Doyle

I liked Doyle but I don’t think it was a coincidence that our form improved when he was dropped
It wasn’t entirely coincidental but any of the back four/five could have been dropped and he was unlucky in some respects that he was the one. Right decision to protect him but if he’d had to play I would bet he’d have improved massively just as every other defender did.

Very few centre halves are really very good until their 20’s. Denis Smith said centre halves peak at about 28-30. Doyle was shocking for a while but was actually very good in the first third of the season for a child in a gnarly man’s clogger league. I think his lack of pace will prevent him from being absolutely top class but he’ll be good.
I’m not sure about that mind. Jonny Evans came to us at a similar age and controlled the defence. Doyle struggles to defend even at league one level, I don’t know why people try and deny it, he’s not even our player.

He’s very good with the ball at his feet playing out from the back though.

I’m not sure about that mind. Jonny Evans came to us at a similar age and controlled the defence. Doyle struggles to defend even at league one level, I don’t know why people try and deny it, he’s not even our player.

Tbf to Evans (who was class), he'd been on loan at Brugge before us. This lad had gone from basically schoolboy football to the horrors of League One.

Last edited:

Evans was brilliant but had experienced a previous loan and was a year older. He also went on to be an excellent centre half. I can’t really think of many other centre halves that were that good at 18. I’m sure there are some but it’s not common.

Evans was brilliant but had experienced a previous loan and was a year older. He also went on to be an excellent centre half. I can’t really think of many other centre halves that were that good at 18. I’m sure there are some but it’s not common.
Evans was doing it at premier league level though.

Like him me, he played more than his part in promotion.. Got a very good head on his shoulders for his age. Massive credit to his parents.. Hope he does well out the game..

LJ flogged him. AN couldn’t trust him. But some of the comments on this board about the lad are laughable.

He’s a bairn who has taken his first few steps towards learning his trade as a senior player and a proportion of our fan base expects the finished article. At 17/18

I worry about our own academy graduates coming through when some will rip one of the best regarded prospects in the country.

Back