forward and clicking a button to complete :evil:

Guardian said pretty much the same mate. It has me really pissed off. We like messing around with skill trees and armor! :evil:

Oh for a good full on RPG game and not some dumbed down shite for console gamers.

Not a bad game, enjoyed it. But there is about 8 maps in total and it's all just regurgitated shite (much like Mass Effect was).

Felt almost like a point and click game at times and the interaction between the party was even poor. Felt like I had almost zero input to the game until picking sides at the end.

Give me a good Baldurs Gate with a freeflow gameplay and a miriad of places to go and equipment to get any day of the week...

Oh for a good full on RPG game and not some dumbed down shite for console gamers.

Not a bad game, enjoyed it. But there is about 8 maps in total and it's all just regurgitated shite (much like Mass Effect was).

Felt almost like a point and click game at times and the interaction between the party was even poor. Felt like I had almost zero input to the game until picking sides at the end.

Give me a good Baldurs Gate with a freeflow gameplay and a miriad of places to go and equipment to get any day of the week...
While I agree with what you say I don't agree with the bolded bit.

Most console gamers are still complaining that the game has been 'streamlined' far too much (myself included). It hasn't been dumbed down for console gamers, it's been dumbed down so that it's accessible for people who don't play RPG's; the Call of Duty audience, for example.

I enjoyed the game on my first playthrough, but I'm really struggling to complete another. I must've finished Origins at least 4 or 5 times and I could easily go back to that, however I just don't fell the same way about DAII. I'll probably finish this playthrough and then just wait until the plentiful, overpriced DLC is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back